RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

In a normal year he would have had a pro day and cleaned up his 40 (maybe 4.8), and he’d be the 17th pick in the draft. This guy has been a stud throughout his college career. I’m a Penn State fan and he absolutely terrorized them every game. Frankly, I’m shocked he was still there.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Maybe we can turn AJ into a TE. Probably not with that 5.1 40. When guys describe him as plodding they're not wrong. And as far as strength, AJ had as many reps as Mims. Mims will be a stud for our rival.

Start practicing your JETS chant

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I am already seeing the relief when we take an injury or 2 to our defense and it remains strong because Beane was smart enough to draft a 1st round talent player in the 2nd round

And two or three years from now we have a solid DE as we lose several to father time...

44 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

This is a great pick because now Sean has his young Defensive End,  Defensive Tackle ,Middle Line-back,Outside Line-back and corner back this defense is going to be fun to watch for years to come.

I think Epenesa may have a nice career for Buffalo, but as Hughes and Addison reach the end of their careers, Buffalo will be looking for an explosive edge rusher, and that may happen sooner rather than later.

Bills Edge position group was graded at 15th in the league (PFF, yea I know). Pass D graded at 4th. The OL group was 24th. I thought it would be either OL or Edge. It wasn't sexy but the right choice for McD. Blue collar, great work ethic. So much for BPA though with Mims and others on the board. Not even sure why anyone uses BPA when many times its MIPN (Most Impactful Player Now) which this was. If it was Mims it would have been BPA.

Love it.

We went BPA at a very valuable position. We're stacked at DL but he was BPA and we can address RB later with much higher value than a DL that can have an impact on day 1. 

The fact he fell that much was a miracle! I guarantee McDermott has already blown a load !!

He's an awesome chess piece to have on an already scary DL. I love it

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Weirdos... we weren’t going to take a rb in the 2nd. What are you thinking? We have a starter ( who was picked in the 3rd) and need a compliment back to take some carries. You wanted this in the 2nd round???? Makes zero sense. None. Youth at DE rotation was our biggest need. Youth at wr is another need for example. Crazy how some people cannot understand These simple concepts

agreed. Don’t understand what people are thinking. It would be like drafting a QB in the 2nd.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

Did Tom Donahoe make this pick or what? Defense is desperately in need of ATHLETIC edge players and we draft a guy that ran a 5.1 40?

Not happy with this pick, but trust McD on defense and all that jazz.

Are there usually 40 yards between the DE and the QB?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

That is ridiculous- we have 3 good to great recievers, a great running back, a QB who is expected to be great and lots of depth along the line. The offense does not get priority in drafting but in free agency.

Diggs might be a great WR a some point.  Who are the other 2??  Brown and Beasley?  Come on.. 

Great RB?  He had 12.5 caries a game and even at that  led the league in % carries fumbled.

8 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

Love the pick.

Back-to-back double-digit sack seasons and lots of TFL, too. High character guy. Great football player.

His poor combine is the Bills’ gain.

Or maybe his poor combine is because he's not that good and the reason he fell. We basically just drafted Chris Kelsay.....yay

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, Diggs, good get.  Need a RB who the coaching staff feels can carry a load.  Dobbins would been a scoring impact.  That's what they need.  Holding teams to under 17 doesn't work

I agree we need another RB but you have to look at who our OC is and what we have in place. Our offense is clearly designed around the pass. Our Oline is a passing line. Daboll runs a read and react system between Josh and the receivers. If you want to blame someone for the lack of scoring look to our QB. He's the squeaky wheel in this offense, not the RB situation (though I don't think it's quite that simple).  

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

I can already see the panic settling in when we get a few injuries on offense and Allen is throwing to backyard football practice squad players

That would be quite a few injuries...in fact unprecedented.  Please, tell us, who should the Bills have picked in order to make YOU feel better about your life and your feelings?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't hate the pick. I get it. Just preferred Dobbins. If Singletary goes down I'm not confident with what we have. Im hoping we get Fournette. 

Singletary went down last year and we won games with old man Gore. We have yeldon and at some point we will most likely get a runner to spell Singletary.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s very frustrating.

The priority is always defense over offense.

The priority is fielding the best overall team. The investment of a 1st round pick to get an elite WR shows that. Fortunately the GM understands this.

• Thank you (+1) 1