RD 3, Pick 86: RB Zach Moss, University of Utah

SDS

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Spain is at worst a midlevel starting guard. I don't see a weak link on the Oline granted my projection of Ford is optimistic.

Dawkins - Above average LT

Spain - Average at worst

Mitch - Top 5 to 7 player at his position. 

Feliciano - Average to Above Average

Ford - I project him to be more consistent in 2020 and at least be an average RT

They have Long, William's, Ty and Bates off the bench all of whom I think are starting caliber players. 

I'm no expert at OL, so maybe Spain is just fine where he is.

But correct me if I'm wrong, according to what you've said here, wasn't I correct that Spain is the weak link if you account for the fact that Ford was a rookie 2nd rounder?

21 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Not saying we don’t want productive. 
But I was hoping for an explosive home run hitter to take pressure of Allen so he doesn’t have to “matriculate” the ball down the field. 

I was being rhetorical with what does Moss bring. I know who he is and what he does. I just think Devin does the exact same thing in “grinding” out the tough yards. 

I’m positive I’m going to love Moss the first time he runs someone over or moves a pile. He’s a good player. I just wanted a different type of player

I think you will see the differences when they hit the field.  Moss gets us those tough yards inside the 5 yard line and those 4th and 1's.  I really think the homerun thing is very over blown.  How many RB's go 60-70 yards to the house, happens every once in awhile.  I want productivity, patience in the hole, vision, and quick feet.  Speed would be an added incentive but fast top end speed really isn't needed.  

Edited by offsides#76FredSmerlas
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

Dawkins had a great year

Spain gave up ZERO sacks

Morse is an above average center but mentally he is very sharp and gets the line in the right coverage's, extremely cerebral

Jon held his own and played solid for us, also filled in nicely at center when needed

Ford needs to make a big jump in year two, hurt us often, wouldn't be surprised to see him get beat out by Tyler Neitzke or Daryll Williams

Ok. 

Dawkins will earn his extension then. Beane will decide. 
Spain pass blocks very well.  Now move people for the run. He is not strong at this aspect 

Morse is good. But he cost a lot of $$. 
Jon is fierce. And adequate most of the time 

Ford needs to develop and is a key.  We traded up , and gave up a pick to get him.  If he is not a RT he is an RG. 

Our line was good.  When they play great I’ll say it. But not until they do. 

22 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

All 5 offensive line players were playing with each other for the first time last season and Ford was a rookie at a position that takes adjusting for alot of players. Oline is a unit where continuity matters more so than any other unit. 

I think all 5 starters along the O-line are average or better players (all of whom are under 30) and there is quality starting caliber depth behind them. I think Ford being more consistent and the continuity will propel the unit from a mid-level unit to a top 10 unit.

I hope so and it could very well happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

Ok. 

Dawkins will earn his extension then. Beane will decide. 
Spain pass blocks very well.  Now move people for the run. He is not strong at this aspect 

Morse is good. But he cost a lot of $$. 
Jon is fierce. And adequate most of the time 

Ford needs to develop and is a key.  We traded up , and gave up a pick to get him.  If he is not a RT he is an RG. 

Our line was good.  When they play great I’ll say it. But not until they do. 

I will say this as well.  Beane is smart and if we had that bad of a line he would have grabbed a guy with one of the first two picks or made a bigger splash move in free agency.  I truly feel we have a very good line if we shore up the right tackle spot.  Josh Allen holds on to the ball longer than any QB in the NFL and that's a fact.  This obviously results in more sacks and more penalties.  This reminds me of when Rob Johnson was getting smashed for 7 or 8 sacks a game and everyone said our line is not good.  Then Flutie comes in and the guy gets rid of the ball in a timely manner and the sack numbers go way down.  I know you aren't saying we are terrible Bob but we also might be a lot better than most realize at that position.

Gotta be honest.  I like the POSITION but not the pick, at all.  Way too high for Moss, and I personally think we could have landed him in a later round.

I'd have gone with WR Devin Duvernay, Texas.  Yes we have Diggs, but our other starters are over 30 and this in my opinion the WR's in round 2 were of better value.  Most of the WR talent are bon afide starting material, where Moss will never be more of a role player/backup.  Brown and Beasley are old and will start to fade, so it's very important to add youth to an aging position..  I see this as a missed opportunity.

Beane got a HIT by trading for Diggs, and then followed up with an extremely solid round 2.  Didn't panic and trade up, and got a very good EDGE rusher.  

Bad pick in round 3.  

In round 4, I hope he redeems himself with one of the following (in order of preference):

WR Donovan Peoples-Jones, Michigan

CB Darnay Holmes, UCLA

TE Colby Parkinson, Stanford

OG Ben Bredeson, Michigan

CB Lamar Jackson, Nebraska

OT Prince Tega Wanogho, Auburn

WR KJ Hill, Ohio State

TE Hunter Bryant, Washington

WR Juan Jennings, Tennessee

WR Collin Johnson, Texas

CB Troy Pride Jr. Notre Dame

1 minute ago, Yantha said:

Gotta be honest.  I like the POSITION but not the pick, at all.  Way too high for Moss, and I personally think we could have landed him in a later round.

I'd have gone with WR Devin Duvernay, Texas.  Yes we have Diggs, but our other starters are over 30 and this in my opinion the WR's in round 2 were of better value.  Most of the WR talent are bon afide starting material, where Moss will never be more of a role player/backup.  Brown and Beasley are old and will start to fade, so it's very important to add youth to an aging position..  I see this as a missed opportunity.

Beane got a HIT by trading for Diggs, and then followed up with an extremely solid round 2.  Didn't panic and trade up, and got a very good EDGE rusher.  

Bad pick in round 3.  

In round 4, I hope he redeems himself with one of the following (in order of preference):

WR Donovan Peoples-Jones, Michigan

CB Darnay Holmes, UCLA

TE Colby Parkinson, Stanford

OG Ben Bredeson, Michigan

CB Lamar Jackson, Nebraska

OT Prince Tega Wanogho, Auburn

WR KJ Hill, Ohio State

TE Hunter Bryant, Washington

WR Juan Jennings, Tennessee

WR Collin Johnson, Texas

CB Troy Pride Jr. Notre Dame

Beane said he was shocked that he was still on the board and was nervous because he wanted him so bad.  Hmmmm you think we reached?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

I will say this as well.  Beane is smart and if we had that bad of a line he would have grabbed a guy with one of the first two picks or made a bigger splash move in free agency.  I truly feel we have a very good line if we shore up the right tackle spot.  Josh Allen holds on to the ball longer than any QB in the NFL and that's a fact.  This obviously results in more sacks and more penalties.  This reminds me of when Rob Johnson was getting smashed for 7 or 8 sacks a game and everyone said our line is not good.  Then Flutie comes in and the guy gets rid of the ball in a timely manner and the sack numbers go way down.  I know you aren't saying we are terrible Bob but we also might be a lot better than most realize at that position.

I think Beane is hoping another year of those 5 guys gelling will make them into an above average offensive line. 

• Like (+1) 1