Pre-Draft Roster Locks, Maybes and Open Spots

jwhit34

I think this is the list of roster locks:

QB: Allen, Barkley

RB/FB: Singletary, Demarco, T. Jones (ST)

WR: Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Roberts (ST)

TE: Knox, Kroft

OL: Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Feliciano, Ford, Nsekhe, 

K, Long Snapper: Hauschka, Ferguson

DL: Oliver, Star L., H. Phillips, Hughes, Jefferson, Butler

LB: Edmunds, Milano, Klein, Matakevich (ST)

DB: White, Norman, Wallace, T. Johnson, Poyer, Hyde

That's 35 locks, leaving 18. I think they use their first 4 draft picks for a RB, WR, DE/Edge and either DB or OL. The open spots and how they fill:

2 RBs: Draft 1 plus Yeldon is the most likely scenario, could still sign a vet or Fournette trade? 

2 WRs: Foster, McKenzie, D. Williams and they probably draft 1 so 4  vie for 2 spots

3 OL: D. Williams, Long, Bates, Boehm and a draft pick battle for 3 spots

2 TE: Sweeney, Smith and Croom battle for 2 spots

2-3 DL: Murphy is probably safe but if they draft 1 and D. Johnson takes next step maybe they go younger and cheaper

2 LBs: V. Joseph, C. Thompson are most likely but T. Dodson could be in mix

3-4 DBs: Safety is interesting, seem to like J. Johnson and keep bringing back Marlowe, Neal, Gaines would have inside track on CB spots but will also draft one so that's 5 for 4. 

1 P: One of the two current or who knows if they pick up a coleege guy

If this is accurate maybe 4 draft picks make the team (RB, WR, DL and CB) with an OL maybe the 5th. So that means Beane either as 2-3 picks for practice squad or has a couple of picks to play with to move around in draft. I can also see Beane trading some excess players, particularly OL, DL and CB, to get some picks next year. 

I’m not saying that these guys will get cut.. But it’s a bit early in the process to call Barkley, Dimarco, Taiwan Jones, Tyler Kroft, Ty Nsehke, Roberts, Haushka or Norman as locks. 

All have good chances of making the team, but they’re all also very easily terminable and not core pieces 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, elijah said:

I’m not saying that these guys will get cut.. But it’s a bit early in the process to call Barkley, Dimarco, Taiwan Jones, Tyler Kroft, Ty Nsehke, Roberts, Haushka or Norman as locks. 

All have good chances of making the team, but they’re all also very easily terminable and not core pieces 

Kroft isn't easily terminable. The revised deal they did with him makes him pretty much a lock I think and equally an almost certainty to be gone after this year. The voided the final year and moved guarantees to this year so he saves them $400,000 if cut but counts $5m dead money on the cap. 

I agree with the OP on tight end. It is Knox and Kroft then a battle for 1 or 2 remaining spots.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

IMHO a trade or two is very likely.  It is also not unusual that a couple of guys are lost to injuries before the season starts.  What I take away from all of these posts is that Buffalo is in really good shape going into the draft and there are good options in most of the position groups.  The fact that there is not a complete consensus on the roster locks means that there will be real competition at a number of positions.  It should also be readily apparent to all of us that Beane has done a tremendous job of building the roster without destroying the cap.  It is really nice to know that there is not a roster crisis that must be filled in the draft.  Beane will be able to draft to improve the depth and to fill future needs.  If one of the rookies beats out a starting veteran, then that is great too.  This is how traditionally good teams enter the draft.  We should all be pleased with this situation.

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

IMHO a trade or two is very likely.  It is also not unusual that a couple of guys are lost to injuries before the season starts.  What I take away from all of these posts is that Buffalo is in really good shape going into the draft and there are good options in most of the position groups.  The fact that there is not a complete consensus on the roster locks means that there will be real competition at a number of positions.  It should also be readily apparent to all of us that Beane has done a tremendous job of building the roster without destroying the cap.  It is really nice to know that there is not a roster crisis that must be filled in the draft.  Beane will be able to draft to improve the depth and to fill future needs.  If one of the rookies beats out a starting veteran, then that is great too.  This is how traditionally good teams enter the draft.  We should all be pleased with this situation.

I think we have a really solid roster. In some areas we need some youth or some depth but overall it is solid.  

What we lack is top flight stars. I'd argue at the moment that number is 2 - Stefon Diggs and Tre White. Teams that win Superbowls normally have between 4 and 6 and so as well as Josh we need Ed Oliver and Tremaine Edmunds and Devin Singletary and maybe even Dawson Knox (who are the ones I see as having that kind of potential) to keep developing. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think we have a really solid roster. In some areas we need some youth or some depth but overall it is solid.  

What we lack is top flight stars. I'd argue at the moment that number is 2 - Stefon Diggs and Tre White. Teams that win Superbowls normally have between 4 and 6 and so as well as Josh we need Ed Oliver and Tremaine Edmunds and Devin Singletary and maybe even Dawson Knox (who are the ones I see as having that kind of potential) to keep developing. 

Solid rosters don't win Super Bowls unless your QB plays at a very high level.  Hopefully Josh starts approaching that place.  Agree that some of our young talent needs to take the step.  I see high ceilings for Edmunds and Oliver.  Singletary is a solid player, but do you think he has the potential to have monster 1,400 plus seasons?   I don't really see that.  Thus the need for a high powered RB drafted early.  Knox could be special.  But needs to work on catching the ball.  And he needs to be incorporated into the game plan more w downfield passes.  (I would try and trade for OJ Howard w a late round pick)  Also don't sleep on Tommy Sweeney.  I think he has great upside.  And Yeldon is a solid NFL player.  Guy has a lot of tread left on the tires and needs to be given a chance to show what he can do.  Dimarco has no business being on an NFL roster at this point period.  Brings nothing.    

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Solid rosters don't win Super Bowls unless your QB plays at a very high level.  Hopefully Josh starts approaching that place.  Agree that some of our young talent needs to take the step.  I see high ceilings for Edmunds and Oliver.  Singletary is a solid player, but do you think he has the potential to have monster 1,400 plus seasons?   I don't really see that.  Thus the need for a high powered RB drafted early.  Knox could be special.  But needs to work on catching the ball.  And he needs to be incorporated into the game plan more w downfield passes.  (I would try and trade for OJ Howard w a late round pick)  Also don't sleep on Tommy Sweeney.  I think he has great upside.  And Yeldon is a solid NFL player.  Guy has a lot of tread left on the tires and needs to be given a chance to show what he can do.  Dimarco has no business being on an NFL roster at this point period.  Brings nothing.    

I disagree totally on Yeldon. If he is your #2 back you are in trouble. Unless seeing running backs bury their faces into the backsides of offensive linemen is your thing.... and that is too freaky even for my tastes. Whereas DiMarco is a solid special teams contributor at least - though I think he is overpaid for what he does.

I'm closer to you on Singletary if I am honest. I think he is a 12-15 carry back which means the chances are he never amasses those huge numbers.... but lots think his ceiling is higher than that so I throw him into that mix. And if Yeldon is our #2 we will need him to take basically all the carries. Agree on Knox, if he makes just some of the easier catches he dropped his rookie numbers would have been right there with if not beyond those of Noah Fant who was the pick of the rookie tight ends.

21 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I want Demarco gone but I think they bring in a RB in 3rd or 4th round to compete with Yeldon for all of Gores touches.

4 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Agree with this, and some of the issue is the play calling, IMO, esp. in regards to Knox and Singletary's/Yeldon's usage.  

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Retired during camp because he is 103. 

that’s funny but I highly doubt they are going to do that after just signing him. Mostly I was saying the OP just forgot about the signing and did this irrelevant breakdown. These types of things are useless before the draft.

9 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

that’s funny but I highly doubt they are going to do that after just signing him. Mostly I was saying the OP just forgot about the signing and did this irrelevant breakdown. These types of things are useless before the draft.

I know, chill. I was just messing with ya. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

As far as the stars in the making.... for Oliver and Edmunds I don’t think it’s a question of “if” but “when”. Personally I fully expect to see Edmunds ascend into the handful of top names/star status next year. And while I think it might take until year 3(2021) for Oliver as well,  I wouldn’t bet against it happening next year right along with Edmunds. 

The stars are in there. It’s really all on what happens with Allen. 

10 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

As far as the stars in the making.... for Oliver and Edmunds I don’t think it’s a question of “if” but “when”. Personally I fully expect to see Edmunds ascend into the handful of top names/star status next year. And while I think it might take until year 3(2021) for Oliver as well,  I wouldn’t bet against it happening next year right along with Edmunds. 

The stars are in there. It’s really all on what happens with Allen. 

Well let's hope so I like Oliver and Edmunds a lot and hope they can elevate into that elite conversation. 

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree totally on Yeldon. If he is your #2 back you are in trouble. Unless seeing running backs bury their faces into the backsides of offensive linemen is your thing.... and that is too freaky even for my tastes. Whereas DiMarco is a solid special teams contributor at least - though I think he is overpaid for what he does.

I'm closer to you on Singletary if I am honest. I think he is a 12-15 carry back which means the chances are he never amasses those huge numbers.... but lots think his ceiling is higher than that so I throw him into that mix. And if Yeldon is our #2 we will need him to take basically all the carries. Agree on Knox, if he makes just some of the easier catches he dropped his rookie numbers would have been right there with if not beyond those of Noah Fant who was the pick of the rookie tight ends.

Exactly where I’m at on the RB situation. Singletary is a 150 carry guy, Yeldon would be  starting some games and or carrying often enough that people should get off that hill.

This isn’t explosive Bama TJ Yeldon, this is a beat up body wasting carries. 

I’m pretty certain the Bills are drafting a capable back. 

• Like (+1) 1