Bold predictions for tonight's first round.

turftoe

2 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I'm gonna counter your hot take with my own hot take.

Chase Claypool doesn't get drafted until Saturday

That’s pretty bold.... I don’t believe my guess either, except somebody may fall in love with the height, weight, speed....

4 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I'm gonna counter your hot take with my own hot take.

Chase Claypool doesn't get drafted until Saturday

I could see that.  He's seems to me to be a WR/TE tweener. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

That’s pretty bold.... I don’t believe my guess either, except somebody may fall in love with the height, weight, speed....

He'll be a special teams stud regardless of his progression as a wideout. He'll be a good pick. 

The Gilmore, Edelman, Thuney trade won't happen.  The Cheaters would face a $23M amortized bonus acceleration.  Moreover the combined salaries of those players is $28M, which is what the Lions have available when just counting their top-51.  Then you figure Thuney will want $15M/year and Gilmore will want a raise after getting DPOTY and it's a non-starter.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think the issue is that player over 30 in the NFL are mostly worthless. 

The guys you mentioned aren't worth anything more than late round picks, so to make that move New England might have to trade like 3 first and 3 seconds to get up that high. 

If it was going to happen, New England would already need to have traded into the teens. The late 20s is way too distant a jump off point to move all the way into the top 5. 

I think the board will come to them at QB and they'll be able to get the guy they want if they go that route in the 10-15 range and save a massive amount of draft capital. 

Stephon Gilmore is 29, knows Patricia's system and is a plug and play guy at a high level. If he were part of a deal, then it wouldn't take a ton of picks. Throw in Thuney as well. I think any deal with NE wouldn't happen until Detroit is on the clock, keeping away any urgency for another team to trade to #2. 

39 minutes ago, turftoe said:

I doubt they would let Gilmore go. #23 plus Thuney plus Edelman plus next years first. They also have 3-3rd rounders and 2-4ths this year. NE and Detroit have made several trades the past two years and I think there is something to GMs/Teams having a level of comfort with each other, especially for a big trade such as this. It's just my bold prediction on draft day.

My bold pick of the day is that Detroit won't trade out of the 3 spot unless someone takes Tua at #2.

If Tua is available at #3 he will be a Detroit Lion. Stafford is getting older and will never take the Lions to the next level. By drafting him, they can give him a year or two to heal and learn how to play at this level.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Gilmore, Edelman, Thuney trade won't happen.  The Cheaters would face a $23M amortized bonus acceleration.  Moreover the combined salaries of those players is $28M, which is what the Lions have available when just counting their top-51.  Then you figure Thuney will want $15M/year and Gilmore will want a raise after getting DPOTY and it's a non-starter.

What if it's just Gilmore and picks. Detroit traded away Slay even with a need at CB. Gilmore is plug and play in Patricia's system. Just food for thought. 

4 minutes ago, turftoe said:

What if it's just Gilmore and picks. Detroit traded away Slay even with a need at CB. Gilmore is plug and play in Patricia's system. Just food for thought. 

That's still a $5M cap hit for the Cheaters and removing their best defender.  And again Gilmore likely will be looking for a new contract because he got DPOTY and will now be with a crappy team.

And word is the Cheaters have been shopping Gilmore with no luck.

Edited by Doc

6 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

My bold pick of the day is that Detroit won't trade out of the 3 spot unless someone takes Tua at #2.

If Tua is available at #3 he will be a Detroit Lion. Stafford is getting older and will never take the Lions to the next level. By drafting him, they can give him a year or two to heal and learn how to play at this level.

Agree, Detroit would take a big cap hit if they let Stafford go this year. Tua could sit for a year. The problem is that Quinn and Patricia are on the hot seat. They need to win now. Getting Steffon Gilmore and extra picks goes a long way to making them better this year.

2 minutes ago, turftoe said:

Agree, Detroit would take a big cap hit if they let Stafford go this year. Tua could sit for a year. The problem is that Quinn and Patricia are on the hot seat. They need to win now. Getting Steffon Gilmore and extra picks goes a long way to making them better this year.

Slay is virtually as good.  Didn't help much.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

That's still a $5M cap hit for the Cheaters and removing their best defender.  And again Gilmore likely will be looking for a new contract because he got DPOTY and will now be with a crappy team.

And word is the Cheaters have been shopping Gilmore with no luck.

If the Patriots have been shopping Gilmore then they are probably already willing to take the 5M cap hit. Belichick is a master at letting guys go at peak value. Gilmore is going to cost more than he wants to pay and may be hitting the wall soon. Why not try to use him to move up for a top QB?

36 minutes ago, turftoe said:

Unless it was all misinformation. 

Speaking of Gruden, I found this to be hilarious. 

Gruden

I think it is Gruden being Gruden and making jokes at his own expense 

My Bold Prediction. Beane moves into the First as a player drops to get that 5th year option. 

Edited by MAJBobby

29 minutes ago, turftoe said:

If the Patriots have been shopping Gilmore then they are probably already willing to take the 5M cap hit. Belichick is a master at letting guys go at peak value. Gilmore is going to cost more than he wants to pay and may be hitting the wall soon. Why not try to use him to move up for a top QB?

Maybe they were fine with the cap hit or maybe they thought they could get Thuney to sign a far lower deal?  I don't know, again it was just a rumor.

But Gilmore, as you said, is older, going to cost a ton and may be hitting the wall soon.  And the Lions had Slay and he didn't help much.  Why trade for Gilmore and lose-out on the 3rd overall pick?