Texans sign Laremy Tunsil to huge extension

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

·

23s

More specifics on the #Texans extension with LT Laremy Tunsil, who blew up the tackle market: 3 years, $66M with $57.85M guaranteed (more than I initially said) with $40M over the first two years and a $13M signing bonus, per me and

@wyche89

8 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Dawkins is smiling 

Wish I could say he wont get that much money, but he isn't far off from the player Tunsil is.   If Tunsil got 22 million a year, Dawkins could easily get 21.5

No clue why the Texans thought they needed to add 5.5 million to the biggest LT contract already in the NFL.   Really screwed a lot of other teams by setting the market that high.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Just crazy money, now Dawkins price tag just went up so is he worth that?

I don't think so.  It's hard to play hard ball with your players but its like - Dawkins... You are not top 5, or even top 10 really at your position.  Why should i make you the highest paid?

• Like (+1) 1

All but $8M guaranteed?  Good luck with that.

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Wish I could say he wont get that much money, but he isn't far off from the player Tunsil is.   If Tunsil got 22 million a year, Dawkins could easily get 21.5

No clue why the Texans thought they needed to add 5.5 million to the biggest LT contract already in the NFL.   Really screwed a lot of other teams by setting the market that high.

I'll bet Tunsil threatened to hold out.  BOB is coaching for his job this year and that would have killed it.

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

All but $8M guaranteed?  Good luck with that.

I'll bet Tunsil threatened to hold out.  BOB is coaching for his job this year and that would have killed it.

Tunsil definitely held all the cards.  On the flip side, if QBs are going to be getting $35-40 million, it's about right.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Tunsil definitely held all the cards.  On the flip side, if QBs are going to be getting $35-40 million, it's about right.

Difference is Quarterbacks are already making that kind of money.    There was no reason to pay him 30% more than what Castonzo just got when he is a lesser player, and if you want to argue age, he is getting 2% more on the cap than Lewan got in 2018.  It was a stupid move by a stupid team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would be pissed if we paid Dawkins a 15 mil a year average. Dawkins is NOT a top 15 LT and probably shouldn’t even be playing the position. 

Better get ready to be pissed.   He is 100% a top 15 player at his position. 

He is younger, and easily better than these top 15 paid Left Tackles below.

Reiff
Duane Brown
Okung
Donovan Smith
DJ Humphries
Solder

The guy is going to get paid 16 million a year or more easy, and the dumb Texans really just made a mess for the Bills.