TSW Mock Draft 3.0 vs Mock Draft “Experts”

I thought it would be an interesting exercise to see how TSW Mock Draft 3.0 compared to some of the draft gurus.  This is for round 1 only.  i did not include Kiper as I do not have ESPN Insider.

My scoring system was:

Player, team, slot                                                             5 Points

Player, Slot                                                                        4 Points

Player, +/-3 slots within round                                       3 Points

Player, Team                                                                     2 Points

Player, round                                                                     1 Point

Complete miss, player not in round                              0 Points

The results were:

Exact Player,      Correct

Drafter                                                 Points                   team, slot            Round

Albert Breer                                         85                               9                         25

Daniel Jeremiah                                  84                               7                         27

Kevin Hanson                                      79                               7                         25

Peter King                                            73                               9                         24

Bucky Brooks                                      56                               4                         22

TSW Mock 3.0                                     46                               2                         24

Congratulations to the following board members for being spot on: @BuffaloHokie13 ( #1), @Reed83HOF (#7).

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Congratulations to the following board members for being spot on: @BuffaloHokie13 ( #1), @Reed83HOF (#7).

I made both of those picks! ? 

I'll score my mock. I assume players only count once? For instance, I had the Vikings taking Jefferson at 25, they took him at 22. Is that 3 for +/- 3 slots and 2 for player team match? Or just 3 because most value?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I thought it would be an interesting exercise to see how TSW Mock Draft 3.0 compared to some of the draft gurus.  This is for round 1 only.  i did not include Kiper as I do not have ESPN Insider.

My scoring system was:

Player, team, slot                                                             5 Points

Player, Slot                                                                        4 Points

Player, Team                                                                     2 Points

Player, round                                                                     1 Point

The results were:

Drafter                                                 Points                   team, slot            Round

Albert Breer                                         85                               9                         25

Daniel Jeremiah                                  84                               7                         27

Kevin Hanson                                      79                               7                         25

Peter King                                            73                               9                         24

Bucky Brooks                                      56                               4                         22

TSW Mock 3.0                                     46                               2                         24

Man I had the Right Position for the Jets, just the wrong player.  Then again I had a Better Available player available with Wills than their actual pick Becton

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I made both of those picks! ? 

I'll score my mock. I assume players only count once? For instance, I had the Vikings taking Jefferson at 25, they took him at 22. Is that 3 for +/- 3 slots and 2 for player team match? Or just 3 because most value?

That would be 3 points. 

• Like (+1) 1

You should add points for the Chargers getting Herbert by trading back to 10 and picking up an extra second!

But, then I guess I should be penalized for trading back into the first to get OT Jones at 26....

4 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

That would be 3 points. 

Based on that ruling I got a 64.

5 pointers - Burrow, Young, Okudah, Wills, Jeudy

4 points - Kinlaw at pick 14

3 points - Herbert 5v6, Tua 6v5, Simmons 7v8, Becton 8v11, Brown 9v7, Ruggs 13v12, Murray 21v23, Jefferson 25v22

1 point - Wirfs, Thomas, Lamb, Henderson, Love, Queen, Chaisson, Ruiz, Jackson, Reagor, Terrell

Personally, I usually check 3 or 4 things on my mock, exact matches, player/team matches, team/position matches, and correct 1st rounders.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Based on that ruling I got a 64.

5 pointers - Burrow, Young, Okudah, Wills, Jeudy

4 points - Kinlaw at pick 14

3 points - Herbert 5v6, Tua 6v5, Simmons 7v8, Becton 8v11, Brown 9v7, Ruggs 13v12, Murray 21v23, Jefferson 25v22

1 point - Wirfs, Thomas, Lamb, Henderson, Love, Queen, Chaisson, Ruiz, Jackson, Reagor, Terrell

Personally, I usually check 3 or 4 things on my mock, exact matches, player/team matches, team/position matches, and correct 1st rounders.

The key things I saw in the different drafts were as expected:

1.  Miss early and it ripples through the draft

2.  Trades are hard to forecast .  There were however several picks where the player/spot was correct but the team was wrong. 

3.  Late picks are tough as the tiers of players get bigger.

I was updating as the draft was occurring and Peter King was killing it.  He had 7 of first 11 exactly right then he fell apart because he missed 8 players.

One thing for sure - Bucky Brooks was not good.  i suspect most of our TSW draft gurus would have beaten him.

I still can't believe the Packers took Love.  He's a total media pick, IMO.  He is NOT Mahomes, or Rodgers.  He is a talented, erratic passer.  His upside is J. Winston, IMO.  And the window with Rodgers is closing.  You need weapons to win now.  I would have taken a RB, WR, or run-stuffer (they need that also), then come back in the 2nd and gotten Eason or Fromm, both of whom I think will be better than Love (and one of whome likely ends up on the Pats****).  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

My scoring system was:

The results were:

Add the other mock drafts front he board, too, if you would be so kind as to donate more of your time, please.

I really wonder about the value of our picks, individually. Haha.

16 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

My scoring system was:

The results were:

So since Burrow/Bengals was a gimmee, all that time spent on the TSW Mock drafted yielded exactly ONE correct player-team-slot? Why is this even a thing every year?

So Jets went 

OT, WR, S, DE thru three rounds in real. 

I gave them 

OT, WR, DE, TE, WR, LB thru three Rounds and actually got their Disgruntled safety off the roster. 

Edited by MAJBobby