RD 3, Pick 86: RB Zach Moss, University of Utah

SDS

2 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Yeah stood out to me as well. Major flashbacks to Gilmore which still irks me...IDK hopefully just bad timing with the camera and most people love Buffalo once they get there! 

When they cut to him he already had the Bills hat on.  They already knew.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I like Moss as a player, but come on man don’t be an ungrateful person. Buffalo isn’t perfect but show some excitement. 

I guess when you are located in Cali, the idea of coming to buffalo isn’t all that exciting...but he will see

Needed this....as we see.,..EVERY year someone would go down in either RB or WR and we would be left signing guys off the street or PS guys you had but did you really WANT TO HAVE TO start them vs top opponents??happened for years now even when we had Shady.....now at least you have a shot to have at least 1 HEALTHY GOOD RB aka a non PS or street FA healthy...

• Thank you (+1) 1

Third on the team in receptions last year.

16 plays of 25 yards or more!

Pac-12 offensive player of the year!

A north-south runner with catching and big play ability.

Frank Gore jr, or as my autocorrect called him: Thor Fire jr.

• Haha (+1) 7

Per Matt Waldman:

5. Zack Moss, Utah (5-9, 223)  

Depth of Talent Score: 83.9 = Rotational Starter: Executes at a starter level in a role playing to their strengths. 

There are better backs above Moss on this list and there are backs that could easily have better careers listed below him. Regardless of talent, we all have our personal favorites. Moss is one of mine because I like smart, physical running backs.  

If there’s a player who can challenge Jonathan Taylor as the most physically imposing runner in this class, Moss is on the short list and is the most compelling. Moss’s game is a mix of Travis Henry and Ricky Williams. 

Like Chris Carson, Derrick Henry, Leonard Fournette, and Ezekiel Elliott, Moss is the type of back who, with enough work, will transform opposing cornerbacks and safeties into artful dodgers at the end of games. Moss brings it hard on every play and it’s why by the fourth quarter defensive backs hope they can tackle a power back like Moss without completely selling out their bodies to do so and that leads to long runs.   

We forget that football is a contest of will and, as wellconditioned as these athletes are, when one team imposes its will on another, even the top percentile of athletes will physically or emotionally quit. They don’t usually admit it until their careers are over but it happens weekly.  

Moss has this kind of will-breaking physicality. His stiff arm has the weight to drop linebackers to the turf, ward off reaches to his frame, or deflect glancing shots that set up his spin. He breaks multiple tackles during carries, including low and high hits and wraps.  

Because Moss has flexibility as an athlete, he has the pad level to hammer down low hits and float over the top or to work underneath contact and extend. He’s a short yardage hammer who knows he’s a hammer. When Moss doesn’t hit a crease hard, there’s logic behind the decision and space to make the decision a successful one.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

When they cut to him he already had the Bills hat on.  They already knew.  

Hope that was it. They all kinda looked shocked and bummed out...FLorida guy who lives in Cali. Was probably hoping for warm weather and not the Buff. He did weather Utah, so maybe it isn't so big a thing...