Gronkowski dead Cap: Pat's Fail

I think Baun will go somewhere between pick 20 and Buffalo at #54.  New England has pick 23, I believe.  New England has no second round pick.  It would be pricey for them to jump ahead of Buffalo in round 2.

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Branch is not great on his own.  Brady made him good

I know.  He's just the only other WR that I could even come close to mentioning.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

There is no way Dalton is mentoring Burrow. None. He is either there because with no camp to bring Burrow along they decide to sit him and Dalton plays. Or Dalton moves on. He ain't sitting there as a backup and mentor when there are starting jobs that would be open to him. And there is no way a team as cheap as the Bengals are paying a guy $16m to sit as a backup either.  

The Pats can re-do some deals and kick the can if they want to. This isn't a long term cap health issue. It is a one year crunch caused partly by a load of dead money (nearly $30m to guys not on the team). There are some options. I think they will make some moves once they see how the draft shakes out. 

For $17M, I don't think Dalton will have a problem sitting for a year and mentoring Burrow.  And outside of the Cheaters, who don't have the cap room, he can't be traded there unless/until they give Thuney a long-term extension or (unlikely) trade or release him.

6 hours ago, Doc said:

I know.  He's just the only other WR that I could even come close to mentioning.

For $17M, I don't think Dalton will have a problem sitting for a year and mentoring Burrow.  And outside of the Cheaters, who don't have the cap room, he can't be traded there unless/until they give Thuney a long-term extension or (unlikely) trade or release him.

Just doesn't happen. How many occasions can you think of when someone who has been an established starter for a franchise is replaced by a draft pick and stays on as a backup and mentor? If they are going to start Dalton.... at least for a bit.... and sit Burrow that is different. But if they intend to start Burrow day 1 I just cannot see it.  

I believe the evil empire is finally at the end.

Not just because of Brady but because so many guys want out of there. i think Billy Boy is going to have a hard time building his team. Gronk retires and basically says all that winning was not enough to overcome the misery of their process and then he comes back to play with Tom??

Patriots are done.

13 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Trading Joe Thuney might be something they may have to do.

yes yes :devil: , right to us ?

16 hours ago, Doc said:

W.  As for Thuney, if they had Scarnecchia still, they could probably replace him.

By all accounts, just as important to their success as any player not named Brady..huge loss for them , especially in a shortened offseason

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Just doesn't happen. How many occasions can you think of when someone who has been an established starter for a franchise is replaced by a draft pick and stays on as a backup and mentor? If they are going to start Dalton.... at least for a bit.... and sit Burrow that is different. But if they intend to start Burrow day 1 I just cannot see it.  

They may start Dalton and let Burrow sit and learn.  Wouldn't be a bad idea to see how the OL holds up before putting the prized rookie behind it.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

They may start Dalton and let Burrow sit and learn.  Wouldn't be a bad idea to see how the OL holds up before putting the prized rookie behind it.

If they are going to start Dalton I can see it. That is a different story. But if they are going to declare Burrow the starter then Dalton will be gone. Personally I think the latter is more likely but with the uncertainty over camp, who knows?

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If they are going to start Dalton I can see it. That is a different story. But if they are going to declare Burrow the starter then Dalton will be gone. Personally I think the latter is more likely but with the uncertainty over camp, who knows?

It's a little different but he'd still be mentoring Burrow.  By selected Burrow, they're telling Dalton his time in Cincy is coming to a close.  Let him know he will at least start the season and to mentor Burrow, while collecting $17M.  Then next year become an UFA.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

It's a little different but he'd still be mentoring Burrow.  By selected Burrow, they're telling Dalton his time in Cincy is coming to a close.  Let him know he will at least start the season and to mentor Burrow, while collecting $17M.  Then next year become an UFA.

Yes that I can see. But he isn't staying there as a backup just to be a good egg and mentor the guy who has taken his job is my point. It is different if he is starting. 

My money though remains on Dalton being a Patriot by September. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes that I can see. But he isn't staying there as a backup just to be a good egg and mentor the guy who has taken his job is my point. It is different if he is starting. 

My money though remains on Dalton being a Patriot by September. 

Anything's possible but he might have little choice.  I doubt anyone is clamoring for Dalton to be their starter, especially the Cheaters.   I mean, why trade for him to be a placeholder for a year and possibly push them out of the range to get a top QB next year?  Either Stidham has it, in which case they found their QB, or he doesn't and they draft high next year.

51 minutes ago, Doc said:

Anything's possible but he might have little choice.  I doubt anyone is clamoring for Dalton to be their starter, especially the Cheaters.   I mean, why trade for him to be a placeholder for a year and possibly push them out of the range to get a top QB next year?  Either Stidham has it, in which case they found their QB, or he doesn't and they draft high next year.

Depends on camp/preseason.  It's going to be condensed, and they'll probably know then whether they think he can win with stidham. 

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Depends on camp/preseason.  It's going to be condensed, and they'll probably know then whether they think he can win with stidham. 

Yup.  And adding Dalton that late won't help them much.

18 hours ago, aristocrat said:

i'd honestly be worried about the pats if they got dalton. he'd make them a decent team at least.

They can’t afford a bag of peanuts right now. They have a lot of decisions to make in order to clear cap. Even then, not many want to go to the Pats dumpster fire.

The Bungles might have changed their thinking regarding Dalton, due to the current circumstances.

Burrow may simply not be able to be got ready to start, in which case Dalton does, and is being paid as such.

If Dalton doesn't see his money change, or get cut, I don't see the problem with him starting for the Bungles, until Burrow becomes ready.

I do think he would probably refuse any re-structure, unless he gets the same, but it eases the Bungles cap situation down the line.

6 minutes ago, Buddo said:

The Bungles might have changed their thinking regarding Dalton, due to the current circumstances.

Burrow may simply not be able to be got ready to start, in which case Dalton does, and is being paid as such.

If Dalton doesn't see his money change, or get cut, I don't see the problem with him starting for the Bungles, until Burrow becomes ready.

I do think he would probably refuse any re-structure, unless he gets the same, but it eases the Bungles cap situation down the line.

Unless a team is offering a 1st rounder, I'd hold onto him.