RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

5 minutes ago, colin said:

AJ was a non factor this season, which is not acceptable for a 2nd round pick at a position of need.  obv he has lots of room and time to improve, but this does speak to the new wave idea of building a team with absolute super stars, and filling in everywhere else w the draft and the odd value FA.

because we had this silly notion of a super deep DL where we just rush the passer and blow up run fits with fresh legs, we had players like murphy (8mm a year inactive player) and butler/addison (sub replacement level production at ~9MM a year) taking burn away from the young rookies.

if we had a Rams/KC approach instead of a few stars and then everyone else, maybe we'd have a difference maker DE or DT in FA (seems like TB was able to get both of those with Suh and JPP) and while you'd expect the rookie to struggle at first (our over priced Jags did too, and kept it up!) by the end of the season you have a real asset on the cheap.

we've signed 5 DL on bigger FA contracts recently (star, murph, and the 3 stiffs last year) and maybe Star is good, the rest not.  we signed 2 TEs on not small contracts (klien being expensive, smith being meh) and they blow, we've signed 2 i think linebackers at over 1mm a year (klien over all was not a good fit IMO vs his cap, rest is depth).  

we signed our two safeties for fairly cheap contracts, total home run.  we signed beez and brown to a total of like 12mm a year or so, great (even tho brown is always hurt and will likely walk).  williams was a great 1y guy at OT, hope it keeps up, morse is a slightly above average starter payed all pro money, spain was an ok signing, bad extension.

if instead of trafficking in all of that trash, we focused on getting stars, and getting max value otherwise, i think guys like epenessa would be better today, and at the very least we'd know more about him.

This is a home run post. Well said. 

Teams like KC and TB have weapons all over the field. It’s not wonder they are where they are. There is still a TON of work to do on our offense. Diggs is all world, but Beasley is a guy that makes great plays but doesn’t do anything after the catch. We have no running game. Our tight ends stink. Josh and Diggs are our entire offense for the most part. 

If we want to challenge KC we need to be able to score points. Adding another weapon to go along with Diggs on offense would be huge. I’m not sure if that means Ettienne or Harris at running back, Toney at Wr, or Freiermuth at TE. That’s up to Beane to decide. I do know, though, that KC is the blueprint and we need follow suit. 

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I didn’t (and don’t) even think AJ was the BPA there.

The pick makes me more upset when I have to relive that moment. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Something odd happened to Epenesa. I watched him many times his senior year at Iowa and didn’t even recognize him in a Bills uniform. The Training Staff somehow turned this college bull rushing DE into Aaron Maybin within the span of a few offseason weeks! Not acceptable, on someone’s watch.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Correct.  Asking him to completely change his body type and game in a shortened rookie offseason was an epic player development FAIL.  He needs a much better offseason plan this time around.

To me, they knew he was going to need time to adjust his body type to the pro game (so more of a need to than an "ask" to) and they also didn't draft him as an immediate "get on the field" need and had to learn some more of the nuances of the game. He lost a bit too much weight by working extra hard but either way he's a development player that should be at or near his expected performance levels by year 3. Not sure he'll ever be a game changer but projects as a solid player who can certainly contribute.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Something odd happened to Epenesa. I watched him many times his senior year at Iowa and didn’t even recognize him in a Bills uniform. The Training Staff somehow turned this college bull rushing DE into Aaron Maybin within the span of a few offseason weeks! Not acceptable, on someone’s watch.

I tend to agree. This is a huge disappointment on the bills part. Epenesa was NEVER a speed guy. Why are they trying to put a square peg into a round hole with this guy?  To me he’s a huge wasted pick. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not with the way they game planned against him. I doubt he would make a difference vs Kelce anyway. That's a reach. 

That’s the point. If you have Chinn, the game plan for Kelce is different. Good grief...

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

That’s the point. If you have Chinn, the game plan for Kelce is different. Good grief...

That's a ridiculous assumption that McDermott changes how he covers the best TE in the NFL based on a rookie. 

Chinn is a good player but he wouldn't have gotten the playing time in Buffalo. You're likely also taking Taron Johnson off the field to replace him with a big safety. I just don't see it. Chinn would have been used sparingly. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That's a ridiculous assumption that McDermott changes how he covers the best TE in the NFL based on a rookie. 

Chinn is a good player but he wouldn't have gotten the playing time in Buffalo. You're likely also taking Taron Johnson off the field to replace him with a big safety. I just don't see it. Chinn would have been used sparingly. 

Is it?  I don’t think it is. Chinn might have played “sparingly”, but he would have been used pretty routinely for these athletic tight ends like Kelce. So, yeah...I do think it would have been a different game plan. 

You’re entitled to your opinion, though. 

Edited by whorlnut

Just now, whorlnut said:

Is it?  I don’t think it is. Chinn might have played “sparingly”, but he would have been used pretty routinely for these athletic tight ends like Kelce. So, yeah...I do think it would have been a different game plan. 

They have a freak of a LB that they could have put in Kelce's face every snap. They have another very good cover LB they could have put in his face. They didn't attempt any of it. 

Saying McDermott would have lined up a rookie over Kelce and played him aggressively is a stretch. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They have a freak of a LB that they could have put in Kelce's face every snap. They have another very good cover LB they could have put in his face. They didn't attempt any of it. 

Saying McDermott would have lined up a rookie over Kelce and played him aggressively is a stretch. 

Is it?  Chinn is likely the defensive rookie of the year. He’s pretty good in his own right. 

9 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Is it?  Chinn is likely the defensive rookie of the year. He’s pretty good in his own right. 

Not all situations are equal. Who comes off the field? Taron Johnson, Matt Milano, Tremaine Edmunds, or Jordan Poyer? 

Would they use Edmunds more as a pass rusher? It changes the defense completely. I just don't know if he would have played. 

Let me add that a Chinn pick or that big safety pick would have likely been a depth pick planning on Milano's departure the following season. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Great point. Me too. Again, I hated the pick, but I was slowly getting used to envisioning Epenesa over power tackles and wreck the pocket. Now he looks like a completely different player. My point is...if the Bills wanted speed off the edge then why do you draft this guy in the first place?

I envisioned him at LDE setting the edge and pushing RTs into the QBs lap. Did not expect the newer slimmer version of Epenesa at all.... Don’t hate the pick as I figured that he’d take a year to figure it out as he improved his technique and hand fighting. Hope he’ll gain some functional strength and find a good middle ground where he maintains some of the burst he gained from the weight loss. 

18 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Likely defensive rookie of the year?  Chase Young may have something to say about that.   He wasn't even the most productive or best safety drafted this year.  He was good this year, but Washington drafted a guy named Kamren Curl in the 7th round who outplayed Chinn.   

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I envisioned him at LDE setting the edge and pushing RTs into the QBs lap. Did not expect the newer slimmer version of Epenesa at all.... Don’t hate the pick as I figured that he’d take a year to figure it out as he improved his technique and hand fighting. Hope he’ll gain some functional strength and find a good middle ground where he maintains some of the burst he gained from the weight loss. 

They drafted him because based on years of analysis by guys they pay very highly, Epenesa was the best football player on the board when they drafted.  

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

48 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

In general I think we need to quit trying to decide a player's value based on one season.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Epenesa came in next year and showed massive improvement.. he obviously has talent and a good work ethic (this whole “twitchy” thing is so overrated). A full offseason with NFL coaching will do wonders. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

They drafted him because based on years of analysis by guys they pay very highly, Epenesa was the best football player on the board when they drafted.  

You’re kidding.... and here I was thinking that they drafted Epenesa because he was the lowest ranked player on their draft board. 🙄

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Likely defensive rookie of the year?  Chase Young may have something to say about that.   He wasn't even the most productive or best safety drafted this year.  He was good this year, but Washington drafted a guy named Kamren Curl in the 7th round who outplayed Chinn.   

But I read here more than once that he was the rookie who would have gotten the Packers that SB win.....