Are Reporters Sharing Fake Draft News as a Smokescreen For Teams?

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Close. It was more the Bills not wanting to be jumped by a team who loved Ed. It’s what the Dolphins want too. They don’t want competition for the trade up for a QB, so they say they are taking a tackle.

Right, and that’s why I thought the whole practice of floating news which is likely untrue, can hurt a reporters credibility.  It becomes more entertainment than news, when fans and NFL personnel can identify reports as BS. 

It’s makes you wonder what the point of this is, when people in the NFL especially can spot BS...the good ones at least 

1 minute ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

To be fair, Joe mentioned agents not teams.  Reminiscent of the music industry payola of the 1950s.

Thanks.... I missed that detail

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Oddly enough, it didn’t look like Williams was superior on the field.  But maybe that was the injury he suffered 

I agree (I think). But too many factors go into that to make it apples:apples. Health, environment, scheme, support system, age, etc.

Not hard to say that right now, Buffalo is a much better environment for a young defensive prospect to be than the Jets. I'd still take a Williams for Oliver trade straight across 7 days a week. 

Just now, Phil The Thrill said:

Right, and that’s why I thought the whole practice of floating news which is likely untrue, can hurt a reporters credibility.  It becomes more entertainment than news, when fans and NFL personnel can identify reports as BS. 

It’s makes you wonder what the point of this is, when people in the NFL especially can spot BS...the good ones at least 

No reporter has credibility this time of year. It’s more of an accepted practice than you think. No one will hold draft misinfo against a reporter with actual info in 6 months.

Ian may very well have been told the Dolphins are looking at tackles in that spot. He’s reporting what he was told. Him believing it is really besides the point.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

No reporter has credibility this time of year. It’s more of an accepted practice than you think. No one will hold draft misinfo against a reporter with actual info in 6 months.

Ian may very well have been told the Dolphins are looking at tackles in that spot. He’s reporting what he was told. Him believing it is really besides the point.

Yeah but reporters are told lots of things.  The good ones know when they are being played or lied to.  Hence the motto “If you mother tells you she loves you, check your sources.”

To me report things you know are likely not true is a gray area.  It’s less about journalism and more about entertainment, propaganda, and marketing.  

I love the draft.

I am beginning to love when the draft is over and these threads pass into oblivion. 

EDIT:  I believe psychologically people want to be ahead of the pack and, when presented with something that reflects a shred of truth, will seek to be the "first" with what they believe is a story.   

It's why conspiracy theories are so attractive IMHO. 

Of course reporters become, unwittingly or not, carriers of these reports.  Nothing that hasn't happened every year.

Edited by BillsVet

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I was about to use this quote! *****.

I use it at least once a week during the run up to the draft when the endless posts about media manipulation, smokescreens, and other subterfuge and chicanery take hold. 

• Like (+1) 1

Buddy Nix confirmed that he spread rumors around that Cordy Glenn is too slow to play tackle.

Cordy dropped and Buddy got him in the 2nd round.

It's called "Smoke Screen Season" for a reason. This has been proven dozens of times.

The Dolphins might be trading up for an OT or they may not, but Ian Rappaport's reporting means less than nothing. Nobody is telling the truth to him.

Can we kill this thread?

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I use it at least once a week during the run up to the draft when the endless posts about media manipulation, smokescreens, and other subterfuge and chicanery take hold. 

Teams should tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Nobody will believe a word of it. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

It’s laughable reading reports from “insiders” right now.  Teams aren’t telling these guys the truth.  People act like teams are calling these guys saying hey we are picking this player so get the word out 

You are exactly correct on this.  When you go back and look at the rhetoric flying around previous drafts and compare it to what actually happened, you can't help but be skeptical about all of the reporters.  Sportswriters are so desperate to generate clicks and readership that many of them will jump on a story without confirmation from a second source.  Teams love it because it keeps competitors guessing and they hope that creates an advantage for them during the draft.

26 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Buddy Nix confirmed that he spread rumors around that Cordy Glenn is too slow to play tackle.

Cordy dropped and Buddy got him in the 2nd round.

It's called "Smoke Screen Season" for a reason. This has been proven dozens of times.

The Dolphins might be trading up for an OT or they may not, but Ian Rappaport's reporting means less than nothing. Nobody is telling the truth to him.

Can we kill this thread?

Thank you for being so polite and contributing so much to this topic.  

41 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I love the draft.

I am beginning to love when the draft is over and these threads pass into oblivion. 

EDIT:  I believe psychologically people want to be ahead of the pack and, when presented with something that reflects a shred of truth, will seek to be the "first" with what they believe is a story.   

It's why conspiracy theories are so attractive IMHO. 

Of course reporters become, unwittingly or not, carriers of these reports.  Nothing that hasn't happened every year.

Thank you for being so polite and contributing so much to this topic.  

• 6 months later...

The big name guys who deliver almost all of the NFL breaking news absolutely  report stuff that is asked of them by teams and agents, and are rewarded for it with information.

That's how it works.

Now, are these reporters intentionally reporting false information?  I.E., information they know for a fact is not true, but they are reporting it anyway because asked to?  I doubt that.

I think they are probably smart enough not to inquire.  If the team/agent says it, they assume it's accurate and correct and report it.

If a reporter reports "false" information about the draft as a smokescreen benefitting a specific team, it's because the team chose to manipulate the reporter in that manner; it's not because the reporter knew the information was false and chose to report it anyway.  At least that is my guess.

Let's pretend for a moment that you are an NFL GM.

Would you pay a reporter to report a fake story and risk that they tell everyone you're lying?

Or, would you simply leak fake information to the reporter and pretend it's true?

The answer, clearly, is always the latter. Case closed.

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Let's pretend for a moment that you are an NFL GM.

Would you pay a reporter to report a fake story and risk that they tell everyone you're lying?

Or, would you simply leak fake information to the reporter and pretend it's true?

The answer, clearly, is always the latter. Case closed.

They don't *pay* the reporter to share fake news. The reporter *knows* that by playing this game, they're earning real scoops later. 

The reporter, being not an idiot, then goes off and phrases their scoop in such a way that it starts the conversation without overguaranteeing anything or connecting too many dots.

This 100% happens, I've been told as much by one of sports' most well-known reporters, personally.