2020 NFL Draft Round 2 and 3 Discussion.

MAJBobby

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Wasn’t Neal supposed to be a small school athletic freak in his draft write up? 

Ceiling, sure, but I though Neal was an elite athlete. 

I think you’re correct, to a degree. I didn’t think Neal had the speed/twitch of either Dugger or Chinn, but I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, ExWNYer said:

You're right. They may not be there. They are guys who offer position flexibility and would give McD and Frazier a chess piece to help counter these 'new age' QBs like Mahomes, Jackson, and possibly Tua. That's the appeal.

I agree with this.

We need a player who can affect the passing game and right now our weakest position on defense is probably our nickel back. 

If they can get a guy who can cover, and play the run, go for it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Also I really think this Virtual stuff has made GMs Gunshy. I think and I might be wrong. The trades that were made did Not involve any 2021 picks. Seems they are making movement in this weird draft without giving futures which tells me they are a little unsettled with the ability to get information on these players in this Environment they are in. 

No one will trade 2021 picks until they know if there will be a season.

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

Respectfully, I do not feel that Neal or Marlowe are in Dugger or Chinn’s area code in terms of athleticism and overall ceiling.

Chinn and Dugger, to me, are much closer to a Shaq Thompson or Derwin James. Neal and Marlowe will likely never be that.

Neal has done a lot in his first two seasons.

He is a good player.

They don't need Dugger or Chinn, but if they take either one of them, who am I to argue.

I think the run on RBs is about to happen. We'll be better off waiting until the 3rd or 4th round. A bunch of teams with WR needs already took a WR so one of the 2nd tier will probably fall to us. I wouldn't be shocked to see both Shenault and Higgins still on the board when we pick. Maybe Pittman too. If the board falls that way I actually hope we take a WR.

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, dneveu said:

They have potential to be stars in this defense.  Neal's made some plays, but mostly plays special teams.  Marlowe has 13 tackles and is 27 - so I don't think he's being counted on to play meaningful snaps.  

Neal is fine to me.

There are other players to be had at 54.

But like I said, if the Bills take either one at 54 or wherever, who am I to argue.

• Like (+1) 1

From Joe B, on Dugger, who he’s been pounding the table for:

Picture this: Tremaine Edmunds, Matt Milano and Kyle Dugger all on the field on base defenses, with the ability to stay on for third downs. All three can drop back capably into zone coverage and are explosive options to blitz. They’ll cause mayhem for opposing offenses. That’s what Carolina had with Thompson, Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis. He was the missing piece to McDermott’s vision back then, just like Dugger could be in the Bills’ defense. And that’s why the Bills made so many visits to see Dugger at Leinor-Rhyne this year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Picture this: Tremaine Edmunds, Matt Milano and Kyle Dugger all on the field on base defenses, with the ability to stay on for third downs. All three can drop back capably into zone coverage and are explosive options to blitz. They’ll cause mayhem for opposing offenses. That’s what Carolina had with Thompson, Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis. He was the missing piece to McDermott’s vision back then, just like Dugger could be in the Bills’ defense. And that’s why the Bills made so many visits to see Dugger at Leinor-Rhyne this year.

If they take Dugger, he is already 24 years old and he had better contribute right away, or it's a wasted pick.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Logic said:

I see lots and lots of anti big nickel sentiment, and I guess I’m curious what people’s reasoning is.

In my case, it's not the position per se, but the top candidates -- Dugger and Chinn -- that worry me. 

Both are small school guys with physical tools, but I can't see them making easy transitions to the NFL this year.   And this year is the operative concept for me -- and why I want to go RB or EDGE in round 2-3.   Both positions are the easiest to get up to speed quickly, regardless of player competition level or experience...

3 hours ago, r00tabaga said:

6’4” Higgins would be nice ? 

hoping for RB tho... Taylor or Dobbins

No problem with Higgins, bring him along behind John brown. I think with the way Beasley plays we can get another 4 years easily. Brown isn't going to get faster. I'm never for spending draft capitol or money on RBs but Taylor is 100% a mcD type of guy, humble team player and could be a game changer. If Taylor is there I want him. 

14 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am not convinced Dugger or Chinn will be there.  Seems like a really high pick for a 3rd safety but who knows.

I think they will. With McKinney and Winfield still being on the board i think that will push Dugger and Chinn down.  Before yesterday i would have agreed with you but there cant be that many safety needy teams 

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

If Dugger is basically our 3-down LB in base defense, as Joe outlines, that description is certainly sexy af.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I’d love Higgins or Gross-Matos at 54. NOT a RB!!!!

I think they’ll be gone by then but a guy can wish, right?

Throw Epenesa in there as well! Those are the ones that are jumping out for me, I even consider a trade to get one of them.

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

Depending on the price, I would love adding Samuel. I’d use him more at RB than Carolina did. More of a souped up Ty Montgomery, who would also take over McKenzie’s jet sweep/gadget role.

Why treade if you can get Laviska who can do the same.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think the run on RBs is about to happen. We'll be better off waiting until the 3rd or 4th round. A bunch of teams with WR needs already took a WR so one of the 2nd tier will probably fall to us. I wouldn't be shocked to see both Shenault and Higgins still on the board when we pick. Maybe Pittman too. If the board falls that way I actually hope we take a WR.

But, but, I thought only fools draft RBs before the 4th or 5th round - you can find them anywhere or so some have told us.

BTW, I agree that there will be multiple teams picking backs in round 2.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Bottom-line for me is that it's great to be in a situation where Beane will have multiple options available to him. Short of a K, P, or LS (not going to happen), I can't imagine being overly disappointed in anyone they get here. Locking in on a specific player when you have to wait 21 picks is setting yourself up for major disappointment as a fan.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

HappyDays would be happening for me If Buffalo drafted Tee Higgins tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If Dugger is basically our 3-down LB in base defense, as Joe outlines, that description is certainly sexy af.  

Speed of a DB but size of a LB (Dugger is 5 pounds lighter than Milano). More I think about it, more I want Dugger or Chinn at 54 to complete the defense. This isn't a "third safety" or "big nickle corner" or some mini-LB gimic, this is a new age defensive weapon that could thrive in McDs defense.

Go get Dugger or Chinn!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1