RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

21 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

So, you hope they’ve done a deep dive on his football character.  Without elite (or even average) explosion, he’ll have to win on attitude and effort.  Some of the anonymous scouting reviews are less than stellar, such as this one from The Athletic:

“I just don’t know how much fire there is internally in him to achieve,” a third scout said. “It’s not like he’s a bad kid, by any stretch. I just don’t see that J.J. Watt-type desire and motivation to be great.”

https://theathletic.com/1758253/2020/04/20/mcginns-nfl-draft-series-scouts-on-top-edge-rushers/?source=user_shared_article

I worry about the bust factor with this guy.  Personally I would’ve taken a chance on Uche as a high-upside explosive pass rusher.  Not that I don’t like Epanesa, I am good with their ability to scout defense and I’ll assume they spoke to his coaches and feel confident he has enough compete.  It just feels a bit like a “straight down the fairway” type pick.  That said I’m sure they didn’t expect him to last to 54 and the value is undeniable.

Not sure if I should be happy or frightened by the fact that we’re in total lockstep on both of these picks. Good players that belong in the NFL, but generally “safe” picks.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Not sure if I should be happy or frightened by the fact that we’re in total lockstep on both of these picks. Good players that belong in the NFL, but generally “safe” picks.

yea mentioned it in another thread but I wonder if they weighted these guys higher due to things like their football family and relatively high floors. You hand epenesa a playbook and workout plan and I’m guessing it’s a safe bet his dad whips him into shape even if you can’t get hands on him til August potentially. more likely to contribute this year but maybe not be the pro bowler in 3 years 

• Like (+1) 1

Some of the comparisons people throwing out are 10 year players(schobel, Hanson, Carlos Dunlap nfl.com. We all want the next superstar but a 10 year starter with a couple pro bowls sprinkled in is nothing to spit at.

i really like this pick. Ed Oliver and Aj Epenesa should be a really solid pass rushing duo for a long time. 

Edited by Iamkrgr
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

yea mentioned it in another thread but I wonder if they weighted these guys higher due to things like their football family and relatively high floors. You hand epenesa a playbook and workout plan and I’m guessing it’s a safe bet his dad whips him into shape even if you can’t get hands on him til August potentially. more likely to contribute this year but maybe not be the pro bowler in 3 years 

Good point. To me IF he turns out to have the same type career Schobel had we will be ok. 

For two months I've compared him to Justin Smith, former Missouri, Cincinnati  and SF player. (4th. - 5th. overall for Bengals)

Solid, unspectacular (for casual fans) player, but with all you need to a long, productive carrer in NFL. High motor, great teammate (some level of leadership), versatility along the line, simply  is the player who makes the job for others to shine.

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

Really wanted Dobbins at this pick but Epenesa is a great pick also.  He was a standout on that Iowa defense.  Deceptively quick, violent with a true nose for the football run or pass.  Relentless.  He just doesn't have that elite speed.

He's definitely NOT Kelsay or Hansen 2.0.  He's much more driven, uses his length and has far more range.

I'd say 65% Schoebel, 35% Bruce Smith

He's got some moves.

65% + 35% = 100% Phil Hansen

All he has ever done from high school to college is a produce at a high level against major competition.  Couple that with his size, length and technique, odds are that he will be a solid to good NFL player for years to come.

• Like (+1) 1

Brandon Beane should take the Iggles GM out for a Steak Dinner

So happy to say goodbye to the days of overdrafting... overpaying...only to lose our draft picks to other teams...because we overspent...incredible value at 54...he will be coached well...looking forward to watching him develop 

• Like (+1) 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001111326/article/2020-nfl-draft-dandre-swift-among-day-2s-top-value-picks

2) A.J. Epenesa, Edge, Buffalo Bills

Drafted No. 54 overall (Round 2).

Epenesa was the 20th overall player on my neutral-fit model, which ranks players independent of landing spot. But put him on the Bills roster ... and yikes for AFC East QBs. Buffalo's defense ranked in the top 10 in all the predictive metrics that I track last year without Epenesa, so the rich get richer. The Iowa edge rusher's 58 QB pressures led the Big Ten last season, per PFF. He could have easily gone in the first round, so to fall to Pick No. 54 and to this team, offers significant value. The Bills' stacked defense should enhance his positives and help mask his still-developing traits. As of right now -- at the end of Day 2 (and admittedly way too early) -- the Bills are my model's AFC East favorite with Epenesa helping to increase that margin of victory.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

DE was our #1 need by far after acquiring Diggs, so we all gotta be good with this.

Kyle Dugger was the guy I thought we'd take if he was on the board as that hybrid S/OLB McDermott likes to use in his D. Then the Patriots took him.

DE was a huge need.

Looks like a physical freak. 

Sounds like he's fairly raw and didn't play a lot in college. That'll serve the Bills D really well in our rotation system.

He was a 3 year starter at Iowa.  He was consistent.  2018 Sophomore year stats were comparable to his 2019.

I really like this pick. 

Again, not that my opinion matters.  What really matters is what he will do on the field.  It seems to me that he's already an accomplished player in the Big 10 against some of the more accomplished tackles of that particular league, including his own teammate.  Those guys rated him as the toughest guy they'd ever faced.  Looking at his past college performances,  where he was drafted and where he was projected to be drafted, I'm even happier with this pick.  I just read an article where SI had placed the over under on where they (and Vegas) felt at 29.5.  The Bills got him at 54.   1st round value at 2nd round price.  

I think Beane and McDermott hit the nail on the head when they told him to use this as a chip on his shoulder.  If anyone criticizes the lack of elation at being drafted by the Bills at #54, then they do not understand the competitive nature of most of these players.  

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

Really wanted Dobbins at this pick but Epenesa is a great pick also.  He was a standout on that Iowa defense.  Deceptively quick, violent with a true nose for the football run or pass.  Relentless.  He just doesn't have that elite speed.

He's definitely NOT Kelsay or Hansen 2.0.  He's much more driven, uses his length and has far more range.

I'd say 65% Schoebel, 35% Bruce Smith

He's got some moves.

I’m not sure who this disrespects more, Phil Hansen or Aaron Schobel.