RD 3, Pick 86: RB Zach Moss, University of Utah

SDS

On 4/24/2020 at 11:01 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

DOn't hate it!

Better by a mile than Gore or Yeldon.

I love it! I wanted a bruising back - Dillon and Taylor but Moss is a stud! Yeldon I think will be our 3 and in on some passing downs. Mr Rugby guy will stay on the PS unless he really develops which is a nice problem to have. Taiwan gets the axe unless there is an injury in the backfield or special teamer.

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...hard not to believe the Moss signing as well as the UDFA FB (and St'er) leave Wade and DiMarco on the outside looking in......

Wade has a roster exemption will be on practice squad at the least. 

Stay safe and healthy!

20 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I keep looking at his film and I like him even more.  He is a physical beast and He really compliments Singletary well.  

I would love it if we could impose our will on teams by running.  I known the game has changed -“evolved” - but 2 backs that could hurt another team is nice to have.  

yep !

21 minutes ago, noacls said:

Wade has a roster exemption will be on practice squad at the least. 

Stay safe and healthy!

and Dimarco is ST Ace i believe. be surprised if both were not Bills this season coming

I watched the Mark Waldman piece about Zack Moss on Youtube on the big screen last night.   

I was left with the impression that Devin will be 1A in this committee.  But there is much to like.  Strong in pass protection, tough and fluid running, holds on tight with a real emphasis on keeping that Duke safe.  .   

I think we will be able to run the ball more effectively next year.  

Edited by CNYfan
fat thumbs
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

I love it! I wanted a bruising back - Dillon and Taylor but Moss is a stud! Yeldon I think will be our 3 and in on some passing downs. Mr Rugby guy will stay on the PS unless he really develops which is a nice problem to have. Taiwan gets the axe unless there is an injury in the backfield or special teamer.

I was a Dillon guy myself. I wasn't familiar with Moss, only what others have mentioned here. Any clips I've seen, he's a bruiser.

We're going to enjoy riding this horse.

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...hard not to believe the Moss signing as well as the UDFA FB (and St'er) leave Wade and DiMarco on the outside looking in......

I not sure they're even allowed to look. :flirt:

23 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I keep looking at his film and I like him even more.  He is a physical beast and He really compliments Singletary well.  

I would love it if we could impose our will on teams by running.  I known the game has changed -“evolved” - but 2 backs that could hurt another team is nice to have.  

Not too sure it’s “evolved” so to speak. The run game is as important as ever, and if you can get a team to load the box you can burn them. Virtually all the best teams last year were in the Top 10 in running the football. Obviously if you have the quarterback to go with that you’re golden.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’m looking forward to having a reliable RB to whom we can give the ball on 3rd and 4th once in a while so Josh doesn’t have to sneak it every time.  I’d like see Josh’s exposure to big hits significantly reduced this year. 

He should be both more effective, as well as less vulnerable to injury, by reducing his need for carries.

Edited by BuffaloBob
  • Like (+1) 1

Of all the games I watched Moss play, the "Holy War" against BYU last August gives a great idea of what he can bring to the Bills.    He was dynamic (29 carries, 187 yards, 1 TD) but also showed a few of his limitations (i.e., don't run him lateral to the LOS, he runs a bit upright, which causes him to absorb a lot of punishment).

It's a complete game tape, but worth the time to watch...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Singletary had 530 snaps in 12 games (of his rookie season). Frank Gore had 370 in 16 games, and TJ Yeldon 160 in 6 games.

I expect Moss and Singletary to alternate series starts, and end up about even in snap counts (maybe a bit more for Singletary). It should be pretty competitive, with each guy wanting to keep up with the other's level of play.

I'm very excited to see this tandem, and if they start putting them both out there, it could add a whole new dimension to the offense.

It could be be a way more versatile offense that could run out the clock better, deal with poor passing weather, and just generally give them more options to take advantage of an opponents weaknesses. They could have a real running threat EVERY down for a complete drive, no need to let up while the No. 1 recovers after a couple runs. That puts a lot of pressure on a defense.

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, DrDare said:

ridiculous

you roster him or cut him, he's not exactly young

I think you are missing the point of the Intentional player program first of all. And age?  Many RB's with heave workloads play into their 30's 

https://buffalowdown.com/2020/01/06/buffalo-bills-christian-wade-among-ten-signed-contracts/

There is no question that fans will be most excited to see what Christian Wade is able to do this summer and into preseason. He joined the Bills last year as part of the NFL International Player Pathway Program after a career in rugby.

The transition seemed to be almost seamless for Wade as he took his first career carry for a 65-yard touchdown against the Indianapolis Colts in the first preseason game. It will be interesting to see how Wade has developed over the year while with the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDare said:

ridiculous

you roster him or cut him, he's not exactly young

He doesn't have a long injury history or a lot of wear and tear on his body like a typical NFL player. He is 29 this season, if he gets on the PS for one more year he can make the roster at 30 and have a 2-4 year career fairly realistically. 

• Like (+1) 1

while nothing is guaranteed we just don't know what the Bills will do

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/20/bills-talk-up-the-potential-of-rugby-player-christian-wade/

Bills quarterback Josh Allen said he thinks he may be playing with Wade in a regular-season game this year.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Michelle Magdziuk broke down some PFF information several days BEFORE the Draft, and before anyone asks - the team she loves is the Steelers, regarding RBs and while I'm not good at the Twitter link stuff I'll do my best as I think it's enlightening at the very least:

spacer.png

Enoy8VCw_normal.jpg Michelle Magdziuklogo_twitter-1497383721365.png

‪@BallBlastEm

spacer_464x1-1582829598167.png

PFF put out an article stating that the metrics below were the most important when projecting RBs going from college to the NFL:

Rushing grade
Missed tackles/att
Yards after contact/att
Rec grade
Yds/Route Run

I went back a few RB classes to see how accurate this is. WOW!

4/17/20, 7:59 PM

Michelle Magdziuk

⁦‪@BallBlastEm⁩

PFF put out an article stating that the metrics below were the most important when projecting RBs going from college to the NFL:

Rushing grade
Missed tackles/att
Yards after contact/att
Rec grade
Yds/Route Run

I went back a few RB classes to see how accurate this is. WOW!

I gathered the metrics above for 53 Total RBs - every RB drafted in Rounds 1-4 from 2017-2019 & the majority of RBs expected to be drafted in 2020. (All top RB prospects included).

*All metrics from COLLEGE (NOT FROM THE NFL)*

Then, I ranked them out 1-53 for each metric based on their college stats. (1= best in that metric, 53 = worst in that metric)

I totaled the rankings for each metric, for each player, and calculated the AVERAGE ranking for all of these metrics combined.

A perfect score would be a 1 - which no one got.

The lowest possible score would be 53 - which one got insanely close to it.?

Michelle Magdziuk

⁦‪@BallBlastEm⁩

The very best-ranked player (by far) from the 2017-2020 classes was Zack Moss - his average ranking for all metrics was 2.5!

The very worst-ranked player (by far) from the 2017-2020 classes was Kalen Ballage - his average ranking for all metrics was 52.8! - LOL. ?

Enoy8VCw_normal.jpg

spacer.png

Michelle Magdziuk

‪@BallBlastEm

logo_twitter-1497383721365.png

spacer_464x1-1582829598167.png

Top 10 in Average Ranking:

Zack Moss* - 2.5!?
Jonathan Taylor* - 7.75
Darrell Henderson - 8.25
Dalvin Cook - 8.75
Joe Mixon - 11.75
Kareem Hunt - 12
Josh Jacobs - 13
Rashaad Penny - 14.5
AJ Dillon* - 15.5
Saquon Barkley - 16.5

* = 2020 RB Class
# = Average ranking per metric

Bottom 10:

Benny Snell - 38.25
Alexander Mattison - 39
D'Onta Foreman - 39
Samaje Perine - 40.25
Wayne Gallman - 40.5
Justice Hill - 40.75
Leonard Fournette - 40.75
?
Anthony McFarland* - 40.75
Joe Williams - 45
Kalen Ballage - 52.75

* = 2020 RB Class
# = Average ranking/metric

It seems like there really is a STRONG correlation between those metrics and success in the #NFL.

Believe it, don't believe it, I just wanted to show how accurate these grades and metrics have been over the years.

Disclaimer: I just used OVERALL TOTAL GRADE for each player instead of ranking Run Grade and Receiving Grade separately.
- I couldn't get access to 2020 Receiving grades for RBs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1