RD 3, Pick 86: RB Zach Moss, University of Utah

SDS

11 hours ago, tcampbell104 said:

the name of the band came from a Muddy Waters song called i'm a rolling stone

Very well done Indeed !
 you are my new friend  for sure !
this is fact for those that care.

This year is going to be awesome for Bills  Offensively. just too many weapons to defend.
McBeanes are Team builders extraordinaire : )

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I think you are missing the point of the Intentional player program first of all. And age?  Many RB's with heave workloads play into their 30's 

Yes his age is getting high and they are not waiting for it to get higher

Wade is being rostered or cut and not called back. call it a bold prediction or whatever you want. but for me its an easy prediction.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 12:40 AM, Rocky Landing said:

Is it me, or does Moss have an odd, sort of upright running style? It looks like his shoulders never get as low as they should. 

Yes, IMO, he does tend to run too upright.    It's something he'll have to work on that hopefully won't hurt his vision or effectiveness.   

The downside of his running style is that it opens him up to more contact, which could shorten his career...

On 4/28/2020 at 11:53 AM, BigBuff423 said:

Michelle Magdziuk

⁦‪@BallBlastEm⁩

The very best-ranked player (by far) from the 2017-2020 classes was Zack Moss - his average ranking for all metrics was 2.5!

The very worst-ranked player (by far) from the 2017-2020 classes was Kalen Ballage - his average ranking for all metrics was 52.8! - LOL. ?

I bet Christian Wade would be a 1...

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 1:23 PM, billsfan89 said:

He doesn't have a long injury history or a lot of wear and tear on his body like a typical NFL player. He is 29 this season, if he gets on the PS for one more year he can make the roster at 30 and have a 2-4 year career fairly realistically. 

Er....doesn't Rugby at the professional level cause wear and tear on the body?

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Er....doesn't Rugby at the professional level cause wear and tear on the body?

It's a different level of wear and tear. Rugby has less high speed collisions and is just a different type of game. I think at age 30 he could realistically have 2ish years in the NFL before his body gives out.

I think 7 years of pro rugby is a lot less wear and tear than 7 years of NFL football.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

It's a different level of wear and tear. Rugby has less high speed collisions and is just a different type of game. I think at age 30 he could realistically have 2ish years in the NFL before his body gives out.

I think 7 years of pro rugby is a lot less wear and tear than 7 years of NFL football.

I dunno about that.  Anyone with some knowledge of the rugby game?  @GunnerBill?

My friend's son played both football and club rugby through highschool and continued with club rugby (WR and Wing).  He seemed to feel he got more sore from rugby and his mom felt rugby was harder for her to watch, but that's all perceptual and he wasn't an RB in football

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno about that.  Anyone with some knowledge of the rugby game?  @GunnerBill?

My friend's son played both football and club rugby through highschool and continued with club rugby (WR and Wing).  He seemed to feel he got more sore from rugby and his mom felt rugby was harder for her to watch, but that's all perceptual and he wasn't an RB in football

I have family that are avid rugby players, the one thing they talk about is the respect factor. They are less likely to be willing to take on certain collisions because they aren't wearing as much equipment. Not to say there aren't some real impacts to be had on a rugby pitch, but they are far more conscientious.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From my understanding Rugby has less concussions and serious injuries like torn ACL's and other various muscle/bone breaks due to the different nature of the game. I think what really wears down NFL players are the big time collisions and injuries. How many times do you see a player get a serious injury and they are never the same? Especially if that injury occurs later in their NFL career. 

So while I don't doubt Wade has some wear and tear on his body I would argue that it is less than that of a typical 29 year old NFL player. I don't think Wade could have a long NFL career but I think he could play into his 30's.

6 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I have family that are avid rugby players, the one thing they talk about is the respect factor. They are less likely to be willing to take on certain collisions because they aren't wearing as much equipment. Not to say there aren't some real impacts to be had on a rugby pitch, but they are far more conscientious.

From talking to a lot of Rugby players they say the reason there is less traumatic injuries is mostly due to the fact the game is less territorial than the NFL. In Rugby you just don’t have many situations where a yard or two is make or break. Rugby also has no forward passing or blocking which creates less exposure to awkward body positioning. 

In Rugby you are also almost consistently moving which creates a lack of momentum down to down. Whereas in the NFL you are constantly resetting yourself in a manner that is conducive to having more collisions and building momentum. As much as people want to say that Rugby is a similar game to the NFL the differences are massive. 

I don't think the lack of equipment actually serves as much of a deterrent for big hits and the like as much as the nature of the game in and of its self. At least that is what others who play the game have told me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The head collisions thing is because rugby coaches coach tackling technique from year dot. You are not allowed to get on the field in a school game if you can't tackle properly. If you don't wrap up you can be sent off. NFL teams have tried to learn from that and teach rugby tackling techniques (Seattle led the way and they kept having the #1 defense) but there are far fewer head to head type collisions in rugby. 

In terms of wear and tear on the body though I simply disagree. 80 minutes of intense rugby with many fewer breaks takes its toll on the body. And scrummaging is very dangerous. Even now when they basically are uncontested the vast majority of the time. I have seen enough broken ribs, collapsed lungs, blown out knees, torn ACLs and ripped achilles tendons from rugby to last me a lifetime. The only way I would say it is significantly safer or less bruising for the body is in terms of head injuries. 

The thing to remember with Wade though is he basically hasn't played in two years and he played a lot of sevens even before that which definitely IS less arduous than XVs or NFL football. So while I don't think any random 29 year old who had been playing competitive top flight Rugby since 18 is any less beaten up than a random 29 year old NFL player I do think when it comes to Wade there are probably legitimately fewer miles on the clock. 

• Thank you (+1) 5

the following is from PFF  (we all know how reliable / accurate they are)

last seasons "stats" on Elusiveness .. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-32-starting-running-backs-elusiveness

9. DEVIN SINGLETARY, BUFFALO BILLS

The Bills have an interesting situation at the running back position next season. Rookie Zack Moss, who they drafted in the third round of the 2020 NFL Draft, was dubbed the most elusive running back in the 2020 Draft Guide, and that’s Singletary’s calling card as well.

Across his final two seasons at FAU in 2017 and 2018, Singletary trailed only David Montgomery in broken tackles on the ground (179).

As a rookie last season, he forced 42 missed tackles on just 181 touches, once again making him one of the most elusive backs among his peers. The question becomes whether that is enough to hold off Moss as the season progresses. 

it's more Singletary centric, but it does reference Moss and hint he may take the #1 RB spot.