RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

On 4/24/2020 at 8:56 PM, Chuck Wagon said:

Meh. I mean he fits a need and I think fits the culture. But feels like a very limited upside guy. And of course Baltimore does the Baltimore thing and grabs the big name guy the very next pick. 

Baltimore needed that running back because Lamar showed in the playoff who he was.

AJ will also help shut Lamar down like Lawson did. 
Epenesa is going to be exactly what this D needs to play against teams with QB’s like Lamar and Mahomes. Edge setters who don’t let the QB get out of the pocket. 

He has a crazy bull rush move and I absolutely love that. Instead of going around linemen he goes through them and completely pulverizes them into the quarterback. I’m not willing to put a damper on this kid’s ceiling, let him play. He may not have been a 1st rounder but he’s still a 2nd, that’s still a high pick. Often times 2nd round picks are really 1st round talents at a $10M discount. 2nd round picks are gold.

• Like (+1) 2

This less than two minute sequence versus IL in 2018 is pretty damn amazing...forced fumble with a punch, scoop and score, sack, blocked punt...looked fast enough on the blocked punt...

Edited by JoeF
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Baltimore needed that running back because Lamar showed in the playoff who he was.

AJ will also help shut Lamar down like Lawson did. 
Epenesa is going to be exactly what this D needs to play against teams with QB’s like Lamar and Mahomes. Edge setters who don’t let the QB get out of the pocket. 

Good take. I'm warming to this pick mere and more.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I will be shocked if he isnt starting at LE by October.

I will be thrilled if we are playing by October, but that’s a long time from now. 

I’m trying to talk my son off the ledge after this pick. He wanted something more flashy, more high impact. There is something to be said for “solid”. Not every player can be Neon Deion.....someone has to do the dirty work. I hope he’s that guy. 

Just now, Augie said:

I will be thrilled if we are playing by October, but that’s a long time from now. 

I’m trying to talk my son off the ledge after this pick. He wanted something more flashy, more high impact. There is something to be said for “solid”. Not every player can be Neon Deion.....someone has to do the dirty work. I hope he’s that guy. 

I thought Buffalo's biggest needs going into the draft was De and Rb.  They got 2 guys who were widely considered top 3 to top 5 for their positions at 54 and 86.  The flashy player your son wants was who Buffalo got when tjey traded 22 for Diggs.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I thought Buffalo's biggest needs going into the draft was De and Rb.  They got 2 guys who were widely considered top 3 to top 5 for their positions at 54 and 86.  The flashy player your son wants was who Buffalo got when tjey traded 22 for Diggs.

I have to believe that the drop off in DE from round 2 to round 3 was greater than the drop off in RB....because Dobbins sure did look like a sweet pick!  I wonder how they had Moss rated vs Dobbins? These guys know infinitely more about this than I do, and they have a great track record, so I trust this was the best way to go. 

I bet some of Beane’s angst leading up to the Moss pick was because he knew it was a gamble to go DE first. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WizdomCalling said:

Very Aaron Schobel ish to me and not just because of #94 

(Idk if this point has been made, didn't feel like reading 37 pages just to make sure. Please don't roast me if someone else already said it ?)

Epenesa is completely the opposite of Schobel except for motor. Scholbel was quick and light in the ass. Epenesa is big, thick and stronk like bull. Reminds me personally more of Ben Williams who did have a 10 sack campaign just after the league started counting such things.

15 hours ago, JROC INTEL said:

Two things stick out to me , his ability to use long arms to swat, and his ability to throw all his weight into his sacks to completely clobber a QB. Old school.

Good point about the tackling... from highlights he does have a good habit of swallowing up the ball carrier.  It seems guys like Hughes and Edmunds have a tendency to  reach at the guy, with less impact. 

Edited by Chuck Schick
  • Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have to believe that the drop off in DE from round 2 to round 3 was greater than the drop off in RB....because Dobbins sure did look like a sweet pick!  I wonder how they had Moss rated vs Dobbins? These guys know infinitely more about this than I do, and they have a great track record, so I trust this was the best way to go. 

I bet some of Beane’s angst leading up to the Moss pick was because he knew it was a gamble to go DE first. 

They could have gone Dobbins and Joe Greenard in the 3rd. All water under the bridge, though, because they picked who they did.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Epenesa is completely the opposite of Schobel except for motor. Scholbel was quick and light in the ass. Epenesa is big, thick and stronk like bull. Reminds me personally more of Ben Williams who did have a 10 sack campaign just after the league started counting such things.

Epenesa is a bull for sure. I’m a little worried though that only gets you so far in the NFL. Ultimately you need some speed to beat pro lineman. Bruce was a rare combination of bull and speed. A freak of nature! I miss him the most. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

Good point about the tackling... from highlights he does have a good habit of swallowing up the ball carrier.  It seems guys like Hughes and Edmunds have a tendency to  reach at the guy, with less impact. 

His tackling on those tapes looks old school, like Ted Hendricks or Ben Davidson, minus the part about using the ball carrier's hat like a twist-off cap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1