Defensive Backs in Top 10 of Round 1

In 2003, 2004, and 2005, their first pick was a receiver. In most years they just picked the wrong players, not necessarily the wrong positions. For instance, Fairly was GREAT in college but didn't do much in the NFL.

That said, letting a talented DB walk and replacing him with a #3 is just stupid. It is exactly what the Bills used to do.

21 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I suppose that I would have taken Andrew Thomas. He shows signs of true greatness and could protect your QB and open up the run for many years. I am NOT saying that the corner isn't good, or even great. I don't know. What I do know that a trip on the defensive back merry go-round where you draft them early, lose them, and draft another one is a proven, guaranteed method to lose. I have seen it too many times.

Bill, In today’s NFL, stud CBs are actually more valuable than edge rushers. There is a whole lot of analysis that bears this out.  Okudah is an INCREDIBLE talent, and is the best CB prospect I’ve seen in a while. I respect your opinion, but this isn’t 2003 anymore. The best first round pick by the Bills in the last decade was a CB (unless of course Allen works out; no one is more important than the QB), and he was a replacement for the CB who eventually became defensive player of the year and a star performer in a super bowl.

With regard to the Lions, they lost a lot of close games and their qb was injured. They los in large part because their pass defense was terrible. They need to fix that, and when a game changing CB is available, you take him. It totally changes how you can play defense. Yes, I know Slay is good, but Okudah has a lot more upside at this point.

18 hours ago, CookieG said:

Yeah well, ..there's Revis..and um...Deion Sanders and...um...maybe Patrick Peterson, but then...how good have the Cards been since he's been drafted?  (3 winning season out of 8).

I don't know if you make it a rule that a DB is the cornerstone of your franchise when the two examples are from 20 and 30 years ago and are HOF'ers.

Cleveland has done it a number of times...Joe Haden, Denzell Ward, Justin Gilbert and people are still waiting for them to turn it around.  And hell, both Haden and Ward are good.  But neither transformed the Browns.

The Jets spent a better part of the Rex Ryan era using their top pick on a DB, and that was when they had Revis.  After initial success, they've been a bad, bad franchise.

And of course..there's the droughty Bills.

Not to mention that there is a pretty high bust factor.

Dee Millner

Justin Gilbert

Mo Claiborne

Eli Apple is going to be on his 3rd team since 2016, provided someone picks him up.

Those are guys taken in the top 10 in just the past 8 years. I think there were only 8 taken in the top 10 during that time.

Its about a 50% bust ratio.

Its an important position..but wayyyyy overrated as the place to build a franchise

The bust ratio for every position is high. There have been a huge number of top 15 OT busts in the past decade.

Edited by dave mcbride

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Bill, In today’s NFL, stud CBs are actually more valuable than edge rushers. There is a whole lot of analysis that bears this out.  Okudah is an INCREDIBLE talent, and is the best CB prospect I’ve seen in a while. I respect your opinion, but this isn’t 2003 anymore. The best first round pick by the Bills in the last decade was a CB (unless of course Allen works out; no one is more important than the QB), and he was a replacement for the CB who eventually became defensive player of the year and a star performer in a super bowl.

With regard to the Lions, they lost a lot of close games and their qb was injured. They los in large part because their pass defense was terrible. They need to fix that, and when a game changing CB is available, you take him. It totally changes how you can play defense. Yes, I know Slay is good, but Okudah has a lot more upside at this point.

Dave, thanks for the kind words. Before I respond, do know that for just so long I have anxiously read, enjoyed, and learned from your posts.

This being a given, I 100% disagree with the bolded. Tre was not the best pick. In fact, imo he was clearly a bad pick. We walked away from a SB winner and another potentially great QB. Gilmore was another bad pick. Our team sucked and his play was unspectacular and lackluster, until he got to a clearly superior team.

As our friend Badol said, the draft is a process. It is also part of the process of team building. BPA is very tough to argue with but it has become trite imo.  The idea is to build a winning team, not to draft players who are "good" and continue to lose.

My GF is a Giant Fan. I actually predicted their 1st and 2nd Round picks. Now, she thinks that I am smart lol. I LOVED both picks. They took an OT who I think will be a great one. In round 2 they took a safety Dave. Yes, I AM partial to Bama players but I watched every play of McKinnie's career. The kid is a smart, wonderful player. Saban glowingly talks about him, and he played this season on a not so great Bama defense.

I am skeptical about the Bills trade for Diggs, but my lack of seeing him play disqualifies me from making a pertinent remark. I think/hope that the Bills have turned the corner in terms of stupidity. They appear to have jumped off of the first round DB roller coaster.

Thanks again and GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1