Is Big Nickel “Need” overblown?

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

So who gets displaced in the Nickel? Milano or Edumonds? That would easily push Klein to the bench and given that they put in a decent chunk of change into him I think they probably want him to have some significant role no the defense. 

That's were the fun starts. With 4.45 speed and coverage skills of a former DB, you could use your base defense to create confusion. Or they mix and match when Taron enters the game.

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

That's were the fun starts. With 4.45 speed and coverage skills of a former DB, you could use your base defense to create confusion. Or they mix and match when Taron enters the game.

I feel like a "Big Nickel" would have to play the slot corner position in order to justify sinking a second round pick into the position. Because I don't see what a Big Nickel player could do that is that much better than Milano and Edumonds both guys who fly across the field. 

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Every single need for this team is overblown. We're pretty good post free agency and trades. Anything else is just cake.

Obviously it would be nice to upgrade a few positions, but not necessary. There's not a single position that is preventing this team from being a contender unless Josh Allen doesn't continue to progress.

And unless our geriatric defensive ends have broken down by week 6. The Bills don't have any needs they have to "reach" for. But the biggest need on this team is at EDGE.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

And unless our geriatric defensive ends have broken down by week 6. The Bills don't have any needs they have to "reach" for. But the biggest need on this team is at EDGE.

I'd agree. 

Our ends are old and we need to find someone with talent who can ascend into a starting role within the next 24 months.

Other than that, we're pretty much set. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

A big slot guy who can defend the pass and stop the run.

That's where the NFL is going. You need a chess piece you can move around in the box or the slot and not expose yourself to either the run or the pass. 

It's true but there were few defences in the NFL last season that were so able to adapt vs run and pass without tipping their hand with personnel groupings as the Buffalo Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

It's true but there were few defences in the NFL last season that were so able to adapt vs run and pass without tipping their hand with personnel groupings as the Buffalo Bills.

True.

The Bills defense is truly elite. The only thing they're really lacking is an elite edge rusher who can consistently post 10+ sacks. 

Yes that is where (unless Klein is better than I think he is) we are going to miss Alexander more than we realize

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Yes that is where (unless Klein is better than I think he is) we are going to miss Alexander more than we realize

Yea Zo is guy we have had to replace three times. Klein to play his linebacker role in base, Jefferson to play on the line in the sub packages and the fella we signed from the Steelers to play teams. It is not exaggeration to say that.

Yea Zo is guy we have had to replace three times. Klein to play his linebacker role in base, Jefferson to play on the line in the sub packages and the fella we signed from the Steelers to play teams. It is not exaggeration to say that.

H played everything, 3tech/edge/SAM etc...it was honestly a little crazy rewatching how they used him 

And still effective for his age. He will be missed for sure

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Sorry for all these questions but this seems to be a heavily specialized and nuanced position. But in my mind Edumonds and Milano are the starting LB's in the Nickel with Klein the third LB in the 4-3 package. So I don't see an open LB spot. I also think that Milano and Edumonds are both fast young LB's who cover well. I just don't see where the fit is on the Bills seeing as they have two good LB's who can cover. 

Klein doesn't have to be a starter.  If you had a big nickel that would free up Edmunds and Milano to get after the QB more often too.

36 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

OK.

If it's not our biggest need, what is?

A big nickel, bc that is something that McD seems to be looking for.  But that guy doesn't necessarily take the place of Johnson.  He would probably be listed as a LB.  Johnson would still be on the field.  

Edited by purple haze

11 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Klein doesn't have to be a starter.  If you had a big nickel that would free up Edmunds and Milano to get after the QB more often too.

Klein is being paid like a starter, I just don't see what good replacing Edumonds or Milano in the Nickel does unless you draft a player who can play in the slot corner spot regularly 

Edited by billsfan89

It’s like asking what makes for a good sailboat to sail down the east coast to the Bahamas and back, the answer depends on who you ask.

The exception is when sports pundits make it their pet topic, then it’s definitely over blown, ?