RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

29 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That was a good film review and the absolute best way to look at a prospect--full game tape rather than highlight cut ups.     The one thing to keep in mind--the 2019 games reviewed here were early in the season--when Epenesa, in his own words, was struggling to learn how to handle all the double teaming he was getting.  He was much better later in the season.

The one thing that was worrisome to me was his ball recognition, where I disagree with you a bit.  There were a bunch of times where he seemed to lose sight of the play and it went right past him, or he could have made a better break on the runner.    He'll have to clean that up, as well as learn some more pass rush moves beyond just the bull rush...

Yeah that 7 minute marker was really the best example I saw of him keying in on the play and cutting the angle to bring down a faster guy in pursuit. There are a few negatives that need to get worked out of his game. It would be nice to see him develop some more moves for battles in the trenches. The slap is great and he has no problem setting the edge but he seems to exclusively use a bullrush or stunt.

1 hour ago, vincec said:

I don’t think McDermott believes that at all. I think he wants a dynamic, passing offense a la Andy Reid. He’s just not Andy Reid so he’s not sure how to accomplish that. They’re working on it.

Well if he does believe in that strategy, drafting a base DE and a slow RB probably aren't the ways to prove it. Or trading up to take an OT last year instead of a WR.  

I give them lots of credit for acquiring Diggs.  I just see a very conservative coach on game day and more often than not in personnel decisions.  

Their 2nd and 3rd round picks aren't going to change the fortunes of this franchise.  But those decisions illustrate OBD's mindset which, contrary to what management says, comes off as following the safe route.  I get why they did last night.  I just don't see it as the way to being an elite team when teams win by passing the ball and having just enough defense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

A 2nd round grade is a 2nd round grade. I’d say players taken between RDS1-3 should be starting caliber and if you’re a good GM you can find starters/role players in the 4th. As far as having a let down season is concerned he still logged 11.5 sacks. Epenesa has the talent to be a 10 or 12 sack per year kind of guy. He has a great bull rush and I value that higher than speed and finesse moves. Epenesa should have been taken in the 1st.

I think he was a solid pick, I‘m just attempting to provide some balance to those that think he should have gone in the top 15.  As far as a let down season I think what most likely let him tumble down to 54 is lack of growth.  He is reliable, but his numbers haven’t moved much at all throughout his career.  High floor/lowish ceiling  guys aren’t bad picks, but certainly not 1st rounders in most cases.    I watch a lot of Big ten ball, his sacks are usually coverage or blown blocking assignments.  He get a lot of hits on the QB, but just like we have been complaining about for a long time he gets there a step or two late.  This was in the Big Ten and QB releases are only faster in the pros of corse.  With our secondary being top 5 I think he has a chance to get those coverage sacks, hurries, and hits.  

So in summation, I think it was a solid pick and I think he can be a solid starter for years, however I’m not creaming my pants like some posters.  Good? yes...great? could be but based on his growth plateau and lack of speed I personally am leaning towards not likely.

• Thank you (+1) 1

He is going to be Sean's Greg Hardy, when you watch the Carolina Pathers under McDermot one game comes to mind on youtube  Carolina vs New England on Monday Night back in I believe 2014.   Hardy and AJ's are basically the same player minus Hardy's attitude with Eric Washington here now watch what Carolina did with Hardy and that is what you will see with AJ's.  

4 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

His film study is also very impressive, my initial reaction to this pick was totally wrong. After 6 hours of reading and watching I think this guy is going to be a nice addition to this defense. Nice job Beanie.

I'm the same way. I didn't like the pick at first. But I've been watching a lot more of him over the past few hours. He's slow. But he is freakishly strong, and just seems to make plays. Like you're saying, maybe it's his film study that will set him apart. We'll see. Hopefully he ends up as a great addition that teams regret passing over.

14 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I'll take an A.J. over an E.J. or a J.P. any day!

I think they are keeping Barkley & the Texans probably won't let AJ. McCarron go ? Oh i thought you were talking about QB's  ? NOT !! 

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It just feels a bit like a “straight down the fairway” type pick.  That said I’m sure they didn’t expect him to last to 54 and the value is undeniable.

straight down the fairway and low stress pars is top tier golf. It’s underrated how difficult that really is.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Which 2nd and 3rd round picks this year, beyond pick 54, are going to change the fortunes of the franchise?

I like him. He looks like a guy you wouldn't want to line up across from for a whole game. Big dude, and while he's not fast he has some quick mean looking hands, which is a lot of defensive line play.

I also like that he looks like he forces fumbles whenever he can. McDermott loves going after the ball like that.

Edited by dneveu

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Which dominant game changer would you have drafted at pick 54?

Personally I don’t believe there were any available at 54.  I’m also in the majority that think this was a good quality pick.  I’m just attempting to tamp down some of the expectations from posters that think he’s going to be the most dominant force on the line.  Someone said he was as a mix of players and said he was something like 25% Bruce.  With his utter lack of speed/bend/flexibility anyone saying he has some Bruce in him is not using much of their grey matter.

I always try to play it off like it doesn't matter when a player doesn't seem excited to be picked by the Bills (see:  Gilmore).  But man, is it cool to see a guy genuinely happy & celebrating.

I have a hunch he'll be a fan fave in the years to come.

• Like (+1) 1