Red Star Players

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Nice topic OP. Please do remind us to  revisit this thread after the next season. My red star list:

WR: Tyler Johnson, Darnell Mooney

DL: Josh Uche, Bradlee Anae, Terrel Lewis

OL: John Simpson, Cameron Clark, Darryl Williams

RB: Darius Bradwell, Antonio Gibson, Lamical Perine

TE: Okwuegbunam

QB: James Morgan

LB: Michael Divinity, Willie Gay, Joe Bachie

S / CB: Julian Blackmon, Darnay Holmes, Reggie Robinson (not including Dugger and Chinn here since they will likely go higher - but they might be underrated even there)

I like Holmes quite a bit. I wanted him at OSU so bad. There’s just something that I’ve always liked about him. It might be a “me” problem but I’m just sure he will be a good pro.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Blokestradamus said:

Last time I open up to you about my feminine side :D

:lol:

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like Holmes quite a bit. I wanted him at OSU so bad. There’s just something that I’ve always liked about him. It might be a “me” problem but I’m just sure he will be a good pro.

I love how he competes. He competes at the line, he competes on routes, despite being undersized for an outside corner he competes in the air. My view (and I took him in the TSW mock) is you start him outside in a press-man scheme and if his size ultimately gets him beat too often then fine, you have yourself a great slot.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

:lol:

I love how he competes. He competes at the line, he competes on routes, despite being undersized for an outside corner he competes in the air. My view (and I took him in the TSW mock) is you start him outside in a press-man scheme and if his size ultimately gets him beat too often then fine, you have yourself a great slot.

He was born to play the slot imo. I wanted him to follow after Denzel Ward at OSU. Their DBs are so absurd and so well-coached. If he would have went there we’d be talking about him ahead of Arnette IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

In The scouting community are red star is a guy who will vastly outperform his draft slot

Guys who scouts will pound the table for knowing that they will be good pros

Who are some of your red star players this draft?

My biggest red star is Joey Banks, safety UB.

Likely a undrafted free agent, I believe Banks physicality and instincts will ultimately carve him out a role on an NFL roster. Where he should shine on special teams and possibly develop into a box safety with some good traits

His physicality, awareness and nose for the football are all above-average and he was arguably UBs best defensive player last season

Since he's supposed to be an undrafted free agent,  Joey Banks is my biggest red star player

How do you feel about LaDarius Mack as a UDFA/7th rd pick?  I feel like he's worth a season on the Bills practice squad. His college career is undistinguished but he started to show flashes this year. Maybe he just needs a season to mature and get coached up right?

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How do you feel about LaDarius Mack as a UDFA/7th rd pick?  I feel like he's worth a season on the Bills practice squad. His college career is undistinguished but he started to show flashes this year. Maybe he just needs a season to mature and get coached up right?

I don't think there's any chance he gets drafted but he will probably get a camp invite somewhere

He will need to prove he's a special teams demon and just work on his overall game a bunch

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think there's any chance he gets drafted but he will probably get a camp invite somewhere

He will need to prove he's a special teams demon and just work on his overall game a bunch

I don't know. I kind of think that he's got the same genes as his All Pro brother. I'd want to see how close he can come to Khalil with the right coaching.

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't know. I kind of think that he's got the same genes as his All Pro brother. I'd want to see how close he can come to Khalil with the right coaching.

Well of course he has the same genes there Brothers. Me and my older brother share genetics and I was a way better athlete. I routinely would play up in his age and outplay him and his competition

UB has better coaching now than it ever has. He's not Khalil Mack though he can maybe be a backup

Cam Akers. 

He's a monster and is every bit of an NFL running back. I'm not sure how his ability and skill set / production is 3rd round.

He had a down year last year after they lost a great coach and went to a terrible coach. I think he will end up being the best RB of this class. 

• Like (+1) 1

Some of my red star players of years past..

Nigel bradham linebacker Florida State

Tyrann Mathieu defensive back LSU

Levi Wallace  CB Alabama

Alvin kamara RB Tennessee

Stevie Johnson WR Kentucky

Russell Wilson quarterback Wisconsin

I can probably open up my scouting notebooks bring up loads more, these are just some recent guys off my head

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Some of my red star players of years past..

Nigel bradham linebacker Florida State

Tyrann Mathieu defensive back LSU

Levi Wallace  CB Alabama

Alvin kamara RB Tennessee

Stevie Johnson WR Kentucky

Russell Wilson quarterback Wisconsin

I can probably open up my scouting notebooks bring up loads more, these are just some recent guys off my head

Ones that immediately come to mind:

DJ Reader, DT, Clemson

Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi State

Robby Anderson, WR, Temple

Bradley Bozeman, IOL, Alabama

Desmond King, CB, Iowa

EDIT: should say there are lots of others that didn't make it but that is the point. You start with 4 day 3 picks each year. If over a 5 year period you hit on those 5 guys on day 3? The other 15 that are misses don't really matter. Just hit on 1 or 2 a year. I did like Matt Milano (the Bills best recent day 3 guy) as well although I hadn't watched enough of him to grade him fully. Just remember scouting Watson's game against BC and seeing the #28 everywhere flying to the football and thinking "yea that kid has a chance to be good". 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ones that immediately come to mind:

DJ Reader, DT, Clemson

Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi State

Robby Anderson, WR, Temple

Bradley Bozeman, IOL, Alabama

Desmond King, CB, Iowa

I know Zack Martin was a first-round pick but I absolutely thought he was one of the top 5 players in the draft.

I had Mack, Donald , Martin all in the top 5 of my big board

He was so freaking good and polished. I thought the kick inside to guard would leave him a perennial All-Pro and I was right

His dominance lead to getting quenton Nelson drafted so high

Edited by Buffalo716

9 minutes ago, Aaronthebaron said:

Julian Blackmon, FS, Utah. I will admit I’m a little biased here, but he is a smart kid, and sees the whole field. He reacts so much quicker than most players.

Yea, love him. Real chance to be a really good NFL player. 

15 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Zack Baun is a guy that I think has a chance to be a star. He’s going late 1st to early 2nd so it’s tough to include him. 

Alex Highsmith is another one for me. He’s a rich man’s Julian Okwara imo. He has a lot of the similarities except he has elite production not just the same skill set. He’s a guy that could go in the fourth and duplicate Maxx Crosby’s rookie numbers.

If you're a late first-round pick and you become a perennial All-Pro or pro bowler

And a scout was banging the table for you, you can definitely be a red star. You definitely out performed your slot

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/22/2020 at 8:50 AM, BillsNutHawaii said:

I’ve watched him play (live at Aloha Stadium) a few times and I’m not seeing the same things you are.  Specifically, his on field decision making and understanding of the game seem questionable to me.  I definitely don’t see him blending in with Buffalo.  But a really nice guy and only wish him well.

He reminds me of a marginally more polished version of Tyree Jackson. He makes wow plays, but I think NFL defenses would feast on him