RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

At the end of the day, the Bills’ top remaining need after acquiring Diggs was an edge player.

They got one who many thought would go in round 1, who had great college production.

His floor is Shaq Lawson, his ceiling is Cam Jordan. He was the legit BPA. DE is a higher value position than HB. It just is.

Whats not to like?

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Diggs MIGHT be great at some point?  What are you on?

And Singletary was a OROTY candidate.

Diggs wasn't the best WR on his team.  And he made a big deal bout it publicly.

Singletary was hardly used by his own OC.  What's the hard part about this?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont suppose you need to be reminded that long armed players tend to not do as well on the bench?

He is so slow he is double digit in sacks his last 3 years

You're trying to tell me results on the field matter more than arbitrary 40 times for a 280 pound D-lineman?  Get out of town.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

My immediate reaction was unhappy, but I’m coming around to “meh.” They simply got a cheaper version of Shaq Lawson for four years. Several teams are doing the same thing by selecting players at positions they’ve let go. 

I'm trying to come around to "meh" because I trust McDermott to understand how a player will fit his scheme; just doesn't address my concerns about the deficiencies we have w/ our DE unit as a whole.

Hoping the combine was an aberration. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Come on....back up your post! No need to run away.  No one is regarding Brown and Beasley as "possibly great"---a d that's OK. And Singletary has a LONG way to go to be considered such.  All of this is obvious.  No need for silly hyperbole.

I hate being challenged like this?- Brown is  great(top 20 in entire NFL) and Beasley is good. Arguing Diggs is not great means you think only a few  WR are great. Singletary is great and I will state based on last 8 games last year. I will also state that no one drafted at 54 will be a starter on this team this year without injury. Lastly many people are predicting Buffalo to the SB next year due to our offense being better, so the hyperbole is not just me but several non Bills fans.

Without Shaq Lawson & Jordan Phillips, I really hope the line with Oliver & Espenesa can still keep up solid pressure. 

I know we weren't terrorizing the league with nonstop sacks, but we managed to get decent pressure with 4 man fronts often enough that our secondary benefited tremendously. 

Like the pick, seems like a solid addition. 

so one thing i noticed about aj that actually reminded me of Bruce is the way he tackles..he gets high up on the shoulders and wraps his apponents up...this way he has a leverage/weight advantage over them...watch highlights about Bruce and he loved to tackle this way.   Also you cant over rate a colllege player with a strong skill set.   A player with strong athletism sometimes doesnt develop the skills and then age erodes that speed leaving a slow untalented player.   

im excited to see what he can do.   right now with a more than likey short off season and everything up in the air a player with a strong skillset is going to dominate as a rookie.   

if Beane is happy im happy

• Like (+1) 2

I get the people trying to label AJ as a LDE given his height and lack of umm...burst, but he definitely looks capable and if not him @ RDE then whom?  

Edit: I suppose it's likely that Hughes will be around next year. Even still, I like Epenesa on the right side.

Edited by VW82

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

I hate being challenged like this?- Brown is  great(top 20 in entire NFL) and Beasley is good. Arguing Diggs is not great means you think only a few  WR are great. Singletary is great and I will state based on last 8 games last year. I will also state that no one drafted at 54 will be a starter on this team this year without injury. Lastly many people are predicting Buffalo to the SB next year due to our offense being better, so the hyperbole is not just me but several non Bills fans.

Brown has been around for 6 years and barely hit 1000 yards twice. For a team's leading receiver, that's nothing these days.   Singletary had one 100 yard game over the last 8 games.

Ok...everyone is great.  Just because.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You are straight trolling with this *****

Yes, I made all of that up.  LOL

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

yes. PM me your address and my Rob Johnson jersey will be in the mail To you tomorrow. 

If your jersey purchase selection is any indicator of your player analysis prowess...I'm liking the Epenesa pick even more.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

I'm trying to come around to "meh" because I trust McDermott to understand how a player will fit his scheme; just doesn't address my concerns about the deficiencies we have w/ our DE unit as a whole.

Hoping the combine was an aberration. 

His combine had no bearing on my take as we have to take the underwear olympics with a grain of salt. It’s just that little about his game jumped out at me when I watched his games and video. I think he can be a passable rotation player, and that DOES have value in this defense, but he’s not an explosive pass rusher who is going to make impact plays. Dependable players have their place, though. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’m happy with it. If they’re allowed to keep 55 on the roster as opposed to 53, I could see them keeping 10 defensive linemen.

I was not expecting it, but personally I love it.

DE:

Hughes

Addison

Epenesa 

Murphy

D. Johnson

DT:

Oliver

Lotulelei

Phillips

Jefferson

Butler

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

You are straight trolling with this *****

Ya for the stat-lovers complaining AJ is slow, it is easy to pull up numbers to show Diggs was one of the best in the league not just his team.  Singletary was also a small school rookie so that troll's nonsense is hilarious.