Is Tua Johnny Manziel 2.0?

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Let’s look at the facts. Both players benefitted from STAR OT’s in college. Both players benefitted from STAR WR’s. Tua has even better players than Johnny.

If the Emperor loses his clothes, is he really just a Johnny Manziel without the cool nickname?

I mean how easy he had it is definitely something to think about. I remember in 2018 training camp people talking about how good A.J. McArron could be because of all those college championships he'd won just like the guys before and after him.

Manziel's best play was running around until a WR got wide open... it wasn't sitting in the pocket.

Tua runs when he as to, not the other way around.

Tua >>>>> Manziel

Manziel had bust written all over him... That's why the only ppl interested in him was Cleveland and Jerry Jones.

These two have nothing in common.  Tua is by all accounts a very good natural leader, has incredible accuracy and vision, and a family oriented young man.

Manzeil is a self inflated party boy who had everything handed to him and didn’t put in the work, not to mention has an addictions problem.  I know this is not just a matter of self restraint, but just as the word states, an addiction.  He brought his problems on himself.

As much as Ill never root for the Phish, I do hope Tua has a solid career in football.

• Like (+1) 2

Just watching him before the injury he reminded me and looked like Steve Young.  Left handed qb with amazing accuracy at all levels.  If he stays healthy I think the Bengals will regret passing on him.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, hjnick said:

Manziel's best play was running around until a WR got wide open... it wasn't sitting in the pocket.

Tua runs when he as to, not the other way around.

Tua >>>>> Manziel

Manziel had bust written all over him... That's why the only ppl interested in him was Cleveland and Jerry Jones.

Yes, so the comparison should be between Hurts and Manziel.  Hurts was the Alabama version of Manziel who was a threat to run but was not as accurate throwing the ball (but often did not need to be because receivers were open).  Alabama switched to Tua because he is more accurate and even though he had great receivers, if you watch the games he would hit the right receiver and in stride.  He's quite different from Manziel and Hurts.

• Like (+1) 1

Tua isnt a headcase but he is the product of a good team and great players. The problem with Tua and Burrow is that they rely on their arm and the talent at WR, and slower backfields in college. What I saw out of those two is poor traditional mechanics that JA flashes sometimes. When JA doesnt set his feet he throws errant passes that he either gets bailed out by his receivers or they're picked/incomplete. 

That said, Herbert shows good poise and mechanics. Sets his feet and uses his body to deliver the ball, even on roll outs.

20 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Manziel was Doug Flutie on drugs...

The most important people on the Dolphins will be their trainer and doctor.

The first time Oliver rings the Tua bell he will be running home to mom's house.

NB, I’m not saying I disagree he has a risk of getting hurt, but he has faced defenses in the SEC for years and that is by far the toughest division in college ball.  Just think about how many defensive players will be drafted from the SEC over three days.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

Let’s look at the facts. Both players benefitted from STAR OT’s in college. Both players benefitted from STAR WR’s. Tua has even better players than Johnny.

Hear that a lot about Tua.  Why don't people say that about Burrow (1 year wonder at stacked LSU)?

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

If the Emperor loses his clothes, is he really just a Johnny Manziel without the cool nickname?

I think he’s closer to being  R Wilson 2.0  but I hope I’m wrong 

Ok, it’s really early in the morning for me ️ but I’ll give it a try.

He’s a good player. The Dolphins got a good one. I actually really like Burrow, Tua and Herbert as I think this is actually a very good draft class for QBs. I thought Tua shoulda went #2 overall so I think Miami did well here. He’s going to a team that is neglect of talent though and I don’t think Miami has the FO and coaching staff to threaten the Bills. Tua is very decent though. Sit him on the bench behind Fitzpatrick for a year n let him learn and his body heal up. Should be a good player for a long time. I thought the rest of their draft sucked though.

33 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

NB, I’m not saying I disagree he has a risk of getting hurt, but he has faced defenses in the SEC for years and that is by far the toughest division in college ball.  Just think about how many defensive players will be drafted from the SEC over three days.

Your point is valid, except look at the results...injury, injury, injury...when he faces real defences each week...mom's house will look good.

7 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean how easy he had it is definitely something to think about. I remember in 2018 training camp people talking about how good A.J. McArron could be because of all those college championships he'd won just like the guys before and after him.

AJ had a better OL, maybe the best ever, AND a much better defense that the 2019 Crimson Tide.

Nothing to see here.

42 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hear that a lot about Tua.  Why don't people say that about Burrow (1 year wonder at stacked LSU)?

Because the Dolphins didn't draft him.