2020 NFL Draft Round 2 and 3 Discussion.

MAJBobby

I see lots and lots of anti big nickel sentiment, and I guess I’m curious what people’s reasoning is.

I want an Edge and a RB2, as well, but what if the value isn’t there?

Do people not understand that a big nickel would essentially be a starter in this defense and would provide maximum flexibility and disguise ability to the defense? 

We we saw last night with the Isaiah Simmons pick and recently with Derwin James that position-less defensive players are the future of the NFL. 

I’m just confused as to why people don’t want a super athletic, versatile playmaker like Dugger or Chinn who could take Buffalo’s defense to the next level.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Taylor is going between 33-44.

I’m thinking he’s gone by 40.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

nailed it.

Will I get to add that to “right player, right team, wrong slot” in my round 1 mock thread? ?

Just now, Logic said:

I see lots and lots of anti big nickel sentiment, and I guess I’m curious what people’s reasoning is.

Do people not understand that a big nickel would essentially be a starter in this defense and would provide maximum flexibility and disguise ability to the defense? 

We we saw last night with the Isaiah Simmons pick and recently with Derwin James that position-less defensive players are the future of the NFL. 

I’m just confused as to why people don’t want a super athletic, versatile playmaker like Dugger or Chinn who could take Buffalo’s defense to the next level.

I think folks are pretty satisfied with Taron and Siran handling that role. Not that I don’t see the value in what you’re promoting.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

There is also no indication from Duggar’s college film that he can play big nickel 

• Like (+1) 1

Draft Network mock. Highest rated player was offensive tackle Josh Jones but I went with Taylor instead.

Jonathan Taylor  RB

Darnay Holmes CB

K.J. Hill WR

Justin Strnad LB

Terence Steele OT

D.J. Wonnum  EDGE

Austin Mack WR

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think people struggle to understand the flexibility of a modern day NFL team. We read a depth chart and we see CBx2, Sx2, LBx3. So we fill in those spots and don't see a place for a third safety. I like the idea of Dugger or Chinn if that's where the value is. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

My "BIG BOARD" in order of preference for pick 54:

RB Cam Akers

WR Tee Higgins

EDGE A.J Epenesa

CB Christian Fulton

RB D'Andre Swift

DE Marlon Davidson

RB JK Dobbins

OT Andrew Thomas

DT Justin Madubuike

S Xavier McKinney

WR Michael Pittman 

S Grant Delpit 

EDGE Terrell Lewis 

DT Neville Gallimore 

CB Jaylon Johnson 

TE Cole Kmet

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think 54 is too rich for Dugger.  

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Is Dugger that much better than Siran Neal that we should use a second round pick on a rotational player? Does he have a true future at a regular safety position or are we trying to find the next Derwin James? I don’t quite understand the Dugger thing. I’m not totally against it as he seems like an interesting prospect, I’m just wondering why it’s a thing. If its a case of BPA then I’m cool with it. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Yantha said:

My "BIG BOARD" in order of preference for pick 54:

RB Cam Akers

WR Tee Higgins

EDGE A.J Epenesa

CB Christian Fulton

RB D'Andre Swift

DE Marlon Davidson

RB JK Dobbins

OT Andrew Thomas

DT Justin Madubuike

S Xavier McKinney

WR Michael Pittman 

S Grant Delpit 

EDGE Terrell Lewis 

DT Neville Gallimore 

CB Jaylon Johnson 

TE Cole Kmet

What do you like about Akers? I know very little about him. Who is his best comparison?

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Is Dugger that much better than Siran Neal that we should use a second round pick on a rotational player? Does he have a true future at a regular safety position or are we trying to find the next Derwin James? I don’t quite understand the Dugger thing. I’m not totally against it as he seems like an interesting prospect, I’m just wondering why it’s a thing. If its a case of BPA then I’m cool with it. 

Neal is a heckuva player and Marlow is a pretty good reserve.

I really don't understand the sentiment with Dugger or Chinn.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PIZ said:

What do you like about Akers? I know very little about him. Who is his best comparison?

I like Akers because he has good vision to sort through blockers, and rarely goes down on first contact.  I think he's a great compliment to Singletary's skill-set.  Although shorter, I see him as a similar back as Le'Veon Bell.  Just watching his power running style.

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, njbuff said:

Neal is a heckuva player and Marlow is a pretty good reserve.

I really don't understand the sentiment with Dugger or Chinn.

They have potential to be stars in this defense.  Neal's made some plays, but mostly plays special teams.  Marlowe has 13 tackles and is 27 - so I don't think he's being counted on to play meaningful snaps.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He replaces much of what Lorax did and gives them flexibility to sub in and out of nickel looks.  Milano, Edmunds and Dugger on the field at the same time provides real problems for the offense.  That said, I doubt he makes much of an impact on defense in year 1, and watching guys like Hamler and Pittman make plays while our top pick is a special teams gunner is going to be hard to stomach.  As I keep saying - he’s a comfort zone pick for McBeane, because they know they can use him.  I’d prefer they stretched a bit more... 

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 2