Texans sign Laremy Tunsil to huge extension

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would be pissed if we paid Dawkins a 15 mil a year average. Dawkins is NOT a top 15 LT and probably shouldn’t even be playing the position. 

So true Ktulu.  He can walk after this year if he keeps playing soft like the marshmellow man.  You pay big money to great players.  Is Laremy Tunsil even any good?  We seem to have gotten a lot of pressure from the outside on Deshawn Watson in last years playoff game.  BOB runs that team like he is playing Monopoly.  

Does Tunsil still smoke weed out of the gas mask?  I guess BOB is Ok with his choice of paraphanelia.  

Realistically @Augie, we know that Belichick wouldn't have put himself in that position.

I also think that one of his strengths as a coach is how cold blooded he is about things. When it's time for a change, there is no sentiment involved. It also helps him with the GM hat on.

I agree he doesn't draft that well, but he drafts a lot by the numbers, or rather 'type'. Where he gets away with his drafting, is that as the coach, he knows exactly what he wants from a player he drafts.

You are correct that he isn't under any real pressure as regards his job, and that does make things a lot easier. Wasn't always that way though, and his relative security is a function of having done the job well in the first place.

Having said all of that, Belichick is probably the exception that proves the rule, and BOB will become a prime exemplar of why the two positions should be seperate.

I think we are very lucky to have Beane and McDermott, who sing from the same hymn sheet, yet are prepared to argue things out, without throwing toys out of the pram. ;)

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Just crazy money, now Dawkins price tag just went up so is he worth that?

I like Dawkins as a player and even more as a person , but I don’t think he’s a dominant LT and I don’t believe he’s getting anything even close to that 

This could have a huge impact on the draft.  I think it's good to find out today rather than after the draft.  At least Beane knows the market has blown up.  We may end up drafting a guy and grooming him, and trading Dawkins next year.  Hell, we went through this with Jason Peters, but he pretty much forced our hands.  We signed him after the draft, developed him, and he moved on.

Dawkins seems like a good dude, though. I think he likes being on our team.  

Perhaps the rest of the league will recognize the Tunsil deal as an insane aberration.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bill O'Brien is a hazard.  He needs to be tarred and feathered.  Isn't Watson coming up on his big payday soon?  O'Brien is going to have a top heavy team.  What is wrong with that ownership group letting him continue to make awful decisions?

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

That is a bit crazy (although I am more so shocked at the guarantee not that much at the aav) but Larry had the Texans over a barrel. They trade a haul for him and he is a critical component to their O-line (It was a lot better this season) given that Larry cost them 2 firsts and a 2nd they weren't going to let him go anywhere. 

10 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

This could have a huge impact on the draft.  I think it's good to find out today rather than after the draft.  At least Beane knows the market has blown up.  We may end up drafting a guy and grooming him, and trading Dawkins next year.  Hell, we went through this with Jason Peters, but he pretty much forced our hands.  We signed him after the draft, developed him, and he moved on.

Dawkins seems like a good dude, though. I think he likes being on our team.  

Perhaps the rest of the league will recognize the Tunsil deal as an insane aberration.

Yeah he likes it here, but if someone wants to pay him significantly more than the Bills value him, I don’t think it would be hard for him to learn to like that new team. 

2 minutes ago, Nester said:

insane to pay this guy that much with all his penalty problems.

I get that he is good, but 14 false starts....17 over all, next is 15 then drops to 12.

Texans are done for a decade.

Hughes had 3 sacks on him in the playoffs 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Wish I could say he wont get that much money, but he isn't far off from the player Tunsil is.   If Tunsil got 22 million a year, Dawkins could easily get 21.5

No clue why the Texans thought they needed to add 5.5 million to the biggest LT contract already in the NFL.   Really screwed a lot of other teams by setting the market that high.

Is Tunsel really that much better than Dawkins?  If he is it’s marginal.  I think Dion gets the same money whether It’s the Bills or another team

I’m not a capologist but how can you pay a left tackle and an qb at the same time and be any good

So Left tackle and corner are now 20 million dollar a year positions? How in the world does Beane sign Tre and Dawkins to deals that could be in the 20 million a year range?

30 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Is Tunsel really that much better than Dawkins?  If he is it’s marginal.  I think Dion gets the same money whether It’s the Bills or another team

Tunsil has made the Pro Bowl, but to your point, no he isn't that much better than Dawkins that the money will be that far off.