Biggest concert “miss”, biggest concert “letdown”?

4_kidd_4

A. What concert/artist/show did you have a chance to see but passed on that you absolutely regret?

B. What concert/artist/show did you see that was disappointing/bad scene/ripoff?

For me;

A. I absolutely kick myself for passing on Nirvana at UB in November 1993. 5 months before Cobain died. Touring for a less than two month old “In Utero”. Probably the apex of their popularity, and  ‘grunge’ in general. I was instantly sad when I saw show pictures in The Spectrum, what a scene, what a crowd, what a setlist, punctuated by the  In Utero mannequin front and center.

In hindsight, this was a legendary show and I passed. Being a poor UB student when tickets came out at the time, I chose  Rage Against The Machine/Cypress Hill/Funkdoobiest at Alumni in December 1993 (legendary show in its own right) and I said “eh, I’ll catch Nirvana next time”. Whoops.

Great writeup;

https://www.ubspectrum.com/article/2018/11/reaching-nirvana

B. Possibly because this was the most recent “bad show” in memory, but I’d have to say Modest Mouse at UBCFA a couple years ago. Now I like MM, but my wife absolutely loves them. She’s a poet and is more into lyrics than I am, and these guys really do have some beautiful lines/feelings/sentiment that perfectly counter their sometimes jagged, discordant music, especially their earlier stuff.

This was a “bucket list show” for my wife...and they were absolutely brutal. About three songs in, I leaned over and said “is it just me errrrr.....” and she said “no, this is bad. really bad”. They were a mess.

Granted, it was a bad venue match for this type of show- all seated, no drinks allowed inside. Fine enough, I can get past that.  But for a touring band of 20 years...they stopped in between almost every song to either ramble incoherently(which I later learned is kinda the lead guy’s thing), or to adjust pedals/cables/mics/tune up. Like, uncomfortably awkward pauses between every single song. No flow. No vibe. The sound was an absolute mess overall too. Way too loud, three percussionists all mixed too high, and just an overall wall of noise that I had a hard time picking guitar and horn lines through. 

We had looked so forward to their show, and my wife was especially disappointed that the lead singer/writer she admired was so awful in person. Her exact quote “I really cannot believe so many beautiful words come from that douche!” haha!

So what says youse??

16 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

A. What concert/artist/show did you have a chance to see but passed on that you absolutely regret?

B. What concert/artist/show did you see that was disappointing/bad scene/ripoff?

A.)  Biggest Regret:    Paul McCartney at New Era Field October 2015.  Damn it, a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a Mount Rushmore talent.     Runner-up:   Pink Floyd in Toronto in September 1987.

B.)  Biggest Miss:   Van Halen in Buffalo in March 2012.   Dave just phoned it in and the harmonies sucked without Michale Anthony.   Just a real let down (maybe my expectations were too high)...

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Runner-up:   Pink Floyd in Toronto in September 1987.

Oh yeah, a definite ‘honorable mention’ that I passed on would be Roger Waters The Wall Tour at the arena a few years back. My brother offered me a spare FOR FREE and I was like “nah, I’m good.”  WTF was I thinking?!?

A) Not really a miss but My buddy told me... His wife’s company had a box at whatever they’re calling where the Florida Panthers play. I lived about 5 minutes away. The Stones were playing & they had 2 ducats for the box. I had been there before with them for a Sabres’ game (members of the Chiavetta’s family were there, too). So he tells me about a week later that his wife was ailing all day & he told her, “Babe, I’ll just call Hopper. Don’t make it worse.” Then she rallied & they went. Could have gone my whole life without knowing that.

B) Gin Blossoms at UB. God, they sucked.

Edited by HopsGuy
Repetitive

Great topic!  I'm an old timer, so here goes:

1) Led Zeppelin.  I was pretty young and it would have been my 1st show - I got a little scared about it because of the occult stuff I had heard about Jimmy Page & just how heavy they were at the time.  That would have been an amazing 1st show, though (my real 1st show ended up being REO Speedwagon a year later - a fun show, but really, by comparison...)

2) This is sacrilege, because I absolutely love this man's music, but Springsteen was a disappointment for me.   I like a nice, tight show that leaves me wanting a little more. I wanted no more at all after seeing Bruce.  Almost 4 hours. It felt endless, and just wore me out.

Nirvana would have been a great one for sure. I watched a concert of theirs recently on TV, and the energy was off the charts.  

29 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Oh yeah, a definite ‘honorable mention’ that I passed on would be Roger Waters The Wall Tour at the arena a few years back. My brother offered me a spare FOR FREE and I was like “nah, I’m good.”  WTF was I thinking?!?

Man, you fuct up, BAD.  That was a phenomenal show (I caught it at MSG).  I'm still thinking of mine.  Great thread!

MissedFoo Fighters, Glens Falls Civic Center, 2007.  Absolutely NO REASON for me to not go to this show.  I just didn't.  Place holds 7,000.  What a great place to see the Foo Fighters, right????  They were playing Wembley Stadium around that time and I had a chance to see them in a small venue that's 10 minutes from my house.  Major fail.

RegretVolbeat - They were part of Slipknot's KNOTFEST tour - Saratoga Performing Arts Center - 2019.  I'd heard a few Volbeat songs on the radio and really liked their energy.  I was excited to see them, as many of the bands on this tour were not my cup of tea.  Jesus Harold Christ, did they suck.  They were so poppy and cheesy, they made Nickelback look like Led Zeppelin.  My son and I looked at each other and were like, "dafuq is this *****????"  There were A LOT of people who were clearly there to see them and they clearly liked what they heard (well over 20,000 people there).  But it was horrible.  I don't have many regrets, because I choose my concerts pretty carefully, especially with the ridiculous ticket prices.  But this one ... yeah ... they blew.

Regret missing when I had the chance: Stevie Ray Vaughan at Alpine Valley, 1990. My wife and I had to work early the next morning, so we decided to catch him the next time around. You know how that turned out.

Biggest disappointment: I've never been disappointed in a show that I wanted to see, but about 10 years ago my teenage (not yet driving) son wanted to see Korn, so I took him. There were three bands altogether (I can't remember the first two) for an indoor show, and all I could hear from any of them was a thumping bass and drums. I had a headache for two days after that.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Regret missing when I had the chance: Stevie Ray Vaughan at Alpine Valley, 1990. My wife and I had to work early the next morning, so we decided to catch him the next time around. You know how that turned out.

Damn........that's a miss for sure. 

My regret would be not ever going to one of the Dead shows at Rich Stadium as a kid. All the OP kids would go and really loved it. I do love the Dead.

Worst show: It's a tie between Radiohead here in Cincy 2012, and then Fleet Foxes here in 2018. I LOVE both bands on album, but dang these shows stunk. Fleet Foxes was all sit down, terrible sound, lame crowd. Thom York only played weird new stuff and nothing classic, but that's how some bands do it.

biggest letdown was Morrissey cancelling a 2014 in Atlantic City after it was too late to cancel our travel plans

biggest regrets are not seeing Rush at Ottawa Bluesfest especially now that Neil Peart has passed and missing the original Grateful Dead lineup

still want to see Smokey Robinson

2 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Missed: Tool

Letdown: NIN

What tour did you catch NIN?  I've been super impressed with their shows.

47 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Damn........that's a miss for sure. 

My regret would be not ever going to one of the Dead shows at Rich Stadium as a kid. All the OP kids would go and really loved it. I do love the Dead.

Worst show: It's a tie between Radiohead here in Cincy 2012, and then Fleet Foxes here in 2018. I LOVE both bands on album, but dang these shows stunk. Fleet Foxes was all sit down, terrible sound, lame crowd. Thom York only played weird new stuff and nothing classic, but that's how some bands do it.

Radiohead was my biggest letdown.  Saw them at Lolla in 2008 and they basically played the entire In Rainbows album in the actual album order.  Zero crowd engagement.

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Radiohead was my biggest letdown.  Saw them at Lolla in 2008 and they basically played the entire In Rainbows album in the actual album order.  Zero crowd engagement.

THIS, they played King of Limbs straight thru, and that album isn't great. We left early to beat the traffic.

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

Truly can not think of one that I had a chance to go and did not and regret it...has to be some, just cannot remember

Funny you say the Dead..one of my most disappointing shows, but prolly more my fault than theirs. It was in the Aud, sometime between 78 and 80..winter. I had done a double for swim, got out of afternoon practice and str8 in car to the Aud, mayhaps smoked something and and some libations on the way..and i fell asleep during the concert. 

Worst was prolly Steven Stills in the early 80's .

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Truly can not think of one that I had a chance to go and did not and regret it...has to be some, just cannot remember

Funny you say the Dead..one of my most disappointing shows, but prolly more my fault than theirs. It was in the Aud, sometime between 78 and 80..winter. I had done a double for swim, got out of afternoon practice and str8 in car to the Aud, mayhaps smoked something and and some libations on the way..and i fell asleep during the concert. 

Worst was prolly Steven Stills in the early 80's .

Wow, that's amazing... one guy I never got to see, love the CSN&Y stuff, Manassas, solo work. Was it the sound... or was it an acoustic show?  I get it though, I've seen Steve Miller a few times, different decades, and every one of the concerts sucked. He got into the habit of bringing on a guest "somebody" that no one had ever heard of and that was like half the show.

Worst ever though was Nazareth in 1981 or so... was looking forward to Hair of the Dog, stuff like that but it was probably the worst clunker ever, worse than Steve Miller. 

I can't really think of one I missed but wanted to go to... but I'm sure there were some.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

**plenz at the show**

plenzmd1

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, T&C said:

Wow, that's amazing... one guy I never got to see, love the CSN&Y stuff, Manassas, solo work. Was it the sound... or was it an acoustic show?  I get it though, I've seen Steve Miller a few times, different decades, and every one of the concerts sucked. He got into the habit of bringing on a guest "somebody" that no one had ever heard of and that was like half the show.

Worst ever though was Nazareth in 1981 or so... was looking forward to Hair of the Dog, stuff like that but it was probably the worst clunker ever, worse than Steve Miller. 

I can't really think of one I missed but wanted to go to... but I'm sure there were some.

he was blitzed beyond repair

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

B.)  Biggest Miss:   Van Halen in Buffalo in March 2012.   Dave just phoned it in and the harmonies sucked without Michale Anthony.   Just a real let down (maybe my expectations were too high)...

I second this.  At our Pepsi Center show in Denver, "Diamond Dave" forgot so many lyrics so he spent most of the time holding his microphone to the crowd.  Their sound guy must have just turned every knob up to maximum and called it a day - it was earsplittingly loud.  Basically spent about 100 bucks to hear one decent EVH solo.  Pissed me off so much that to this day I will tune to a different radio station whenever VH comes on. 

Edited by coloradobillsfan
forgot to add the word 'forgot'
  • Like (+1) 1