Beane has a history of trading up for the right player. Who would he move up for if they keep dropping?

3 hours ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I agree with your list but would replace Diggs with Jaylon Johnson. there's some rumblings about Diggs having a poor work ethic and an attitude of entitlement. I think Diggs will fall to the 3rd.

I like Johnson over Diggs but he has shoulder issues.  We already have a CB with shoulder issues 

In truth, unless one player is just vastly ahead of everyone else on our board, we'd be best suited to stay put.

5 big wrs: Pittman, Mims, Claypool (PLEEEEASE GOD!!!), Higgins, Viska

4 very talented rbs: Swift, Taylor, Dobbins, Akers

2 cbs who could've easily gone last night: Fulton, Johnson

ditto for edge: Epenesa, Baun

The concept I'm more interested is packaging our 3 with other picks and getting 2 of these guys. Let's get greedy!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, glazeduck said:

Genuine question for those who are wanting Gross-Matos -- have you watched him play? Or is the excitement about him based solely off of website rankings?

That guy is not going to be a good NFL player...

I think Gross- Matos has physical ability but I am more worried about his mental state.  He has had a turbulent life and I am certainly rooting for him but sometimes the mental hurdles and pressure of the NFL can overwhelm a player as we experienced with Dareus.  All the best to him and is career but I don't want to take the chance at pick 54.

25 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly, Gross is gross and Epenesa isn't any better. There are no compelling edge guys worthy of a 2nd round pick. Get a great RB2 who could become an RB1 or find a promising wr to replace the B's in a couple years?

I disagree here, actually.

Gross is gross, yes. Epenesa is never going to be confused with Jevon Kearse, but I think he's actually a very technically sound, effective football player. Probably will never be a superstar but I could see him being a slightly poor-man's Calais Campbell type. I'd be fine with him in the 2nd -- wouldn't be my first choice -- but he should be an effective/productive enough pro... 

I am definitely against Dugger at 54.    A secondary red zone RB or one who can serve as the primary if Singletary goes down again helps Josh Allen and the offense the most which I believe is still the Bills #1 objective.  I would prefer Taylor or Cam Akers at 54 and then a zone corner like Michael Ojemudia from Iowa at 86

26 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

In truth, unless one player is just vastly ahead of everyone else on our board, we'd be best suited to stay put.

The concept I'm more interested is packaging our 3 with other picks and getting 2 of these guys. Let's get greedy!

I couldn't agree more. Breaking it down like that, it makes a ton of sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I agree with @Allen2Moulds, great way of breaking it down...

My wife and brother inlaw are both Penn State Alumns, and over the last 5-6 years, I've watched a lot of Penn State Football. The number one guy that stuck out the most was obviously Barkley. After that it was Robinson and then Godwin a few years ago. I was hoping for Godwin when we went with Zay. Even on a porous penn state D, Matos has always stood out. Even as a freshman...I would always ask, who's 99, because he was the only one making plays.

He's still a young kid but has the most upside of the guys that are left. He has prototypical size, super athletic, and has been productive. For anyone that knocks him, I don't know what else you would want from a second rounder.

But it won't matter because he'll be gone within the 1st couple of picks today.

4 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

It’s Kyle Dugger. Our pick is Kyle Dugger. 

I really could see this. But a few others too. Terrell Lewis, maybe, if they like him. Mims or Claypool, maybe ...

If he does trade up this year, I'd expect it to be a small move.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

At this point wouldnt shock me to see him move BACK a few spots

I wouldn't mind that either, John, nor would it surprise me.

Edited by Thurman#1

36 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think some want the team to add playmakers to the clear weakness last season.... offense. 

A safety for a defense that IS ALREADY AMONG THE BEST in the league would be a bit of a let down. 

I hear you. And I would be fine with offense as well.  Can never have enough playmakers, I agree. But that's on both sides of the ball. I guess I trust the offensive pieces we currently have more then you. I trust Beane to select a couple of difference makers tonight on either side of the ball.

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

There’s a couple teams in front of us that don’t have 4th, 5th, or 6th round picks.  I could see Beane giving up day 3 picks to go get his guy.  I think the 3rd rounder is off limits.  

I think he's going to use those to get back into the end of the 3rd round.  

5 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I am guessing that if Espenesa or Gross-Matos drop a few more spots, he may move up to grab one of them.  Personally, I hope we stay put, because there will be plenty of options at 54, but Beane tends to focus on a particular player and make the move when they get close enough for it to be affordable. What do you guys think? Which player would he move up for if they continue to slide?

I think you’re spot on with identifying the GM’s approach here.  While I can’t give a name of the player he would move up for, I think the formula the GM would move up on (in the 2nd round) for a player would include the following:

- someone who has a first round grade (Based on GMs methodology).

- someone who is attainable with draft assets we have this year.

- position of need (that’s what - in my opinion - makes it a challenge to determine  what the GM will do today / tomorrow).

In my opinion, value is what will drive who will be drafted and where.  I don’t think there is any other factor here other than value.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

ZERO safeties were taken in round 1.  Dugger will be there in the third.

So because zero safeties were taken in round 1, that’s means there’s no chance that there is a run on safeties in round 2? or it means that safeties will continue to fall in round 2 and eventually just the entire draft? You’re right... it’s a trend!

Make sense. 

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

At this point wouldnt shock me to see him move BACK a few spots

I would like this, only because I believe in Beane enough to know it would be a calculated move. If he moved back it would mean he has enough players in mind, compared to the number of picks we moved, to be sure one wioild be there when we pick. I have not always had that same confidence in other Bills GM’s in the past. 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I think some want the team to add playmakers to the clear weakness last season.... offense. 

A safety for a defense that IS ALREADY AMONG THE BEST in the league would be a bit of a let down. 

An edge rusher is the only position they should be developing on defense right now that could be more important than WR.  I'll emphasize could in that regard.

This organization hasn't drafted a WR who could be a starter and I'm starting to think no one there knows what a decent prospect looks like.  They've passed on several, but their lone foray into WR was Zay Jones who is on his way out of the NFL.  Beyond that, their draft investment is late round picks.  

The 2nd or 3rd round picks won't break this franchise, but it's a window into how they think big picture in terms of how to win.  Going with more defense is McD being McD. 

1 hour ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

I think you’re spot on with identifying the GM’s approach here.  While I can’t give a name of the player he would move up for, I think the formula the GM would move up on (in the 2nd round) for a player would include the following:

- someone who has a first round grade (Based on GMs methodology).

- someone who is attainable with draft assets we have this year.

- position of need (that’s what - in my opinion - makes it a challenge to determine  what the GM will do today / tomorrow).

In my opinion, value is what will drive who will be drafted and where.  I don’t think there is any other factor here other than value.

They had a first round grade on Cody Ford last year.  Traded up for him to play RT and that's uncertain entering his second year.