2020 NFL Draft Round 2 and 3 Discussion.

MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I still think they’re most likely to take a WR that makes these guys expendable. A Shenault, Hamler, Bowden, etc. A guy with versatility and/ teams value. The big outside WR doesn’t seem to be a priority. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if they grabbed Claypool. 

Not saying we should or shouldn’t, but 2 years ago we had Kelvin Benjamin, Zay and foster as our WR unit.  We’ve invested  15ish mill in brown and Beasley.  Adding Diggs and one more good WR isn’t so far fetched to me considering our OL is just average and our QB not able to do it on his own just yet.  

I’d prefer a rb myself, but there are a few WRs out there that I’d love to have in A Bills uniform for the next 4 years and would be able to help immediately 

3 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

Went BPA with every pick here. 54 was tough with a lot of good options available. Makes me really excited that see what Brand does there. This draft is pretty unrealistic in the sheer number of offensive guys, but can you imagine how good our playmakers could be next year, and in the future? Diggs, Brown, Bease, Pittman, and Gandy-Golden is a helluva top5. I think we would keep McKenzie and Roberts. Akers + Singletary is a nice 1-2 punch, and there is a lot of potential between Knox and Okwuegbunam. 

Buffalo_Bills_logo.svg.png

Gandy-Golden won’t last anywhere near that long. 

Edited by BuffaloBob

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

There's no way the Bills walk away from this draft having used their 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th round picks on wide receivers.

From a resources value, that just doesn't make any sense. 

The Packers have arguably the best QB of this generation AND more glaring needs elsewhere than we have, and used their 1 on a QB.

The Chiefs have arguably the best offense in the history of the game AND more glaring needs elsewhere than we have, and used their 1 on a RB.

The draft isn't always about "making sense" with your resources. It's about finding the best on-field value. Maybe Beane thinks that's at WR, maybenot, but simply adding up the total number of assets used doesn't really make a difference. Under your logic, the assets the Falcons gave up for Julio probably don't make any sense either, but that seems to have worked out just fine for them. Again, I struggle to see where else on the roster -- when taking in positional and draft value into account -- we have a bigger glaringly obvious deficiency (that can't also be addressed via free agency.) There's talent left at DB and a couple interesting guys at DE, but beyond that, we're set at QB, OL and DL, the talent/value isn't there at LB or TE, as many have posited a complementary RB can be had later in the draft... what's left? A wr with size (none of our top 3 WRs are tipping the scales at 6') can add a new dimension to this offense.

Besides all of that, regardless of how many assets would've been spent on 2 WRs, we'd still have a 3, 4, 5, two 6s and a 7 to fill maybe 5 slots. It's not like we're hurting for draft capital in terms of numbers...

I may be right on what eventually happens with this, I may be wrong. But it's not like this is SUUUUCH a crazy idea that it's not worth discussing, there's absolutely a logical path to taking a WR in the 2nd or 3rd...

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I still think they’re most likely to take a WR that makes these guys expendable. A Shenault, Hamler, Bowden, etc. A guy with versatility and/ teams value. The big outside WR doesn’t seem to be a priority. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if they grabbed Claypool. 

KJ Hamler might be the only pick at 54 that I’d be upset about.

I don’t see a RB moving the needle for this offense unless he’s also a big threat in the passing game.  You gotta throw the ball and score points to win championships.  Diggs was an excellent get, but him alone isn’t taking our passing game to the championship level.  Our defense is close to championship level.  Singletary plus a vet upgrade over Gore and Josh’s ability to use his legs is adequate in the running game.  If there isn’t a Kittle or Kelce in this draft at TE, get me a big dynamic WR like Pittman or Claypool.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree too. Bandit and I have already discussed. Does he make to us is my question?

I think it’s likely. He didn’t run at the combine, and the lack of pro days mean that he didn’t get to show he has fully recovered and has enough speed to play CB. As a result his best fit is a zone heavy team that may have a future need at safety or run a lot of big nickle. 

1 minute ago, glazeduck said:

The Packers have arguably the best QB of this generation AND more glaring needs elsewhere than we have, and used their 1 on a QB.

The Chiefs have arguably the best offense in the history of the game AND more glaring needs elsewhere than we have, and used their 1 on a RB.

The draft isn't always about "making sense" with your resources. It's about finding the best on-field value. Maybe Beane thinks that's at WR, maybenot, but simply adding up the total number of assets used doesn't really make a difference. Under your logic, the assets the Falcons gave up for Julio probably don't make any sense either, but that seems to have worked out just fine for them. Again, I struggle to see where else on the roster -- when taking in positional and draft value into account -- we have a bigger glaringly obvious deficiency (that can't also be addressed via free agency.) There's talent left at DB and a couple interesting guys at DE, but beyond that, we're set at QB, OL and DL, the talent/value isn't there at LB or TE, as many have posited a complementary RB can be had later in the draft... what's left? A wr with size (none of our top 3 WRs are tipping the scales at 6') can add a new dimension to this offense.

Besides all of that, regardless of how many assets would've been spent on 2 WRs, we'd still have a 3, 4, 5, two 6s and a 7 to fill maybe 5 slots. It's not like we're hurting for draft capital in terms of numbers...

I may be right on what eventually happens with this, I may be wrong. But it's not like this is SUUUUCH a crazy idea that it's not worth discussing, there's absolutely a logical path to taking a WR in the 2nd or 3rd...

GB is planning for the future.

KC's weakest position on offense was RB. 

Neither of these teams really reinvented the wheel last night.

Using another pick on a WR who will play maybe a few snaps a game makes little, to no sense. 

20 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

There's no way the Bills walk away from this draft having used their 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th round picks on wide receivers.

From a resources value, that just doesn't make any sense. 

They still have their 5th and 6th rd picks if they take one in the 2nd. Those were extra picks they used. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Not saying we should or shouldn’t, but 2 years ago we had Kelvin Benjamin, Zay and foster as our WR unit.  We’ve invested  15ish mill in brown and Beasley.  Adding Diggs and one more good WR isn’t so far fetched to me considering our OL is just average and our QB not able to do it on his own just yet.  

I’d prefer a rb myself, but there are a few WRs out there that I’d love to have in A Bills uniform for the next 4 years and would be able to help immediately 

I'm sticking by my guns that we're picking a combination of wr, rb & edge in rounds 2-4. I'm hoping we wait till the 4th round to go edge.

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, but Daboll seems to have different preferences than Denison. I could easily see a McKenzie or Roberts replacement getting drafted to upgrade the “gadget” role. It’s why I took a deep dive into Bowden after they met with him. Personally, I’d rather see CB, RB, or Edge at 54. If the value is substantially higher at WR when we pick im all for it though. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

GB is planning for the future.

KC's weakest position on offense was RB. 

Neither of these teams really reinvented the wheel last night.

Using another pick on a WR who will play maybe a few snaps a game makes little, to no sense. 

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't understand why we can't also be planning for the future to some degree (while also taking a player who plays special teams and provides another element to the offense?)

I'm also not sure where else you're going to take a player who will have a much more substantive impact in games AND provide similar value...

DE is 3+ deep already, we've clearly been poking around in free agency and the talent pool in this draft is dreadful.

CB has a few interesting players, but we also have 3 guys on the roster already vying for that starting spot and our staff has shown that they're able to find/develop talent from later picks.

TE is already a full room, and while they're not sexy, seem to fit what the staff wants. We had zero interest in any free agents and this is not a good class, so that doesn't exactly seem to fit.

RB has talent, but they've already made it clear that Singletary is their #1, so probably makes more sense to find a complementary back later.

Safeties are locked in. If you're looking at a big nickel I'd argue there's really only 1 realistic option on the board that fits for both talent and value.

I'm not sure where you think we're going to find this franchise starter in the 2nd, but WR is just as good an argument as any of these others. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As a running back?

Oops sorry I didn't qualify. I was talking as a QB. I know he's  not a fit for the Bills. In general, on the right team you think he can be like the next Lamar Jackson? He is a winner. His passing skills do need work. Curious to hear your imput.

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

I think another receiver gets lost in the shuffle. 

Your #4 receiver needs to play special teams or they'll be inactive on game day and I don't see any of these big receivers providing that versatility. 

Claypool

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Yeah, but Daboll seems to have different preferences than Denison. I could easily see a McKenzie or Roberts replacement getting drafted to upgrade the “gadget” role. It’s why I took a deep dive into Bowden after they met with him. Personally, I’d rather see CB, RB, or Edge at 54. If the value is substantially higher at WR when we pick im all for it though. 

I agree 100%.

i love 4 of the RBs that are left, so if one is there, that’s who I hope we take.

i love Bowden later on.  He’d be a nice possible upgrade for mckenzie for sure.  Mckenzie is more dynamic with the ball in his hands imo due to his burst.  Bowden offers more as a wR and throwing the ball.  

give me Gibson or give me death

it looks to me like the sweet spot for DEs is rd 3.  I don’t think there will be any worth a dam in rd 4.