RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The pass rush is going to come via the interior..... they will be strong rushing the passer up the middle. I worry about the edge.

Epenesa and Oliver are going to be a great interior pass rush on third down. Hopefully, he can become a Michael Bennett type player for us. He isn’t the traditional edge rusher that wins with speed and bend. He’s going to win with technique and power. Epenesa is much more dominant rushing from the interior. Hopefully, Johnson develops into Traditional edge rusher this year. 

Edited by billspro
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Or maybe his poor combine is because he's not that good and the reason he fell. We basically just drafted Chris Kelsay.....yay

On one hand, we have multiple seasons of double digit sacks, lots of other production (plenty of TFLs and a good number of forced fumbles and batted balls), evidence that he can beat first round-level offensive tackles, and credible sources attesting to high character.

On the other hand we have a bad 40 time.

I get that a Chris Kelsay-level projection would cause consternation. (even though he did have like a 10 year career, right?)

I think Epenesa is going to be a productive player for the Bills - just like he was a productive player in college. Therefore I’m loving it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Epenesa is a violent football player!

I noticed that. He hits QB's in vulnerable areas, and HARD (I have to admit.... I like that. I don't want to see any player injured, but I do want to see pain).

He plays like a Raven, or Steeler.

I see him causing fumbles and INT's, and getting into the heads of opponents.

I don't know if this was already posted or not, but it's 15 minutes of Epenesa crushing people.

Edited by 32ABBA

36 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

I get that a Chris Kelsay-level projection would cause consternation. (even though he did have like a 10 year career, right?)

Epenesa is a way more violent player, and that matters.

Kelsey had his own skill set, and while Epenesa might end up having a similar career statistically, Kelsey wasn't crushing people, and was the epitome of a JAG (or am I confusing him with Denney?). I think he is a more passionate player, and a more inspiring teammate than Ryan Kelsey ever could have been.

Edited by 32ABBA

After watching a little more game film on him I can see now why the Bills drafted him. His pass rush arsenal is amazing, he has very long arms and huge hands to either swipe the OT's hands away from him or gain the advantage with hand placement. He should refine his skills and get even stronger in a NFL training regimen. I can now see how this guy could be a elite inside DT on passing downs and a good DE in short yardage. He could become a very versatile DT/DE, if he ran a 4.85 he would've easily been a top 5 pick. If this guy can learn to time the snap and get off the LOS like Meatball he could be something very special. I still have my doubts but I feel a lot better about this pick after watching just a few games. I'm guessing the more I watch the more I will like this pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Matt Miller had him as the 23rd best prospect 

PFF had him as the 20th best prospect 

CBS Sports had him as the 26th best prospect 

Walterfootball had him as the 24th best prospect 

NBC Sports had him as the 28th best prospect 

Draftwire had him as the 26th best prospect 

Sports Illustrated had him as the 28th best prospect 

Dane Brugler of The Athletic has him as the 4th best Edge Rusher and a borderline 1st round prospect

I'd say we did all right  :beer:

• Like (+1) 2

Welcome to Buffalo AJ.  The Bills Mafia is going to welcome you with open arms...as soon as we are able to.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Matt Miller had him as the 23rd best prospect 

PFF had him as the 20th best prospect 

CBS Sports had him as the 26th best prospect 

Walterfootball had him as the 24th best prospect 

NBC Sports had him as the 28th best prospect 

Draftwire had him as the 26th best prospect 

Sports Illustrated had him as the 28th best prospect 

Dane Brugler of The Athletic has him as the 4th best Edge Rusher and a borderline 1st round prospect

I'd say we did all right  :beer:

He is one of the guys I was hoping against hope would still be there at 54.

6 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

You can’t see the forest through the  trees. That’s to bad.  

Must be all that snow

6 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Not sure what this means at all in relation to what I said, in relation to what you said.  Child molestation is not really a joke at all in any way.  Not sure what you are saying.

Matos was involved with the sexual hazing of teammates at Penn State.

️ 

I could not be any more pleased with the way this draft is going. Epenesa and Moss are incredible upgrades to this team. Both of them will have an immediate impact day 1. I like that Epenesa is a power guy. I value a good bull rush over a finesse guy any day. Collapse the pocket, get to the QB and shut down the run at the same time. 

Zack Moss is the ideal backup to Singletary, he should start quite a few games for us over the next few years in the event that Singletary gets dinged up or pulls a hammy. Buffalo is now set at RB for the foreseeable future. Moss adds a lot of power and wiggle. Not a lot of breakaway speed but has a lot of short area quickness and power. Fan favorite.

So far I’m giving Beane an A+. This guys drafts are magical. So help me God, Pegula better not ever let Beane leave Buffalo. This guys talent as an evaluator is special and he is quickly becoming one of the very best GMs in the NFL. Unreal first two rounds.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Really wanted Dobbins at this pick but Epenesa is a great pick also.  He was a standout on that Iowa defense.  Deceptively quick, violent with a true nose for the football run or pass.  Relentless.  He just doesn't have that elite speed.

He's definitely NOT Kelsay or Hansen 2.0.  He's much more driven, uses his length and has far more range.

I'd say 65% Schoebel, 35% Bruce Smith

He's got some moves.

3 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Really wanted Dobbins at this pick but Epenesa is a great pick also.  He was a standout on that Iowa defense.  Deceptively quick, violent with a true nose for the football run or pass.  Relentless.  He just doesn't have that elite speed.

He's definitely NOT Kelsay or Hansen 2.0.  He's much more driven, uses his length and has far more range.

I'd say 65% Schoebel, 35% Bruce Smith

He's got some moves.

Nahhhhhh. You take Epenesa there. Epenesa should have gone in the 18-22 range. He has Pro Bowl talent at DE. The fact that he was available at 54 is unreal. Had any of us fans mocked Epenesa to us at 54 we would have been laughed at, mocked and ridiculed and maybe even accused of having a bit too much to drink. Epenesa at 54 is a highway robbery in every sense of the word. There is no other option at 54. Epenesa is 10000000000000.0000000% the right pick there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Really ridiculous this guy was on the board at 54.  And he fills arguably the Bills' biggest need!

I'm glad he had a crappy combine; that's the reason he's now a Buffalo Bill.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Look at Beane and McD pushing those buttons already..."I know you'll come in with a chip on your shoulder."  Love this organization!

Edited by eball

So, you hope they’ve done a deep dive on his football character.  Without elite (or even average) explosion, he’ll have to win on attitude and effort.  Some of the anonymous scouting reviews are less than stellar, such as this one from The Athletic:

“I just don’t know how much fire there is internally in him to achieve,” a third scout said. “It’s not like he’s a bad kid, by any stretch. I just don’t see that J.J. Watt-type desire and motivation to be great.”

https://theathletic.com/1758253/2020/04/20/mcginns-nfl-draft-series-scouts-on-top-edge-rushers/?source=user_shared_article

I worry about the bust factor with this guy.  Personally I would’ve taken a chance on Uche as a high-upside explosive pass rusher.  Not that I don’t like Epanesa, I am good with their ability to scout defense and I’ll assume they spoke to his coaches and feel confident he has enough compete.  It just feels a bit like a “straight down the fairway” type pick.  That said I’m sure they didn’t expect him to last to 54 and the value is undeniable.