DIY Homemade Kegerator

CountDorkula

It's not hard. I was a hardcore homebrewer for years and converted a fridge to use as a kegerator. Just need the tapline to run through the fridge wall or door and seal it up with the correct shank parts. I kept the CO2 tank in the fridge, so only one hole was needed. Check out Northern Brewer.

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah.  Some good kits out there.  Also some real garbage kegerators that are expensive.  You can get better quality your way.  Remember to punch your holes through the door as that’s the only place guaranteed to not have Freon tubing running through.  IMO having the faucets attached directly to the door is a superior design as compared to kegerators with towers.  The beer in the lines of the towers is always warm and causes excessive foaming on first pulls.  Also I’d highly recommend paying a little more for things like Perlick spigots.  They’re worth it.

I assume you already have a fridge to dedicate to this.  Chest freezers are also a good way to go, but take a little more work and require lifting kegs in an out.  They can be made to look really nice though if that’s important.  I knew a guy in Cleveland through a homebrew club there that did It with an enormous commercial one (14 corny kegs/sixtels fit in it IIRC) and boxed it out with nice woodwork.  He bought the freezer from a fraternity and when he told the kid what it was for he said the kid looked devastated.

PM me if you need any help.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Yeah.  Some good kits out there.  Also some real garbage kegerators that are expensive.  You can get better quality your way.  Remember to punch your holes through the door as that’s the only place guaranteed to not have Freon tubing running through.  IMO having the faucets attached directly to the door is a superior design as compared to kegerators with towers.  The beer in the lines of the towers is always warm and causes excessive foaming on first pulls.  Also I’d highly recommend paying a little more for things like Perlick spigots.  They’re worth it.

I assume you already have a fridge to dedicate to this.  Chest freezers are also a good way to go, but take a little more work and require lifting kegs in an out.  They can be made to look really nice though if that’s important.  I knew a guy in Cleveland through a homebrew club there that did It with an enormous commercial one (14 corny kegs/sixtels fit in it IIRC) and boxed it out with nice woodwork.  He bought the freezer from a fraternity and when he told the kid what it was for he said the kid looked devastated.

PM me if you need any help.

Yes, I have a standard white fridge I'm going to steal/borrow from my parents. its their outdoor garage fridge with top freezer.

My hope was to run a two or three keg system out of it.

Obviously needing a CO2 splitter for it.

I have been watching a bunch of YouTube videos and it doesn't seem overly hard just wanted to make sure i am not missing anything.

Look is the least important thing for me, if anything i can get fancy and paint it if needed.

my plan was to do the door spigots and then run a line out of the side for the co2.

There is not normally freon tubing coming out the sides is there? It's mostly in the back from what little i know about fridges

9 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Yes, I have a standard white fridge I'm going to steal/borrow from my parents. its their outdoor garage fridge with top freezer.

I have been watching a bunch of YouTube videos and it doesn't seem overly hard just wanted to make sure i am not missing anything.

Look is the least important thing for me, if anything i can get fancy and paint it if needed.

my plan was to do the door spigots and then run a line out of the side for the co2.

There is not normally freon tubing coming out the sides is there? It's mostly in the back from what little i know about fridges

Skip trying to paint it, look for a wrap to cover the dings and scratches

44 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Yes, usually there is a some pass through out the back of the fridge - especially if there was a water line.  But that might not be necessary. See how the kegs will fit first.  You probably won’t get more than one 1/2 bbl keg or two 1/6 bbl kegs (or corny kegs if you’re a Homebrewers) in there.  If it’s the latter, then there is likely room for the CO2 tank inside.

Some tips:

- VERY IMPORTANT!  Use only good quality stainless steel and food grade tubing for anything that will touch the beer.  I can’t over stress that.  Also keep extra tubing on hand in case it gets too gross to clean.  But try to clean the tubes every 1 to 3 beer rotations, depending on how much you use it.

- Best places to get CO2 refilled are welding companies.  It’s cheap and they have food grade.  Some can even do nitro mixes required for Guinness or other nitro beers.  If you already have a nice tank go to a place that will do a refill while you wait.  Buying a used tank and doing exchanges will save you some money.  The welding places will inspect and tag the tank so there is no risk of a faulty tank.

- If you’re doing two or more kegs you can use a “Y” splitter (for 2), a gas manifold (2 or more) or a regulator that has multiple outputs (2 or more).  The last is the most expensive and would allow for different pressures in each tank.  That might be important to a Homebrewers.  I have a two keg set up with a three way manifold.  I used the extra port to purge tanks and kegs when I homebrewed.  I later converted it to an extra Sanke connection.  I’d run two Sankes and a corny so I would not have to take stuff apart when I swapped between keg styles.  I also have a nitro set up just to keep things complicated.   Whatever you chose, just make sure you can keep any unused line shut off.  If you’re using Sanke connections then that will automatically shut off the gas when it is taken off.  Home brew set ups can be wonkier.

I was a homebrewer for over 20 years and worked as a professional brewer for about 3 so hit me up if you need anything.  If you’re local to Buffalo I may even have stuff to sell or give you.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

The door and walls are only insulation. All the mechanics are out back (condenser coil) or on the bottom (compressor). 

46 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

The door and walls are only insulation. All the mechanics are out back (condenser coil) or on the bottom (compressor). 

The condenser is on the back, but the evaporator tubes can be located in the walls.  Or at least that’s how it was explained In the tutorial I got at the homebrewer meeting.  He was really clear about only cutting the door and not taking a chance with the walls. 

Edited by BarleyNY

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Some tips:

- VERY IMPORTANT!  Use only good quality stainless steel and food grade tubing for anything that will touch the beer.  I can’t over stress that.  Also keep extra tubing on hand in case it gets too gross to clean.  But try to clean the tubes every 1 to 3 beer rotations, depending on how much you use it.

-

Hmm, we built on own just like this in college, cleaning tubes was something we should have done? Who knew..we went three years never toughing the thing LOL! Although went to a dry school that was parties only, so we had a Wednesday nighter every week, and late night Saturdays most of 2nd semester, 3 halfs at each, another one bout for our consumption in between parties. so 7 halves og Genny a week flowing through that thing...prolly wasn't gunn taste the difference eithe way LOL.

BTW, we sold it to the crew coming into the house behind us..they prolly sold it to next group..tubes prolly went 10 years without being cleaned!

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hmm, we built on own just like this in college, cleaning tubes was something we should have done? Who knew..we went three years never toughing the thing LOL! Although went to a dry school that was parties only, so we had a Wednesday nighter every week, and late night Saturdays most of 2nd semester, 3 halfs at each, another one bout for our consumption in between parties. so 7 halves og Genny a week flowing through that thing...prolly wasn't gunn taste the difference eithe way LOL.

BTW, we sold it to the crew coming into the house behind us..they prolly sold it to next group..tubes prolly went 10 years without being cleaned!

None of this is suprising out of you, at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Yes, usually there is a some pass through out the back of the fridge - especially if there was a water line.  But that might not be necessary. See how the kegs will fit first.  You probably won’t get more than one 1/2 bbl keg or two 1/6 bbl kegs (or corny kegs if you’re a Homebrewers) in there.  If it’s the latter, then there is likely room for the CO2 tank inside.

Some tips:

- Best places to get CO2 refilled are welding companies.  It’s cheap and they have food grade.  Some can even do nitro mixes required for Guinness or other nitro beers.  If you already have a nice tank go to a place that will do a refill while you wait.  Buying a used tank and doing exchanges will save you some money.  The welding places will inspect and tag the tank so there is no risk of a faulty tank.

- If you’re doing two or more kegs you can use a “Y” splitter (for 2), a gas manifold (2 or more) or a regulator that has multiple outputs (2 or more).  The last is the most expensive and would allow for different pressures in each tank.  That might be important to a Homebrewers.  I have a two keg set up with a three way manifold.  I used the extra port to purge tanks and kegs when I homebrewed.  I later converted it to an extra Sanke connection.  I’d run two Sankes and a corny so I would not have to take stuff apart when I swapped between keg styles.  I also have a nitro set up just to keep things complicated.   Whatever you chose, just make sure you can keep any unused line shut off.  If you’re using Sanke connections then that will automatically shut off the gas when it is taken off.  Home brew set ups can be wonkier.

I was a homebrewer for over 20 years and worked as a professional brewer for about 3 so hit me up if you need anything.  If you’re local to Buffalo I may even have stuff to sell or give you.  

appreciate it thanks! 

I’m most likely doing 1/6 bbl kegs. 

I still somewhat dabble in home brewing but I want to get back into it again. 

If you were buying full(1/6) kegs where did you find was best? 

I’ll send you a message if I can think of anything I need. 

5 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

My friend built one out of a chest freezer someone left in the house he bought. Said it wasnt difficult. I think he did it in a few days. Even has a tap in his basement he built

Everything I’ve heard about chest freezers is you need temp control on them. 

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Tubes require cleaning much less often if there is a constant flow going through them!  :lol:  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Again. This was explained this way by a homebrewer.   Knowledgeable guy, great presentation, but not a pro. 

Little known fact: @Seasons1992 started home brewing when he found it difficult to get served in a bar....so he took charge!

....or something like that. 

...or maybe not......he was treated poorly by an unqualified group of servers, and I feel partly responsible. Hey, but that was “a place” for me in Nashville for a reason. 

Global Pandemic = Kegerator Season! :)?

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

appreciate it thanks! 

I’m most likely doing 1/6 bbl kegs. 

I still somewhat dabble in home brewing but I want to get back into it again. 

If you were buying full(1/6) kegs where did you find was best? 

I’ll send you a message if I can think of anything I need. 

Everything I’ve heard about chest freezers is you need temp control on them. 

I used to get kegs of beer cheap when I was a brewer.  And before that I’d just make beer at home.  I haven’t bought much since and I still have friends I can get them through.  Some local breweries will actually do keg fills for you if you have cornys.  I’d say your best bets for sixtels are to get them either from local breweries directly or to just go to a place like Consumers or another retailer.  I do not think that distributors like Try-It will sell to the public, but you can always call them to be sure.

Some breweries can sell you what they have on site.  Ask for what’s fresh, especially if you are an IPA drinker.  Chat up a brewer if you can.  My best advice for a place like Consumers is to get their price list and see what makes sense to you from a quality versus price standpoint.  In all honesty there isn’t always a correlation these days.  I think you can get some great beer for a lot less than a lot of what’s out there going for big bucks.  And check those dates when you see the keg.  They’ll often order stuff for you if they can.

For the keezer, yes you would probably need a temperature regulator.  Depends on the temperature range of the freezer’s dial.  It just plugs into the wall and the keezer plugs into it.  There’s a thermometer that goes into the keezer so it knows when to turn on and off.  

Great advice from Barley. I have a converted chest freezer that I built out a little more than a decade ago. Works like a champ, but have to admit 1/4 barrels are getting to be pain to drop in.

A052A189-FFA4-4374-BA07-AD95D0C72644.jpeg

58570AF6-A4A0-4051-8627-AAF28DD7CB19.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Augie said:

Little known fact: @Seasons1992 started home brewing when he found it difficult to get served in a bar....so he took charge!

....or something like that. 

...or maybe not......he was treated poorly by an unqualified group of servers, and I feel partly responsible. Hey, but that was “a place” for me in Nashville for a reason. 

Global Pandemic = Kegerator Season! :)?

Homebrewing had to start when having my head on the bar wasn't acceptable social practice......

And @Royale with Cheese and @Boyst62 can back me up on Bar Louie Nashville. I just feel bad for Jeff's girl there with us, watching the debauchery.

• Haha (+1) 1