Changing the Buffalo Draft Goals

BillsVet

For the past 15+ years Buffalo entered each draft needing starters from 1 or more of their first picks.  That mentality was typically borne of finishing among the bottom 10-15 teams and holding a high pick.  Throw in multiple regimes with new coaches that installed new systems which necessitated jettisoning the previous regime's players.  Those players were usually replaced with draft picks and the cycle began all over again.    

Those drafts may have been more interesting, but their rebuilds never quite got to the point this one has.  The old adage around here was something about the off-season being the highlight of the year.  The draft was certainly the high point of the off-season for many years.   

I say all this because this is the first draft in decades Buffalo will not require out of box starters. It's a sign this rebuild has advanced in a way McBeane's predecessors never reached and has not stagnated in mediocrity. 

That's not to say there aren't areas which could be improved (WR depth, RB2, DE depth, and CB depth).  It's just that the focus now is not on the off-season, but winning in the regular season. 

Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 22
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This and the available backfills still in free agency, is exactly why a guy like Chase Claypool makes so much sense. We're already deep and balanced. 

Go get a guy who can fill a small niche initially, but whom you can develop into a monster in a year or two. My draft would be all high-ceiling guys because we have the ability to do that for once.

• Like (+1) 3

Yeah for the first time in a long time I haven´t spend countless ours watching highlights or full games of prospects that could be selected by the bills. This time it could be anyone, we really don´t "Need" certain player, we can up gread some position but we are truly in place to draft BPA.

I’m glad you said this @BillsVet  Since this leadership team came it felt different. That’s what made me shake my head after every loss and some were calling for heads to roll. Boggled my mind. 

Righting a ship as big as an NFL franchise takes time and expertise. I recognize we all want it now but we are getting there...and the ride is fun!!!! ? 

50 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

This and the available backfills still in free agency, is exactly why a guy like Chase Claypool makes so much sense. We're already deep and balanced. 

Go get a guy who can fill a small niche initially, but whom you can develop into a monster in a year or two. My draft would be all high-ceiling guys because we have the ability to do that for once.

My post has nothing to do with advocating for individual prospects here.  This is a discussion on an overall rebuild strategy that previous leadership groups never quite achieved.

That said, I'm confident McBeane understand WR depth is crucial to develop for down the road.  The bigger picture is they're finally in a position to select players without the need for them to start and/or play big minutes right away.  That opens the draft up because so often we've seen Buffalo take guys who were more pro-ready but may not have had as much talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

My post has nothing to do with advocating for individual prospects here.  This is a discussion on an overall rebuild strategy that previous leadership groups never quite achieved.

That said, I'm confident McBeane understand WR depth is crucial to develop for down the road.  The bigger picture is they're finally in a position to select players without the need for them to start and/or play big minutes right away.  That opens the draft up because so often we've seen Buffalo take guys who were more pro-ready but may not have had as much talent. 

I offered up one example of the type of player I'm wanting -- in agreement with you. Relax.

I expect the first three picks (round 2 through 4) to be players that they can see starting in the future (one or two year out), but right now they will be role players (such as EDGE Rush rotation,  #2 RB, #4 WR, Nickel/Dime coverage, hybrid SS/LB). 

Rounds 5 through 7 are players that have an upside but more developmental or special teams. 

Remember the glory years 90's teams.  Marv used to say it was a sign of roster weakness to have to start a rookie.  Unless the rookie is a special player, or you get in a pinch from the salary cap, he is correct. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I’m glad you said this @BillsVet  Since this leadership team came it felt different. That’s what made me shake my head after every loss and some were calling for heads to roll. Boggled my mind. 

Righting a ship as big as an NFL franchise takes time and expertise. I recognize we all want it now but we are getting there...and the ride is fun!!!! ? 

It's somewhat satisfying and refreshing to see an "old guard" poster such as @BillsVet -- who has been one of those critics you cite -- recognize that whether they got there in the way he would have done it or not, the Bills have established themselves as one of the stronger franchises in the league.  It's a good thread.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, eball said:

It's somewhat satisfying and refreshing to see an "old guard" poster such as @BillsVet -- who has been one of those critics you cite -- recognize that whether they got there in the way he would have done it or not, the Bills have established themselves as one of the stronger franchises in the league.  It's a good thread.

Yeah, I don’t keep track of what people say from post to post. I take what they say in each individual post. Probably makes me a little different.

Thanks for pointing that out, though. It’s a good sign that most of us are recognizing the good that’s coming!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, glazeduck said:

I offered up one example of the type of player I'm wanting -- in agreement with you. Relax.

Yup, 

Edited by Don Otreply

I feel with the shortened offseason upon us, the Bills did well to get the Vet WR they needed to be the #1, even if I’m not as sold on him as a true 1 as everyone else. 

RB is the quickest position to adapt, I expect one in round 2-4 probably 2 or 3.

A Big WR who can handle RZ duties initially and hopefully demand snaps at the backend of the rotation by mid year would be a nice pick, Claypool, Mims Etc fit the mold. I like Claypool as a project, too much size and speed to be handled if used correctly, I see him more as an H Back, but his speed is killer.  Maybe a Jimmy Graham type.  Not sure if his real value, but 2-3rd sounds right.

CB could represent value and definitely could see one in the 2nd.   With Tre’s deal coming up, I could see this as a real contender.  Hear me out, if Allen busts, you need a new QB, you can franchise Tre and either work on a deal or trade him, likely with a 1st round pick as compensation.  If you need a QB, you are rebuilding, and you probably need picks to get up in the draft because the rest of this team is too good to lose enough to get to the top of the draft.  So you trade Tre, get the picks, don’t pay 16M plus for a CB on a rebuilding team.  Also, if Allen proves himself, you are paying 30+M a year for a QB, can you pay your CB 16+M a year too? Is it worth it in this D?  Look back at Norman in his prime, the answer might lie there.

S is not a pressing thing, but depth is poor and Hyde is almost 30.. I love him, but have a feeling they won’t re-up his deal. 

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

For the past 15+ years Buffalo entered each draft needing starters from 1 or more of their first picks.  That mentality was typically borne of finishing among the bottom 10-15 teams and holding a high pick.  Throw in multiple regimes with new coaches that installed new systems which necessitated jettisoning the previous regime's players.  Those players were usually replaced with draft picks and the cycle began all over again.    

Those drafts may have been more interesting, but their rebuilds never quite got to the point this one has.  The old adage around here was something about the off-season being the highlight of the year.  The draft was certainly the high point of the off-season for many years.   

I say all this because this is the first draft in decades Buffalo will not require out of box starters. It's a sign this rebuild has advanced in a way McBeane's predecessors never reached and has not stagnated in mediocrity. 

That's not to say there aren't areas which could be improved (WR depth, RB2, DE depth, and CB depth).  It's just that the focus now is not on the off-season, but winning in the regular season. 

Go Bills.

I will just add to this excellent post by mentioning that not requiring immediate starters does more than just fill rotational pieces. It can allow the Bills to take a flier on some prospects who are high risk high reward. For example, a Jeffrey Simmons or a Myles Jack with an injury history. 

While they will be priced out of Mekhi Becton, Ross Blacklock type guys, prospects like  Laviska Shenault, Bryce Hall, Antoine WInfield, Zack Moss, Curtis Weaver   all might go boom or bust and Bills are likely considering taking a flier on some of em.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

We certainly don't need any starters from this draft. This is nice. However, there are some starters that I would like draftees to be able to supplant this year.

Namely, I'd like a CB2, edge rusher, and interior O-line to come from this draft.

3 hours ago, glazeduck said:

This sounds too much like why it was imperative that we draft James Hardy

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I have to disagree then.  They just pseudo drafted by far the biggest need in WR1.

And odds are they will fill the smaller needs of grooming DE, grooming WR, and RB in 3 of their next 4 picks.

Actually, I would say they’re drafting more for specific need now than before.   

Great post. I was planning to post something just like this.

Specifically, as we move forward, I expect the Bills to draft with the future and the salary cap in mind. So for instance, they might draft a safety even though they have two good ones. Why? Because they can’t pay everyone and they have to plan for the future. 

I expect them them to take a WR this year. They may not immediately have a “need” for one, but Brown and Beasley are pushing 30, and with Diggs (who may need a contract renegotiation in years to come) on board, they’ve got to plan for the future.

This is how good, smart, well built and we’ll managed teams draft.

Edited by Logic

I feel we’re set at every starting position except RB. Not because Motor isn’t capable of starting.  He is. But because I view us having 2 starting caliber RBs under this regime.  I think it will always be a time share with McD as coach.  It’ll keep the backs fresh, healthy and provides depth in case one gets hurt.  

we need another RB.   Sure, we can sign Hyde or Lamar Miller, but there’s also a chance they fail to secure the proper backup and we end up with Gore or Tolbert.  I really hope we draft a talented back in the draft.

Swift, Taylor, Clyde, Dobbins or Akers in rd 2

Moss, McFarland, Gibson, Evans, Dillon, Vaughn, Benjamin later.  Maybe Calais or Killens late.

Edited by NewEra
  • Awesome! (+1) 1