"A mask for every American" Dhvani.com

Hapless Bills Fan

19 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

This is NOT affecting every part of the country in the same way.  One policy makes no sense for the entire country. 

I understand your point of view.  Many of my relatives live in areas that are not (currently) very affected in N. or S. MO, and that is how they feel.

Given this population-based map of covid-19 cases in the US over the last 4 weeks, which parts of the country do you feel should be exempt as we open back up and travel resumes?

image.thumb.png.050dd2c9288f43387df4182dfc54f385.png

Keep in mind light yellow areas (where there are cases) can easily become dark blue areas in a few weeks without some kind of mitigation measures, due to the magic of exponential growth.  Due to scarce testing and tracing, grey areas adjacent to areas with cases may be a "false negative"

At the start of the epidemic, we've been chasing where the virus is, by which time it's moved on. 

And in many of the current "grey" areas, hospitals are scarce (like the areas where my relatives live).  They explicitly depend upon airlifting serious medical cases to the nearest major medical center.  That doesn't work if the nearest major medical center is bombed.

99.2% of these fatalities had preexisting conditions.  Many of the Nursing Home deaths already had DNR orders.  The magic of exponential growth is not happening because the "models" are so flawed.

Never saw Gov Cuomo wearing a mask.  Testing is becoming more available.  "Tracing" is never going to be a reality because there's no reliable way to manage it.  It totally relies on the honesty of people and their memory of who/where/what etc. 

We are all entitled to our individual opinions/views but we likewise have rights and civil liberties that must be respected.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

99.2% of these fatalities had preexisting conditions.  Many of the Nursing Home deaths already had DNR orders.  The magic of exponential growth is not happening because the "models" are so flawed.

Never saw Gov Cuomo wearing a mask.  Testing is becoming more available.  "Tracing" is never going to be a reality because there's no reliable way to manage it.  It totally relies on the honesty of people and their memory of who/where/what etc. 

We are all entitled to our individual opinions/views but we likewise have rights and civil liberties that must be respected.

Like the Constitutional right to life? Your not wearing a mask threatens those near you in public. We wear a mask to protect you. Please have the same consideration.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

"Tracing" is never going to be a reality because there's no reliable way to manage it.  It totally relies on the honesty of people and their memory of who/where/what etc. 

Have you seen how Australia is doing tracing with their app?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/apr/28/covid-safe-app-how-to-download-australian-government-covidsafe-tracing-download-install-ios-app-store-iphone-phone-number-google-play-android-australia-coronavirus-tracking

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

What if you're AP-LESS? 

3 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

Like the Constitutional right to life? Your not wearing a mask threatens those near you in public. We wear a mask to protect you. Please have the same consideration.

That's your choice, please respect mine.

...if you have an immediate need and are located in WNY, the Rochester folks are making/selling them.......and very reasonable.....I can post the entire article if a subscription is necessary to see the vendors........

Where to buy face masks made by Rochester artists and tailors

Mary Chao, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle Published 4:47 a.m. ET April 28, 2020 | Updated 2:13 p.m. ET April 28, 2020

With family members who are essential workers at area hospitals, Fatima Bayram understands the need for protective gear. When the family's tailor shop, Thimble Tailor, had to close as a nonessential business, she and her brother Tufan decided to use their family's tailoring skills to make face masks. Together, they donated 500 masks to Rochester General Hospital and another 500 to University of Rochester Medical Center.

They also began selling them through phone orders, with appointments for touchless pickups.

The demand is even higher now as Gov. Andrew Cuomo issued an executive order that all people wear face coverings while in public as the state combats the coronavirus pandemic. 

Thimble Tailor is among the Rochester-area tailors and artists who are making face masks for sale. Here are some places to find Rochester-made face coverings.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2020/04/28/where-to-buy-face-masks-in-rochester-ny-during-coronavirus-outbreak/3032723001/

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

What if you're AP-LESS? 

I can’t respect someone who won’t take a simple step to protect others. My mother is 89 and my sister has cancer. You’re a threat to them and others with compromised immune systems. Please do the right thing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PastaJoe said:

I can’t respect someone who won’t take a simple step to protect others. My mother is 89 and my sister has cancer. You’re a threat to them and others with compromised immune systems. Please do the right thing.

Where do the live?  I'm In in Virginia and doubt that I threaten them in ANY way!  

7 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Where do the live?  I'm In in Virginia and doubt that I threaten them in ANY way!  

They’re in Buffalo, but I’m going to go out on a limb and guess there are old people and those with cancer in Virginia too.

8 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Your civil liberties need to respect other people.  If you wish to insist that you be allowed to have untrammeled rights and civil liberties that infringe upon other people's rights and civil liberties - such as the right to health and life - why should that be respected? 

About those preexisting conditions.   In the recent JAMA study of a fraction of the hospitalized patients in one hospital system, in one city, these were the pre-existing conditions found in covid-19 patients:

-Hypertension.  45% of American adults have hypertension (source for all these: relevant CDC Statistical Summary 2020)
-Obesity.  42.4% of American adults are obese

-Diabetes >10% of American adults have diabetes

You seem to find it somehow comforting (or to diminish significance) that a high percentage of people who die from covid-19 may have a pre-existing condition that in fact affects 40-46% of all adult Americans.  Am I misunderstanding you? 

If it were true that 99.2% of people who die from covid-19 have a pre-existing condition (and I'd like your source, please) and it is likely one that affects almost half the people in the country, how does that make their deaths less significant, or justify you not taking a simple step to protect them by covering your handsome and distinguished face with a mask out in public?

About those DNR orders.  I don't think they mean what you think they mean.  Having a DNR order does not mean you are on "death's doorstep" with no life expectancy to speak of.  I have an 87 year old mother with a DNR order due to congestive heart failure.  Before the lockdown, she was driving herself, cooking for herself, shopping for herself, writing voluminous letters to lawmakers, and could have a life expectancy of 5-7 years.  She matters to people.  Her death counts, OK? 

If you believe you are justified to take away my mother's Rights to Life, Liberty and Pursuit of happiness and shorten her life expectancy just because she has a DNR, or you're justified to take away the rights of many people here to same just because they have high blood pressure (along with 46% of adult Americans), I don't quite know what to say.

5 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I don't want to sound mean, but why should I respect a choice that interferes with the fundamental rights of other people to live? 

If you're a hermit living in northern Maine, or eastern Montana, or SE Utah, then sure - you probably don't affect anyone else.  Dowhatchalike.   Likewise on your own property.

But if you want the social benefits of living in a part of the country with supermarkets and drugstores and gyms and jobs and so forth, why should you be exempt from respecting other people's rights?   Especially for something so easy and trivial as wearing a freakin' mask over your schnoz when you go into an enclosed space or use a space like a park that is frequented by other people.

Sheesh.

PS on that exponential growth thing, this is a classic exponential growth curve.  It happens to be the confirmed Covid-19 cases in the US of A.

It's not as steep or as high as it could have been if we didn't have so much shutdown, but it's not as flat as it could be if people would just Do the Right Thing, either.  So let's not hear this shallow-as-an-August-stream critique that "exponential growth is not happening because the "models" are so flawed", OK?  This is US.  This is >$1M Americans.  And it's still exponential.  I spent too damn much of my life fitting exponential curves not to recognize one when I see it.

image.thumb.png.ac55100a5259be8fd9903ba1cc24e172.png

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Citizens may have the right to carry a gun or pocess a gun. They do not have the right to point the gun at me without reason, nor to they have the right to pull the trigger whether the gun is loaded with a live round or blank.

Anyone who ventures out into public with out a mask is potentially pointing a gun at fellow citizens, whether they are infected or not. 

These same people would resist being tested and being forced to put a blue dot on their forehead to prove they are safe,  that would be a threat to their flippin liberty. 

Wear a mask or be charged with a crime....period. IMHO.

This is a temporary measure and only the most disrespectful of people would refuse. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/28/2020 at 2:43 PM, Marv's Neighbor said:

Again - why should I respect a choice of yours that I can reasonably view as a threat to my well-being or my mother's life, not to mention potentially to our ability to open up and function as a society?  If you want to be part of that society - shop in stores, go to work, etc - why shouldn't you be asked to make a change that protects societal function and health of other individuals such as wearing a mask in public?  How does that differ from accepting other social standards, like wearing clothing in public or not relieving yourself in the potted plants outside the bar?

I don't think "but that politician, who will always get first-class front of the line health care for himself and his family and first priority for covid-19 testing, doesn't do it" is a very valid argument for you to not protect the health of the nursing home aide you encounter in the grocery store, who may work at a VA nursing home and unwittingly infect a whole wing of patients if her for-profit workplace isn't providing the workers with adequate PPE.

1 hour ago, Niagara Bill said:

Citizens may have the right to carry a gun or pocess a gun. They do not have the right to point the gun at me without reason, nor to they have the right to pull the trigger whether the gun is loaded with a live round or blank.

Anyone who ventures out into public with out a mask is potentially pointing a gun at fellow citizens, whether they are infected or not. 

These same people would resist being tested and being forced to put a blue dot on their forehead to prove they are safe,  that would be a threat to their flippin liberty. 

Wear a mask or be charged with a crime....period. IMHO.

This is a temporary measure and only the most disrespectful of people would refuse. 

I think the gun thing is a bit of an extreme as an analogy. 

And I hate wearing a mask while I'm out walking the dog.  It's already hot and bothersome here in St Louis.  It keeps me from smelling the roses (literally!  handmade, but good mask with shop towel filters).  But I do it, because I view it as a civic duty to protect my fellow citizens should I unknowingly be infected, and as my small individual contribution towards being able to reopen our country safely ASAP.

I personally would strenuously resist being forced to put a blue dot on my forehead to "prove" I am safe, because scientifically, there's no such proof at present - applied to a group, antibody tests are useful in showing what the overall infection rate is in a community.  On an individual basis, an antibody test showing anti-covid-19 antibodies could occur while I still have an active viral infection.  It could also result from a lab error, or a false positive.  So it really doesn't "prove" much, objectively.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.