What was the best season in NFL history?

major

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m going with 2007. The Patriots roll through the year undefeated and then lose the Super Bowl in dramatic fashion. 

I'm going with the inaugural 1920 season - Buffalo's first (debated) championship. 

The Buffalo Americans finished 9-1-1.  They took the name "All Americans" because so many players were in fact college All Americans.  The uber talented squad steamrolled their hapless opponents.  They won each of their first four games by 20 points or more - a record not equaled until the 2007 Pats.  They outscored their first seven opponents by 218 points - a record that still stands. 

The Akron Pros finished that season with a 8-3 record and had tied Buffalo when the two teams went  head to head.  If a tie counts as a half-win/half-loss - which is how many saw it - the teams were dead even atop the standings.   Both teams ended the season by celebrating their co-championship.  

Only at a later NFL meeting was the championship taken from Buffalo and awarded solely to Akron.  In 1921, Buffalo would again have the NFL championship stolen from them at a NFL meeting after the conclusion of the season in the so-called "Staley Swindle."

Edited by hondo in seattle

9 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Came here to post 2020-2021 season only to be massively disappointed that I was beat to the punch. 

With the storylines like the changing of the guard at QB, all the young QBs etc, this really would Ben the best season ever if it was played with fans 

I'm not sure it was the best football year, but the Super Bowl in 1977 was my happiest non-Bills pro football moment in time.

I am not a bettor but this was one of 2 sporting events in my life that I was absolutely sure of the outcome before the game. I was an AFC Fan and had seen lots of Raider games. They were playing the famous, feared  "Purple People Eaters,"  the Minnesota Vikings. I could see that despite weight listings (which I still do not trust to this day), the Raiders were twice the size of the Vikes and had perhaps the best OL of all time. I actually bet $250 on the game and I really wonder how much that would be in today's dollars. They destroyed Minnesota.

My parents almost never went anywhere, ever but they were away for the weekend. I threw a party for 30 or so guys and girls. What a freaking night!!! :) :) :) 

PS: Sorry folks but the only other time I was this sure was the title game between Alabama/Notre Dame (2012?). Looking back, it was almost for the exact same reasons.

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

1975. The AFC was ridiculously strong, and I'm an AFC guy so...........The Bills had an extremely fun team to watch as well, what an offensive squad, #1 in scoring and total offense. The games they had with the Colts (Bert Jones) were shootouts for the ages. The victory in Pittsburgh against the Steel Curtaiin with OJ running for well over 200 yards was a classic. The Steelers were as good a team as there's every been. And the Raiders, Oilers, Bengals, Dolphins, Cowboys, Vikings, Cardinals, Rams and Redskins all had outstanding teams as well. Great season for those who love watching a great running back, defenses, and sprinkled with big play passing games.

I remember this Colts game was a killer.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197511090buf.htm

• Like (+1) 4

41 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I'm not sure it was the best football year, but the Super Bowl in 1977 was my happiest non-Bills pro football moment in time.

I am not a bettor but this was one of 2 sporting events in my life that I was absolutely sure of the outcome before the game. I was an AFC Fan and had seen lots of Raider games. They were playing the famous, feared  "Purple People Eaters,"  the Minnesota Vikings. I could see that despite weight listings (which I still do not trust to this day), the Raiders were twice the size of the Vikes and had perhaps the best OL of all time. I actually bet $250 on the game and I really wonder how much that would be in today's dollars. They destroyed Minnesota.

My parents almost never went anywhere, ever but they were away for the weekend. I threw a party for 30 or so guys and girls. What a freaking night!!! :) :) :) 

PS: Sorry folks but the only other time I was this sure was the title game between Alabama/Notre Dame (2012?). Looking back, it was almost for the exact same reasons.

$1,064.83

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+much+was+$250+in+1977+worth+today&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Very likely ‘70. Try though they did, the NFL couldn’t force the AFL to fold. They hid college all stars in hotel rooms, pilfered AFL players (Pete Gogalak) and expanded into new cities the AFL had early markets on (Dallas,Minnesota). NBC contract with the AFL was too strong and they were throwing unheard of $$ at players to join up. Vince’s 3 straight titles (only team ever) finished with winning the 1st 2 SBs, but brash Broadway Joe shook up the world 1/12/69. Hank Stram’s Chiefs brought the ‘junior league’ even as the 2 Leagues officially merged the following season. ‘70 brought old NFL teams to the newly created AFC in Cleveland, Pittsburgh & Baltimore along with the advent of prime time television, introducing MNF to the nation.  Hell, we played THE DALLAS COWBOYS at the Rockpile that season! Who’da thunk?? 

While that 1st season ended with the error-filled “Blunder Bowl” (Dal v Balt), it set the stage for the Miami, Pittsburgh, Oakland & Dallas Super ‘70’s.

A great time to be alive!

Agree.  1970 and the entire decade for that matter. 

That was a great time for the NFL.  Add in the start of Monday Night Football.  Before ESPN and 24 hour news and sports, watching the halftime highlights with Howard Cosell was your big chance to see great players and great plays from every game. 

Prior to the merger the NFL games always seemed a bit stodgy, even if they had more star players.    The AFL had an exciting and creative brand of football, more so than the NFL.  They mined for players everywhere and they made opportunities for black players that were not there prior.  Combining the two leagues made one great league. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m going with 2007. The Patriots roll through the year undefeated and then lose the Super Bowl in dramatic fashion. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nesn.com/2012/01/tom-bradys-pretty-boy-chuckle-cost-patriots-perfect-season-according-to-justin-tuck-osi-umenyiora/amp/

Wrong, Tom, you're only going to score 13.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

That game, MNF loss to the lowly Giants and a blown fourth quarter lead vs. the Fish killed that season.  All at home.

Miami was the Pat Toomay game, ***** Jerry Bergman and ***** Don Shula.

Classic Bills move:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Toomay

"On July 19, 1975, after playing out his option in Dallas, Toomay was a free agent and signed with the Buffalo Bills.[5] Dallas received a second round draft choice in 1977,[5] that was eventually used in a deal package to draft running back Tony Dorsett.

Toomay was the Bills' defensive MVP in 1975, but was involved in different controversial official calls, including being called for elbowing head lineman Jerry Bergman, which contributed to a loss against the Miami Dolphins (31–21), that ended Buffalo's playoff chances.

At the end of the year, he was left unprotected for the 1976 NFL expansion draft. Through the years, there has been speculation that the publishing of his insider view in the book The Crunch, was the main reason behind this decision. In a Sports Illustrated "Where Are They Now?" article in 2014 about the winless 1976 Bucs, Toomay said of his book that it was "in retrospect, the kind of book you write AFTER your career is over, not while you're still playing.":doh:

• Haha (+1) 1

Personally I liked 2002. Almost the whole nfl was 7-9, 8-8 9-7 and the raiders/bucs and maybe the titans had 10-12 wins. It was a tight race for like 13 teams up to week 17. The patriots missed the playoffs the year after winning their first Super Bowl.

That postseason was also the Browns/Steelers comeback game. The jets blew out the colts 41-0. Michael Vick surprised everyone and beat the packers in lambeau. The 49ers beat the giants and TO had almost a career day and the game came down to a botched field goal.

the divisional round came and the eagles beat the falcons easily. The bucaneers destroyed the 49ers so badly I think I remember the cannons they fired in Raymond James stopped working because they scored so much. The Steelers lost a close game to the titans in overtime I believe. The titans kicked a field goal in ot to win and the fireworks went off for the victory but bill cowher called a time out. Del Grecco then made the kick again. The raiders toasted the jets. Tim brown, jerry rice and jerry porter were all a freakishly good trio.

Then conference championship round came around. the bucs beat the eagles badly in the 2nd half. The first half of the game you could tell the eagles were in a “here we go again” state. They were perennial championship losers. In the afc the raiders beat the titans handily. 

The 2002 Super Bowl between the buccaneers and raiders was the last super bowl until 2019 that did not include one of Tom Brady, Ben roethlisbeger Or Peyton Manning.

Edited by Bills!Win!

8 hours ago, fresh716 said:

There's only been one perfect season. Hard to argue against it.

- The 1972 Dolphins, the NFL's only undefeated Super Bowl Champ, faced the second easiest regular season schedule on their way to the playoffs (.357).  They faced only two teams who ended over .500 and nine teams who ended under .500.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Even though watching the rollercoaster season was stressful, no season has felt as relieving & emotionally gratifying as the 2017 season when we broke the playoff drought.

I know there's much better seasons in general out there, but personally that was the most enjoyable.