RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

New Bills DL AJ Epenesa's hands are stupid. His technique/strength/size combination is incredible, the reason why he should be considered the No. 2 edge defender in this class.

The Bills traded their first-round pick and got a first-rounder anyway

AJ Epenesa, criminally underrated

The Cold Front is back. AJ Epenesa is a hybrid d tackle and strong side d end. Awesome pick by Bills. One of my favorite guys in the draft.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

LOL. Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, Knox, Epenesa, Ford were all need picks.  The only one that may have not been a need was Singletary.  

Ethan, the draft is 100% need driven, from guys who will be starters to the late round developmental picks, they are all needs. Show us all a team that drafts guys they don’t need. Be it to gain talent, depth, development you name it, it’s all need based. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Ethan, the draft is 100% need driven, from guys who will be starters to the late round developmental picks, they are all needs. Show us all a team that drafts guys they don’t need. Be it to gain talent, depth, development you name it, it’s all need based. 

Go Bills!!!

I agree. Except Beane and folks on this board keep saying they draft BPA. It's nonsense.  They needed a DE and a RB after getting the dynamic WR via trade. Mission accomplished 

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I agree. Except Beane and folks on this board keep saying they draft BPA. It's nonsense.  They needed a DE and a RB after getting the dynamic WR via trade. Mission accomplished 

Strict BPA is indeed nonsense,  draft selections are made to fit scheme need, it is the reality of how selections are made.   Believe it or not, Beane just yesterday stated that he drafted  Edge and RB and traded our first for a WR because they were needs, so we who know how it is actually done have some confirmation that GMs draft for need all the time. 

Go Bills!!!

17 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

What will be his immediate impact on a D that only allowed 16 points?

Lots of sacks, TFL FF, good against the run, what’s not to like?

That 16 points is an average, good as it is, there were games where it was worse..  

6 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Well if he does believe in that strategy, drafting a base DE and a slow RB probably aren't the ways to prove it. Or trading up to take an OT last year instead of a WR.  

I give them lots of credit for acquiring Diggs.  I just see a very conservative coach on game day and more often than not in personnel decisions.  

Their 2nd and 3rd round picks aren't going to change the fortunes of this franchise.  But those decisions illustrate OBD's mindset which, contrary to what management says, comes off as following the safe route.  I get why they did last night.  I just don't see it as the way to being an elite team when teams win by passing the ball and having just enough defense. 

I get what you’re saying. McDermott and Beane have consistently said that they want a dynamic offense but their actions haven’t always backed that up. In this case I think it’s more that they are methodical by nature than conservative.

8 hours ago, dgrochester55 said:

Its possible, but I am seeing more of an Aaron Schobel or Phil Hansen where they are good but not elite.

I always felt bad for Kelsay.  He took a lot of heat that should have been reserved for the ownership at the time.   Kelsay would have been a perfectly acceptable rotational defensive lineman that was used in run stopping situations.   Unfortunately the lack of appeal to free agents at the time and the penny pinching of Ralph Wilson resulted in a lack of talent and as a result the franchise paying and marketing Kelsay as if he was the face of the defense and a top tier defensive end.     Of course, the fans didn't buy it and when the defense would get gashed for 30 or 40 points, Kelsay was an easy target and scapegoat.   Kelsay would have looked better if he was the third or fourth best defensive end on a team instead of the best or second best one.    Nice guy and good team player, just put in a bad position. 

If Epenesa = Phil Hanson I'm a happy guy. He's a Bill now so I'm on board.

• Like (+1) 3

21 hours ago, Bangarang said:

No complaints from me. I thought that’s who we would take. 

I predicted Bills would pick someone who was high quality and who dropped so far they could not say no. Regardless of position. And that is exactly what they did.
 Friday morning he was picked to go very early second rd after falling from the 1st.

He is likely a better Lawson with some upside if he develops his game.
Decent pick for sure by McBeanes at 54

Welcome to the Bills !

• Like (+1) 1

As an Iowa fan  I'll admit I'm biased, but  Bill's fans should be ecstatic  to get Epenesa, especially where they got him. I  think the only reason he dropped was his 40 time at the combine.  Yes it wasn't  fast, but he's  more of a power/technique guy. And he's  very athletic,  I'm  sure he would have run a better time at Iowa's  Pro Day, had they not been canceled.  Plus he is a model  citizen, great role model.  You wont see his name on any police reports at 2 a.m. or ever. All in all you got a great player and great young man. Just  pray  you can keep him for his 2nd contract lol

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 8

5 hours ago, JROC INTEL said:

Two things stick out to me , his ability to use long arms to swat, and his ability to throw all his weight into his sacks to completely clobber a QB. Old school.

I like the way he attacks the ball before the hit.  The impact usually displaces the QB from his spot with certainty except for that tfl on Josh where he wrapped him up and wrestled him down.

• Like (+1) 1