Who is your surprising Round 1 Pick

RyanC883

This happens almost every year.  Someone that most people have a day 2 or 3 grade on them ends up getting picked in Round 1.  So, who is your surprise round 1 pick (or two).  It should be someone that you haven't seen on any published drafts (or only a few) that gets drafted in Round 1.  

For me, I'd go with Tyler Johnson, Minnesota.  I could see a team like NO, Balt, Tenn, or KC pairing him with their other stud WR(s) to create mismatches.  This guy gets open and is a redzone/TD magnet in a conference (Big 10) with a lot of good CB play.  If not Johnson, then WR Edwards from South Carolina.  A seemingly do-it-all WR who would be a consensus 1st round pick if not for injuries, IMO.  

Sounds like Ezra Cleveland will be going in the 1st. Michael Pittman feels like a solid bet to as well. Jacob Eason? Austin Jackson? CEH?

Frankly not sure how *crazy* any of these are (they're certainly less crazy than Hurts or Tyler Johnson).

Don't know which one, but my *crazy* guess will be an edge guy that no one expects. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, glazeduck said:

Don't know which one, but my *crazy* guess will be an edge guy that no one expects. 

Only got a couple of pass rushing takes that come to mind so here goes:

Jonathan Greenard goes in the 20's. K'Lavon Chaisson makes it to round two. That is purely wishful thinking on my part given how I love/dislike the players.

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

to NE??

Miami at 26 if they don't get their QB early.

Tennessee at 29.

Or Jacksonville, if they complete a Yannick trade and/or decide to trade into the back of the first round.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, glazeduck said:

Sounds like Ezra Cleveland will be going in the 1st. Michael Pittman feels like a solid bet to as well. Jacob Eason? Austin Jackson? CEH?

Frankly not sure how *crazy* any of these are (they're certainly less crazy than Hurts or Tyler Johnson).

There certainly does always seem to be some edge guy that wows some stupid team and goes way too high. Vernon Gholston, Aaron Maybin, Dion Jordan come to mind.

12 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Miami at 26 if they don't get their QB early.

Tennessee at 29.

Or Jacksonville, if they complete a Yannick trade and/or decide to trade into the back of the first round.

Miami not taking a QB top 5 and then spending a first round pick on Jalen Hurst is an absolute dream scenario for the Bills. 

17 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I don't know if Tyler Biadasz applies as a surprise 1st round but that's a grown man. Wouldn't shock me if there's an OL coach out there somewhere begging for him.

He'd be a surprise to me. He was horrific in 2019. He is late day 3 based on this year. I expect late day 2 simply on someone thinking they can get 2018 back

31 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Only got a couple of pass rushing takes that come to mind so here goes:

Jonathan Greenard goes in the 20's. K'Lavon Chaisson makes it to round two. That is purely wishful thinking on my part given how I love/dislike the players.

Muh boy Greenard!

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

This happens almost every year.  Someone that most people have a day 2 or 3 grade on them ends up getting picked in Round 1.  So, who is your surprise round 1 pick (or two).  It should be someone that you haven't seen on any published drafts (or only a few) that gets drafted in Round 1.  

For me, I'd go with Tyler Johnson, Minnesota.  I could see a team like NO, Balt, Tenn, or KC pairing him with their other stud WR(s) to create mismatches.  This guy gets open and is a redzone/TD magnet in a conference (Big 10) with a lot of good CB play.  If not Johnson, then WR Edwards from South Carolina.  A seemingly do-it-all WR who would be a consensus 1st round pick if not for injuries, IMO.  

I would be very happy taking Tyler Johnson or Bryan Edwards with our first pick.  I would trade up for Johnson.  Had a huge year at Minnesota.  And is obviously used to playing the cold.  If we do not take a WR in the 2nd round, and if Donavan Peoples Jones is there in the 3rd, we need to be all over him.  Is underrated and has as much up side as any player coming out this year.  Heck I would be happy taking him in the second round.  But we could probably trade back a bit,  get a little extra candy for later on and still get my boy DPJ.  

Michael Pittman is the one that I actually have in my mock that would count as a surprise.

The others that are mildly surprising but wouldn't be very shocking IMO are:

• Ross Blacklock
  • Cesar Ruiz
  • Zack Baun

Clyde Edwards-Helaire is a possibility as well but I don't have any RBs in my mock.

Edited by DCOrange