RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

14 hours ago, njbuff said:

I saw Epenesa being compared to Schobel and I died laughing. He is NOTHING Schobel.

The best comparison you can come up with is Clyde Simmons. Simmons was a power player and was a little bigger than Epenesa is now, but their playing styles are very similar if you watch the tape.

The comparison I was using for him was Aaron Smith of the Steelers. He is a guy that probably won’t be super flashy but will play for a long time. 

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Based on these three standards, Brandon Beane was able to get a 1st Round prospect about 25-30 spots later than he was expected to go.  It also addressed one of the team's biggest future question-marks, since both current starters are over 30 years old.  

Beane gets criticized for overpaying for Diggs to be WR1, instead of trying to get WR1 in this draft.

What would the criticism be if he had just drafted Epenesa at 22, and used 54 to acquire Diggs? Same result, different roads.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think that for a lot of the people who are down on this pick it’s partly psychological. The Bills didn’t pick in the first round, so in a way it might feel like Epenesa was their first round pick. I think he’s almost being judged like a 1st round pick when he wasn’t. 

Imagine for a moment that the Diggs trade wasn’t made and Ceedee Lamb slipped a few more spots and the Bills picked Lamb first and then Epenesa fell into their laps in the 2nd. I think the rhetoric would sound very different. 

By the way, I believe Diggs will be better than Lamb, especially over the next 3 years, and I absolutely love Epenesa and had my fingers crossed for him the entire time, never imagining he would actually fall. He’s an absolute beast. 

Edited by mathja
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, mathja said:

I think that for a lot of the people who are down on this pick it’s partly psychological. The Bills didn’t pick in the first round, so in a way it might feel like Epenesa was their first round pick. I think he’s almost being judged like a 1st round pick when he wasn’t. 

Imagine for a moment that the Diggs trade wasn’t made and Ceedee Lamb slipped a few more spots and the Bills picked Lamb first and then Epenesa fell into their laps in the 2nd. I think the rhetoric would sound very different. 

By the way, I believe Diggs will be better than Lamb, especially over the next 3 years, and I absolutely live Epenesa and had my fingers crossed for him the entire time, never imagining he would actually fall. He’s an absolute beast. 

Yes, dude fell in our laps on day 2.  Hope some QBs fall in his lap!!  Hope he’s got some nasty.  I think he’ll play with a chip on his shoulder like Thurmond.  He was our best choice for our team at 54.  Go Bills!!

On 4/26/2020 at 12:30 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

Wonder if they still would’ve picked him if they had resigned Shaq.

I don’t think they would have. I heard him described as Shaq with a better work ethic and higher ceiling. They essentially upgrade that position instead of paying Shaq 30 mill. 

17 hours ago, Motor26 said:

This. They still don’t have much speed off the edge. 

I believe that’s somewhat purposeful. They want their ends to set the edge and their pass rush to come from the interior more often than not. My guess is it was originally to utilize Kyle Williams which has now turned into utilizing Ed Oliver and likely Epenesa inside as well. 

not that they don’t want ANY rush from the edge, I just believe they want to be proficient in setting an edge so that when they play a guy like Jackson, or Mahomes, they can contain that aspect of said QB and force them to make throws (especially Jackson).

2 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I believe that’s somewhat purposeful. They want their ends to set the edge and their pass rush to come from the interior more often than not. My guess is it was originally to utilize Kyle Williams which has now turned into utilizing Ed Oliver and likely Epenesa inside as well. 

not that they don’t want ANY rush from the edge, I just believe they want to be proficient in setting an edge so that when they play a guy like Jackson, or Mahomes, they can contain that aspect of said QB and force them to make throws (especially Jackson).

especially when they can bring the blitz from anywhere as long as the front four are doing their jobs. and the back end can remain steady.
Coverage sacks are fine by me : )

3 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Quinton Jefferson can also play  on the edge and the pressure up the middle can spring Tremaine Edmunds to the QB who has big time speed 

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, njbuff said:

The best comparison you can come up with is Clyde Simmons. Simmons was a power player and was a little bigger than Epenesa is now, but their playing styles are very similar if you watch the tape.

Now all we have to do is find a Reggie White to put on the other side. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/25/2020 at 8:37 AM, inthebuff said:

I really like this pick. 

Again, not that my opinion matters.  What really matters is what he will do on the field.  It seems to me that he's already an accomplished player in the Big 10 against some of the more accomplished tackles of that particular league, including his own teammate.  Those guys rated him as the toughest guy they'd ever faced.  Looking at his past college performances,  where he was drafted and where he was projected to be drafted, I'm even happier with this pick.  I just read an article where SI had placed the over under on where they (and Vegas) felt at 29.5.  The Bills got him at 54.   1st round value at 2nd round price.  

I think Beane and McDermott hit the nail on the head when they told him to use this as a chip on his shoulder.  If anyone criticizes the lack of elation at being drafted by the Bills at #54, then they do not understand the competitive nature of most of these players.  

They ought to get Thurman in to talk to him. 

A 2nd round pick which was passed by many teams but picked by Bills to be their first draft pick.

Thurman will make him understand it is not where he is drafted but what he does if team believes in him.

Also I think his family will be partying game day at Rich Stadium Ralph Wilson Stadium New Era Stadium.

1 hour ago, WorstTEever81 said:

Just thinking:

Hughes-Jefferson-Oliver-Addison

Epenesa-Phillips-Star-Murphy

Vernon Butler and Darryl Johnson as reserves.... that’s one heck of a rotation!

They’re not paying Butler to be a reserve. They’re paying him to be in the rotation. With Jefferson’s ability to play some end, I think Murphy is going to have a tough time making the team. 

On 4/25/2020 at 9:03 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

Don’t think it’s smoke as much as some guys just being wrong.  I highly doubt some sly scout was purposely pumping out disinformation hype about Zay Jones so he’d be overdrafted...

They got the scoop from his WR coach who Bills hired and the problem was they believed the hype.  That coach has been bouncing between teams in NFL and college and should not have been relied upon but Coach McD did not have a strong offense coaching staff that year.   He actually cut a better WR coach with his dump the baby with bath water attitude.

1 hour ago, WorstTEever81 said:

Just thinking:

Hughes-Jefferson-Oliver-Addison

Epenesa-Phillips-Star-Murphy

Vernon Butler and Darryl Johnson as reserves.... that’s one heck of a rotation!

Only thing is Jefferson is more a 3T DT/DE, and I have a feeling Harry will be seeing more time as a 1T to spell Star - so I’d flip those two in your breakdown. Can’t go wrong either way.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Butler worked in more than we expect if either Star or Harry aren’t able to sustain. Of course, there will be the one-off snap where we see Epenesa, Oliver, Jefferson/other pass rush DT, and Hughes in obvious passing situations. Lots of ways they can work the rotation.