RD 3, Pick 86: RB Zach Moss, University of Utah

SDS

Just now, NoSaint said:

shocked? No. Unhappy? No. Surprised? Yes. I think they will want a little experience in the room based on what we’ve seen of their culture building. I doubt we end up with singletary, 2 rookies, and a rugby player in the building week 1 even if it’s our most talented option.

I would be suprised.....with Moss we now have a back that covers every area

- Motor (elusive)

- Moss (banger)

- Yeldon (pass catcher)

The Athletic live tracker:

86. Buffalo Bills: Zack Moss, RB, Utah

The Bills found value at the running back position in the third round last year with Devin Singletary and they do it again here with Moss. The contact balance is what makes the Utah product dangerous because he attacks defenders and bounces off contact, breaking tackle after tackle. The medicals are a little bit of a worry here, but his talent was top-50 worthy.

From the beat writer: The Buffalo Bills had been sniffing around running backs in the draft process, including a meeting with their third-round pick, and landed a coveted option in Utah’s Zack Moss. The Bills feel quite strongly about the current starter and second-year player Devin Singletary as a featured back, though they wanted to give him a complementary back with a contrasting style. They tried it last year with Frank Gore as the downhill runner, and past mid-October, Gore’s play dipped by a great deal. In Moss, the Bills are getting that downhill style that can give them another option out of the backfield, and he can potentially fill in as a three-down back in the event of an injury to Singletary. Their offensive coordinator likes to have running backs who do different things, so this pick makes sense through the lens of all their philosophies. —Matt Fairburn

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You are talking about a fraction of a second

It’s the 40 in the NFL, everything is fractions of seconds. But it’s about 0.3 sec slower than MJD, about the same speed as Gronk, and less than .1 slower than Mario Williams. 

It is not a deal breaker obviously. But it is a valid concern heading into the season. 

Just now, BillsVet said:

Because as we all know...the key to winning is running and stopping the run.  

Oh wait, that was the 1985 NFL calling.  Sorry. 

I know the Chiefs won the super bowl but half the playoff teams relied on their running game more than passing.

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Because as we all know...the key to winning is running and stopping the run.  

Oh wait, that was the 1985 NFL calling.  Sorry. 

Controlling games against high powered offenses is very important

Want to beat teams with good offense?  Control the ball and help your D

You do that by running the ball

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

It’s the 40 in the NFL, everything is fractions of seconds. But it’s about 0.3 sec slower than MJD, about the same speed as Gronk, and less than .1 slower than Mario Williams. 

It is not a deal breaker obviously. But it is a valid concern heading into the season. 

Are we talking about a 40 he was hurt in and tried to run anyway?

• Thank you (+1) 3

I honestly dont consider it a concern at all

If you are a player your a player

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, zevo said:

I don’t think espenesa and moss are starters....Rotational pieces 

I guess I use the word starter too loosely. I meant these guys are going to play and contribute. I think neither guy is a "polish his game and he might see some playing time" like a lot of 3rd round picks. Epenesa is going to pass rush and moss will carry the rock.

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

^ obviously didn't watch the Titans last year

Good offenses beat good defenses.  See the SB win or AFCCG.  Pretty much every game KC or BAL play.  Those are the teams Buffalo needs to beat to advance.

• Like (+1) 1

And what's a football season without valid concerns, am I right?

• Like (+1) 1