Todd McShay has COVID-19, off draft broadcast

Rico

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

No by the NFL offices. The pick is in for at least a minute and a half before the Commish gets on stage. Because the next team has to be informed who is picked as soon as they go on the clock.

So he would suddenly change from his mock pick to the correct pick...

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So he would suddenly change from his mock pick to the correct pick...

I don't think we were talking about mocks..... although if we were ignore me.... I thought we were talking about the on screen analysis before picks are announced especially in round 1. Where he regularly called the name of the right guy as Goodell walked on stage after telling you for 90 seconds why X team had to go for a totally different position. 

And I liked Mayock, thought he was good, but used to annoy the hell out of me when he did that. Yea.... we can all predict the pick when someone is giving us the answer in our ear....

Edited by GunnerBill

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think we were talking about mocks..... although if we were ignore me.... I thought we were talking about the on screen analysis before picks are announced especially in round 1. Where he regularly called the name of the right guy as Goodell walked on stage after telling you for 90 seconds why X team had to go for a totally different position. 

And I liked Mayock, thought he was good, but used to annoy the hell out of me when he did that. Yea.... we can all predict the pick when someone is giving us the answer in our ear....

I meant he was always lauded for his mock drafts.  But you are saying he would contradict his own mock picks that he would publish up to the draft...because he was shouted the actual pick into his earpiece just before the announcement.  How did he explain that?  "Hey Mike, you've been mocking player X at this pick for days---why did you just change it?  Oh hold on looks like you were right!  WOW".

And why would the league benefit from tipping off the pick right before the pick? 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

I meant he was always lauded for his mock drafts.  But you are saying he would contradict his own mock picks that he would publish up to the draft...because he was shouted the actual pick into his earpiece just before the announcement.  How did he explain that?  "Hey Mike, you've been mocking player X at this pick for days---why did you just change it?  Oh hold on looks like you were right!  WOW".

And why would the league benefit from tipping off the pick right before the pick? 

Well obviously once you are a few picks and your mock goes wrong you don't still say "well they will take player X" if he is already off the board. But yes... he would basically say "oh it could be X as the Commish walked on stage" and then they would cut back to Eisen and Mariucci who would say "good call Mike". Was cringe worthy. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well obviously once you are a few picks and your mock goes wrong you don't still say "well they will take player X" if he is already off the board. But yes... he would basically say "oh it could be X as the Commish walked on stage" and then they would cut back to Eisen and Mariucci who would say "good call Mike". Was cringe worthy. 

How did they catch him?

While it wouldn't surprise me if he did get the 'heads up', I always felt that he did a terrific job with teams needs and who they were going to pick in the later rounds.

Tbh, I don't/didn't really care about who is most right with a draft mock, I simply would rather have listened to Mayock on draft nights, than any of the others.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I wish McShay nothing but the best but I tend to agree. They could probably cut to him once every 5 picks for 2 minutes on his thoughts. They don’t need to abuse him but...

Maybe he is so sick he can’t even speak, breathe, or whatever other hardships may come with the infection. If that’s the case, remarks about “infections over the Internet” and “cutting to him” don’t address the issue.  We just don’t know enough about the circumstances regarding his health to make a judgment, (nor should we know, his health, his business).  Thoughts ?

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

Maybe he is so sick he can’t even speak, breathe, or whatever other hardships may come with the infection. If that’s the case, remarks about “infections over the Internet” and “cutting to him” don’t address the issue.  We just don’t know enough about the circumstances regarding his health to make a judgment, (nor should we know, his health, his business).  Thoughts ?

Of course he shouldn’t do anything if he’s really bad off. My guess is that it’s optics primarily as @Lurker pointed out. It’s a bad look to have him, even for a brief time on TV while the whole draft is being conducted from home. It appears insensitive. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I wish McShay nothing but the best but I tend to agree. They could probably cut to him once every 5 picks for 2 minutes on his thoughts. They don’t need to abuse him but...

Perhaps he is in no condition for this?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Eh?

How did you find out they were tipping him off?

21 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Well, don't some folks like Woody Harrelson believe that COVID is transmitted via the 5G network.

Hempman!

3 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Let's just go back to saying Wuhan Virus. It's more accurate.

Yep. Because that's of paramount importance. Priorities!

Anyway, don't like McShay, but obviously wish him well. Young/seemingly healthy guy so I would assume his prognosis is good.