2020 NFL Draft Round 2 and 3 Discussion.

MAJBobby

28 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Huge run on Bandit’s guys at the end of round 3:

Evans

Duvernay

Greenard

Troutman

Eliot

Duvernay is gonna be sick in that offense.  I would’ve been psyched if the Bills took him instead of Moss, although I like the way Moss plays and I think he’ll bring some juice and attitude to the offense.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Duvernay is gonna be sick in that offense.  I would’ve been psyched if the Bills took him instead of Moss, although I like the way Moss plays and I think he’ll bring some juice and attitude to the offense.

Agreed.

I definitely see Moss as a Marion Barber type. My concerns are that there’s no “second dimension” to Buffalo’s ground game (aside from Allen), and that the Barber types don’t typically last long into their second contract given the beating that they take.

But if it delivers a Lombardi here I’ll be just fine.

As to Duvernay, he’s the “Big McKenzie” type I think we’d all like.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Agreed.

I definitely see Moss as a Marion Barber type. My concerns are that there’s no “second dimension” to Buffalo’s ground game (aside from Allen), and that the Barber types don’t typically last long into their second contract given the beating that they take.

But if it delivers a Lombardi here I’ll be just fine.

As to Duvernay, he’s the “Big McKenzie” type I think we’d all like.

Yes.  That is still the “missing piece” IMO - a better version of what McKenzie does.

• Like (+1) 1

My general thoughts: 

With no first round pick, it becomes a little harder to get excited about second and third round picks.  I understand that Stephon Diggs is Buffalo's "first round pick" and any overall assessment of this draft has to take into account the trade to acquire Diggs.  However, the first two picks in the draft have planted a seed of concern in my mind - team speed.  I know that in any assessment of an individual player's ability/potential, speed is not the only concern, and generally not the most important one.  Players who lack excellent speed can be highly productive.  One need look no further than Devin Singletary to see evidence of that.  However, overall team speed is an issue that can affect a team's success.  Epenesa and Moss are both among the slowest players in their respective position groups.  I get that both "play faster than their timed speeds, but when a GM builds his team without respect to team speed, it eventually becomes an issue.

Right now, Buffalo has good speed at WR, thanks mostly to Brown and Diggs.  Dawson Knox is among the faster tight ends if he can address the issue of drops.  The Bills are slow and RB, and pretty slow at CB.  Tre White has OK speed, but that's about it.  On the defensive line, Ed Oliver has excellent timed speed for his size and position.  I don't know how Jerry Hughes timed when he came out of college, but it was probably pretty good.  He's depended a great deal on his explosive first step and an array of moves over the years.  He's probably lost a step over time, and he's much closer to the end of his career than the start.  That's about it for the D-line.  At linebacker, Buffalo does have very good speed.  Edmunds is a freak as we know.  Milano, while not freakish, is plenty fast enough.  There's some speed in the linebacker depth too.  At safety, I don't think it stands out either way.  Poyer and Hyde are probably not blazing fast, but they seem to have plenty of speed for what they do.  

I'm mainly saying that Beane needs to be careful, and keep an eye on team speed going forward, or it could bite him in the behind down the road.

3 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

My general thoughts: 

With no first round pick, it becomes a little harder to get excited about second and third round picks.  I understand that Stephon Diggs is Buffalo's "first round pick" and any overall assessment of this draft has to take into account the trade to acquire Diggs.  However, the first two picks in the draft have planted a seed of concern in my mind - team speed.  I know that in any assessment of an individual player's ability/potential, speed is not the only concern, and generally not the most important one.  Players who lack excellent speed can be highly productive.  One need look no further than Devin Singletary to see evidence of that.  However, overall team speed is an issue that can affect a team's success.  Epenesa and Moss are both among the slowest players in their respective position groups.  I get that both "play faster than their timed speeds, but when a GM builds his team without respect to team speed, it eventually becomes an issue.

Moss was injured at the combine and still ran. He later posted a 4.52. not blazing fast, but more reasonable.

• Like (+1) 1