I agree with this philosophy and Bills should absolutely be looking at QBs

MAJBobby

14 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I'm not a big fan of barkley and would like to see him cut or pushed to #3. JA has not locked it up just yet, year 3 for me would be a determining factor as far as steps foreword and becoming fully confident he could be under center for a years to come. 

definitely draft one and hopefully the kid can be a solid back up.

one that will tuck and run. he's very athletic, especially with his feet.

he's got a nice arm but more important the smarts and leadership skills

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Time to start getting into the QB flipping Business

Green Bay as a model?  Explain.... because they had Favre in place as the unquestioned starter.

Drafting a QB now sends a mixed message to your current QB who still is on a rookie deal.  You have to consider the human element here.  This isn’t Madden.

It will ever happen

1 hour ago, Manther said:

Favre and Hasselback, Favre and Rodgers.

I don't believe you draft QBs to flip them as assets.  That is like purchasing an automobile (a depreciating asset) as an investment and too make money.

But, by having a #1 QB in place and continuing to draft QBs gives you the opportunity to have a good back up, potentially have a successor or long term answer.  The ability to develop and evaluate a 2nd QB gives a team more options.  And, if they are decent and not ready to be the successor or long term answer then you move on from them.  IF you can recoup some capital by trading them, you do it.

It is just part of the process.

Scroll up.

They didn't draft Favre.  They packaged Hassleback.

7 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Agree … but the downside is fickle fans and media.   Everyone loves the young backup prospect.  At least until the real bullets fly. 

What did Marv once say about this?  Something to the effect of when coaches listen to fans they end up sitting next to them.  

I doubt Beane and McD operate to satisfy the fans or trust the process had anything to do with them.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

The goal is to become and maintain status of a contender. I for one think Josh will continue to grow. So yes I am taking a QB. Will supplant Barkley and develop come year 3 or 4 on the QB I flip him (provided he developed). 

The Patriot way.  Exactly what they did w Garrapalo.  Ironically they don't have much at the moment at QB.  Although Stidham may surprise.  He has some potential.  I watched most of his games at Auburn.  (My ex girlfriend was a huge fan of the Tigers because her daughter went there)  The boy can wing it.  But he leaves the pocket quickly and has the tendency to drop back to his right a lot when the rush starts coming and ends up throwing wildly, being sacked or throwing the ball away.  See game at Clemson three years ago. (Exactly what Baker Mayfield does when rushed)  And they have Cody Kessler and Bryan Hoyer.  Wow, Hoyer sucks.  I remember a game against the Browns at the Ralph several years back (maybe the one where Kyle or Jerry got a defensive TD) and he was just brutal.  How does he have a job in the league at this point?  Kessler is the perfect example of the guy who is a very good college QB, but just can't do a whole lot in the pros.  AJ McCarron is another one of those guys.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DFT said:

I’m very hopeful Fromm falls amid the bad year and athletic concerns.  Somebody is going to get a good QB in him.

of course...  I’ve liked some truly awful prospects in my time as well.  

I was pounding the table for Ryan Mallet, we all fall in love with flops.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Packers don't flip QBs.  That's the point.  The Bills have flipped as many recently (Cardale Jones?).

As for drafting QBs just to flip them---that's a bit unrealistic.  Jimmy G wasn't drafted for that.  And drafting a backup to your young emerging franchise QB makes it extremely unlikely that your low drafted rookie backup will develop trade value for more picks any time soon.

Better drafting backups to be the backup. If flipping was an actual thing, they would draft one this year and "flip" Barkley who should have more value right now than his replacement.

I agree. I feel like there are few examples of flipping QB's in the league. Who does it a lot? No team that I can think of, at least not in regularity.

However, we got pretty good return trading Tyrod and AJ McCarron (who we would have cut anyway), so maybe we are already doing it. But we didn't draft those guys we picked them up off the street.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

The Patriot way.  Exactly what they did w Garrapalo.  Ironically they don't have much at the moment at QB.  Although Stidham may surprise.  He has some potential.  I watched most of his games at Auburn.  (My ex girlfriend was a huge fan of the Tigers because her daughter went there)  The boy can wing it.  But he leaves the pocket quickly and has the tendency to drop back to his right a lot when the rush starts coming and ends up throwing wildly, being sacked or throwing the ball away.  See game at Clemson three years ago. (Exactly what Baker Mayfield does when rushed)  And they have Cody Kessler and Bryan Hoyer.  Wow, Hoyer sucks.  I remember a game against the Browns at the Ralph several years back (maybe the one where Kyle or Jerry got a defensive TD) and he was just brutal.  How does he have a job in the league at this point?  Kessler is the perfect example of the guy who is a very good college QB, but just can't do a whole lot in the pros.  AJ McCarron is another one of those guys.

15 hours ago, FireChans said:

This is a meme to end all meme’s.

Since 2011, the Pats drafted:

-Ryan Mallett, pick 74. “Flippped” for a conditional SIXTH

-Jimmy G, pick 62. Flipped for pick 43

-Brissett, pick 91. Flipped for a WR with 800 yards in THREE SEASONS with the Pats.

This is the “peak” of this “strategy.” Lol

Enough.

15 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Agree … but the downside is fickle fans and media.   Everyone loves the young backup prospect.  At least until the real bullets fly. 

If the starter is performing and winning playoff games, the back-up is a complete and total afterthought in the fans minds. 

• Like (+1) 1

Sal was hinting on WGR that the Bills might draft a QB with one of the 3 picks in the 6th and 7th rounds because signing UDFAs is going to be so unpredictable this year with the current situation. I'm not sure that makes sense because aren't UDFAs are always signed by phone right after the draft anyway? Regardless, he's about as plugged in as any reporter and I think it would be a good idea - not to use as trade bait down the road, but to push Barkley for the #2 spot. 

36 minutes ago, JinxedBill said:

I like Allen in all but I’m also not a fan of putting all my eggs in one basket.

Always be prepared. Draft a young talented guy. Worse case scenario you flip him for a pick.

Worst case scenario he is Nate Peterman. 

16 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I think he is just hanging his hat on the Farve, Rogers thing.  The better comparison would have been the Patriots QB flipping mentality.  Either way that is where I want the Bills getting to, easiest way to get draft assets is flipping QBs

I think Slater is full of bull manure.  It's Russ Brandon's "money ball" on steroids that's guaranteed to keep a team perpetually mired in mediocrity unless a fortuitous set of circumstances turn a 6th round pick into the GOAT.   The point of playing NFL football is to win the Super Bowl, not amass "draft assets" or to increase team profits at the expense of the product on the field.

The "theory" is not supported by the facts, especially in the case of the Packers.  Brett Favre was going into his fifteenth NFL season when the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers who unexpectedly dropped down to #24.   Rodgers is going into his fifteenth NFL season.   The last QB the Packers drafted was 5th rounder Brent Hundley in 2015.  Since they drafted Rodgers, the only QB they drafted on Day 2 was Brian Brohm in Round 2 in 2008.  How, exactly, is that "QB flipping"? 

The Patriots' supposed "QB flipping" is largely a myth.  The Patriots under Belichick drafted QBs on Day 3 to be backups, including Tom Brady.  Most of them were non-factors as most Day 3 QBs are.  The myth is based on Brady's success and Matt Cassel's 2008 season when Brady was injured in the season opener, and Cassel led the Pats to 11-5.  The Pats originally drafted Bledsoe to be their starter, which he was.  It was Brady's success that made Bledsoe expendable.  I believe that the Pats got a second round pick for Cassel.  They may have also traded Brian Hoyer who was originally an UDFA.

Brady was in his 11th NFL season when the Patriots started to draft QBs before Day 3: Ryan Mallett in Round 3 in 2011, Jimmy Garoppolo in Round 2 in 2014, Jacoby Brissett in Round 3 in 2016.  All three were eventually traded, but they weren't drafted to be "flipped" but rather in hope of finding a successor to Brady.  There were rumors at the time that Garoppolo was traded that Kraft interceded to placate Brady so the Patriots either had to trade him, sign him to starter money or let him walk.

Moreover, the trades of Garoppolo and Brissett look like they may come back and bite the Pats in their collective arse.  Brady's in Tampa, Garoppolo is the Niners starter, Brissett has proven to be a competent if unspectacular QB --- and the Pats have Brian Hoyer and some second year QB who's never played a regular season down as their QB tandem.   That's why Slater didn't use the Patriots as an example of "QB flipping".  It left them with bare cupboard and no cap space to acquire a better QB.

The Bills need to give Josh Allen at least the upcoming season to prove himself.  If he doesn't progress or regresses, then they should consider bringing in somebody with the potential to replace him just as Chicago has done by bringing in Foles when they have Trubisky.   The team has legitimate needs to fill early in every draft, and maybe next year one of them will be a replacement for Allen, but not in this draft.