Gronkowski dead Cap: Pat's Fail

21 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

they did years ago but not the last few.  

Yup and his play has fallen off as a result. 

Personally I think they keep him around as insurance and as a mentor for Burrow.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Personally I think they keep him around as insurance and as a mentor for Burrow.

that's usually what happens. team around you sucks you tend to do a bit worse.  

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

that's usually what happens. team around you sucks you tend to do a bit worse.  

And I'm saying he'll be playing with worse players than he had with the Bengals.

50 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

that's why i mentioned them trading dalton for thuney. that wouldn't be a terrible deal as they'd at least upgrade their line.

That would have to go down mid-draft i would think.  They'd want to trade for a specific pick for a specific player.  

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

And I'm saying he'll be playing with worse players than he had with the Bengals.

I mean - michel/white vs. mixon/bernard.  The oline is a maaaassive upgrade.  WR's of Harry, Edelman, maybe sanu vs. Boyd and... ross?  Plus McDaniels as OC, and a top defense.  He has to do a lot less.  

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

that's wrong. and what if the pats add a wr in this loaded draft?  the pats are much better coached all over. dalton won't have to do much more than game manage to win. 

32 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

that's wrong. and what if the pats add a wr in this loaded draft?  the pats are much better coached all over. dalton won't have to do much more than game manage to win. 

The Cheaters don't have a lot of talent on offense, especially suited for Dalton and not Brady, and a rookie WR isn't a sure thing.  Never mind that Belicheat has been incredibly poor at drafting WRs.  And all of this assumes the Bengals would trade Dalton for Thuney and want to pay Thuney $15M/year. 

Frankly I don't see Belicheat as interested in Dalton.  I think he'd rather roll with Stidham.

Edited by Doc

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Cheaters don't have a lot of talent on offense, especially suited for Dalton and not Brady, and a rookie WR isn't a sure thing.  Never mind that Belicheat has been incredibly poor at drafting WRs.  And all of this assumes the Bengals would trade Dalton for Thuney and want to pay Thuney $15M/year. 

he does seem to draft def players better kinda like our gm.the bengals do spend to the cap or close so it's not a crazy idea. it's all speculation

Just now, aristocrat said:

he does seem to draft def players better kinda like our gm.the bengals do spend to the cap or close so it's not a crazy idea. it's all speculation

Yup.  That's why I was glad the Bills traded for Diggs rather than trying to draft a WR.  But Belicheat has been terrible at it.  The only drafted WRs of note over his 20 years in Cheaterland are Deion Branch and Edelman.

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

this was rumored a few days ago. they have to do that. i wonder if the bengals would trade them dalton for him?

Facing Andy Dalton twice a year.  That would be great news for us.  Bad news for the Steelers and Ravens

3 hours ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

How can the New England Patriot's recover from Gronkowski's dead cap? I believe it is $10 Million. They should be $8 Million under the cap;https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/

They will have to cut 1-2 Vet's and only CB J. Johnson is worth cutting... Restructure... and no free agents. They have to draft for need (LBs/OLine/TE/DT). I hope other teams steal everyone!

I see them trying to draft Baun or Kmet in round 2. I would love to take either one before they do.

They have a 2nd round pick?

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Trading Joe Thuney might be something they may have to do.

Yeah they don’t have the $14M to resign him play up their draft picks.  The only move would be to release/trade some other vets.

Also this could be part of the reason why they haven’t made a move at QB

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yup.  That's why I was glad the Bills traded for Diggs rather than trying to draft a WR.  But Belicheat has been terrible at it.  The only drafted WRs of note over his 20 years in Cheaterland are Deion Branch and Edelman.

Branch is not great on his own.  Brady made him good

3 hours ago, Doc said:

There is no way Dalton is mentoring Burrow. None. He is either there because with no camp to bring Burrow along they decide to sit him and Dalton plays. Or Dalton moves on. He ain't sitting there as a backup and mentor when there are starting jobs that would be open to him. And there is no way a team as cheap as the Bengals are paying a guy $16m to sit as a backup either.  

52 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Yeah they don’t have the $14M to resign him play up their draft picks.  The only move would be to release/trade some other vets.

The Pats can re-do some deals and kick the can if they want to. This isn't a long term cap health issue. It is a one year crunch caused partly by a load of dead money (nearly $30m to guys not on the team). There are some options. I think they will make some moves once they see how the draft shakes out. 

57 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Branch was a solid receiver with the Seahawks, he wasn't a JAG but any means.

This is something I brought up in another thread, pre-trade. The $10m DID hit their books albeit for only a second. They knew this was a possibility thus had a plan to get rid of it. 

Between TB’s dead cap hit and if Gronk came out of retirement, it was untenable. Thus the immediate trade. Has been discussed ad nauseum on sports radio. 

Both Gronk and TB had their way as there was no other way for the Pats*** financially. 

5 hours ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

How can the New England Patriot's recover from Gronkowski's dead cap? I believe it is $10 Million. They should be $8 Million under the cap;https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/

They will have to cut 1-2 Vet's and only CB J. Johnson is worth cutting... Restructure... and no free agents. They have to draft for need (LBs/OLine/TE/DT). I hope other teams steal everyone!

I see them trying to draft Baun or Kmet in round 2. I would love to take either one before they do.

there isn’t any dead cap on Gronk I don’t believe. He retired last year so the dead cap would have been in 2019