What was the best season in NFL history?

major

With the prospect of no season, or a delayed season this year, it got me thinking: “what is the best season in NFL history?”. We all have our favorite Bills seasons; however, which one was the best season in the nfl? I’m torn between the 1970 season when the afl and nfl teams truly merged and the 1985 season. I feel it was the 1985 season because that’s when the nfl went mainstream (in numerous ways). Your turn? What was the best season in nfl history?

• Like (+1) 1

Very likely ‘70. Try though they did, the NFL couldn’t force the AFL to fold. They hid college all stars in hotel rooms, pilfered AFL players (Pete Gogalak) and expanded into new cities the AFL had early markets on (Dallas,Minnesota). NBC contract with the AFL was too strong and they were throwing unheard of $$ at players to join up. Vince’s 3 straight titles (only team ever) finished with winning the 1st 2 SBs, but brash Broadway Joe shook up the world 1/12/69. Hank Stram’s Chiefs brought the ‘junior league’ even as the 2 Leagues officially merged the following season. ‘70 brought old NFL teams to the newly created AFC in Cleveland, Pittsburgh & Baltimore along with the advent of prime time television, introducing MNF to the nation.  Hell, we played THE DALLAS COWBOYS at the Rockpile that season! Who’da thunk?? 

While that 1st season ended with the error-filled “Blunder Bowl” (Dal v Balt), it set the stage for the Miami, Pittsburgh, Oakland & Dallas Super ‘70’s.

A great time to be alive!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Has to be some season before the Patriots dynasty.

The late 80's and early 90's seem like a sweet spot (not just because the Bills were good). Powerhouse offenses and defenses that could still (mostly) hit. You've got some of the greatest QB's ever in that timeframe. Montana, Young, Elway, Marino, Kelly, Moon, Favre.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, major said:

With the prospect of no season, or a delayed season this year, it got me thinking: “what is the best season in NFL history?”. We all have our favorite Bills seasons; however, which one was the best season in the nfl? I’m torn between the 1970 season when the afl and nfl teams truly merged and the 1985 season. I feel it was the 1985 season because that’s when the nfl went mainstream (in numerous ways). Your turn? What was the best season in nfl history?

1985 really brought the NFL to life when it came to mainstream.

The Bears had the team and the personalities that catapulted the NFL to being the top sports league in the USA.

And the Monday Night Bears-Dolphins game was one of the most anticipated games in NFL history and I still think it's the highest rated MNG of all time.

• Like (+1) 1

When we win the Superbowl

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

1985 really brought the NFL to life when it came to mainstream.

The Bears had the team and the personalities that catapulted the NFL to being the top sports league in the USA.

And the Monday Night Bears-Dolphins game was one of the most anticipated games in NFL history and I still think it's the highest rated MNG of all time.

that was a great year, watching the bears murder the QB was a thing of beauty.

If the question is historically, then 1970 (even though before my time) since the league and the country thought the AFC was weak compared to the NFC, and the Jets was a fluke.  Then KC won the second time which then pushed the AFC winning most of the 1970’s Super Bowls.  Between KC, to the Colts, Miami, Raiders and Steelers was a great decade for this conference.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m going with 2007. The Patriots roll through the year undefeated and then lose the Super Bowl in dramatic fashion. 

I was just about to opine the same.  The dramatic ending did it for me; not to mention, Tom Petty kicked ass in the halftime show.

I just learned that the Eagles were the primary choice for this halftime, but they turned it down.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

I just learned that the Eagles were the primary choice for this halftime, but they turned it down.

Well if they couldn't get there based upon football skills, why would we want them entertaining us in the halftime show?  Besides, no team could match the Bears' Super Bowl Shuffle.

• Haha (+1) 2

1975. The AFC was ridiculously strong, and I'm an AFC guy so...........The Bills had an extremely fun team to watch as well, what an offensive squad, #1 in scoring and total offense. The games they had with the Colts (Bert Jones) were shootouts for the ages. The victory in Pittsburgh against the Steel Curtaiin with OJ running for well over 200 yards was a classic. The Steelers were as good a team as there's every been. And the Raiders, Oilers, Bengals, Dolphins, Cowboys, Vikings, Cardinals, Rams and Redskins all had outstanding teams as well. Great season for those who love watching a great running back, defenses, and sprinkled with big play passing games.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 3