RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

On 4/26/2020 at 10:42 AM, WizdomCalling said:

Very Aaron Schobel ish to me and not just because of #94 

(Idk if this point has been made, didn't feel like reading 37 pages just to make sure. Please don't roast me if someone else already said it ?)

You should be roasted for not reading the prior 37 pages. Not your take.

11 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

You should be roasted for not reading the prior 37 pages. Not your take.

It's also just a terrible take in the first place. Schobel was undersized and lacked power. Epenesa is big and powerful. And without reading the 20 or so pages I've missed, I'm hoping this has been pointed out repeatedly. I truly don't understand the comparison.

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

It's also just a terrible take in the first place. Schobel was undersized and lacked power. Epenesa is big and powerful. And without reading the 20 or so pages I've missed, I'm hoping this has been pointed out repeatedly. I truly don't understand the comparison.

You should be roasted for not reading the prior 20 pages or so. Not your take. ?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WorstTEever81 said:

Just thinking:

Hughes-Jefferson-Oliver-Addison

Epenesa-Phillips-Star-Murphy

Vernon Butler and Darryl Johnson as reserves.... that’s one heck of a rotation!

IMO it’s more:

Hughes-Butler-Oliver-Epenesa

Addison-Star-Jefferson-Murphy

Johnson and Phillips in reserve

If you really don’t want a team to be able to run the ball:

Jefferson-Star-Butler-Epenesa

If Murphy gets cut (I think it is likely) you either see more Johnson at End or Phillips at 3 tech with Jefferson at end

Sub package you might see something like:

Hughes-Jefferson/Epenesa-Oliver-Addison

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
On 4/26/2020 at 12:36 PM, Augie said:

I have to believe that the drop off in DE from round 2 to round 3 was greater than the drop off in RB....because Dobbins sure did look like a sweet pick!  I wonder how they had Moss rated vs Dobbins? These guys know infinitely more about this than I do, and they have a great track record, so I trust this was the best way to go. 

I bet some of Beane’s angst leading up to the Moss pick was because he knew it was a gamble to go DE first. 

I bet Dobbins and Moss were similar.  Epenesa would have been the 1 guy sticking way out. 

1.  De is a more important position than Rb. 

2.  Almost everyone rated Espenesa 20 to 30 overall. 

3.  The draft was very thin at De and pretty deep at Rb.

4.  Moss does not have the deep speed as Dobbins, he does make more defenders miss.  

At the start of day 2, Buffalo was primed for a solid player to fall to them.  I think Epenesa was that player.  The picks of Epenesa and Moss are not sexy, they are geat fits and provided the greatest value.  On a playoff team with the majority of key players returning Buffalo added 2 guys who will be on the feild alot day 1.

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I bet Dobbins and Moss were similar.  Epenesa would have been the 1 guy sticking way out. 

1.  De is a more important position than Rb. 

2.  Almost everyone rated Espenesa 20 to 30 overall. 

3.  The draft was very thin at De and pretty deep at Rb.

4.  Moss does not have the deep speed as Dobbins, he does make more defenders miss.  

At the start of day 2, Buffalo was primed for a solid player to fall to them.  I think Epenesa was that player.  The picks of Epenesa and Moss are not sexy, they are geat fits and provided the greatest value.  On a playoff team with the majority of key players returning Buffalo added 2 guys who will be on the feild alot day 1.

I agree and I’m happy with our draft, but I can already hear the folks coming out of the woodwork when Dobbins starts tearing it up next season. Part of that will be because he landed on the Ravens and not the Bengals, but that will be lost on the pitchfork crowd. 

I was pleased to hear that Moss ran faster at his pro day. Teams need “solid” players. You can’t have an entire team consisting of Neon  Deions. Setting the edge, getting the tough 3rd and 2 or picking up the blitz is like defense and rebounding in basketball. You need those guys even if it’s not sexy. 

I think Espenesa and Moss have massive upside.  Epenesa is only 21.  He dominted the big 10 and drafted OTs.  He could become Cam Jordan or Michael Bennet for us.  Thats more than just solid.  Moss has the ability to be Hunt or Kamara quality.  I think people are under selling both there ability and potential.

• Like (+1) 1

• 8 months later...

This may not be (or may be!) a popular take but I actually liked what I saw from Epenesa as the year went on. Has some speed and started to get near plays in the backfield late in the year.

I think an off-season with camps is going to do this kid wonders. Calling it now, Epenesa will be the Bills most improved player next season.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

This may not (or may be!) a popular take but I actually liked what I saw from Epenesa as the year went on. Has some speed and started to geht near plays in the backfield late in the year.

I think an off-season with camps is going to do this kid wonders. Calling it now, Epenesa will be the Bills most improved player next season.

He did as the year went on. He came in a bit lightweight but started to beef up as the year went on. 

I truly think he will have breakout season next year and agree 100% with you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Beast said:

This may not be (or may be!) a popular take but I actually liked what I saw from Epenesa as the year went on. Has some speed and started to get near plays in the backfield late in the year.

I mentioned in a comment before he seemed to have a real knack for jumping really high and having hands up on passes where he had no shot at a sack. He may end up getting a few interception assists if he gets hands on a ball 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Beast said:

This may not (or may be!) a popular take but I actually liked what I saw from Epenesa as the year went on. Has some speed and started to geht near plays in the backfield late in the year.

As many of us noted here on the Wall, Epenesa was playing far too light early on.

In college they like guys to pack on the pounds, but the Bills were looking for more balance and speed. I am glad Beane addressed this in his end of season presser. They had asked him to drop more of the body fat and Epenesa took extreme measures and dropped what looked like 3 weight classes. We saw how he was getting blown off the edges especially on runs and so did the Bills coaches so they asked him to put some more weight back on.

I think with his frame he can handle getting up to around 270-275 with a good strength and nutrition plan without losing too much speed. I don't think they would want to see him any heavier than that. Originally I had not watched much of what he did in Iowa, but early on I thought he played a bit too long and upright for a stick-figure end. Over the second half of the year you could see that good burst/first step with surprising balance and leverage. He uses his long arms and hands well to fend off blockers and seems to have natural instincts diagnosing plays, tracking the ball, and taking the right gaps.

If he can stay healthy I think this kid has a good ceiling and will work out well for us so kudos to Beane and the scouting staff.

I like what we have in Darryl Johnson too. He came in really raw so has a longer runway, but he has that prototypical build and speed and strength you want in a DE. He just has not had a lot of coaching up. He has shown in flashes and I think he just needs more playing time. I think he will get more playing time as Beane is forced to trim the DL roster this offseason.

Apparently Trent was usually inactive because Johnson is a beast on ST and they also had Johnson as an emergency DE if someone in their rotation got dinged.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1