I agree with this philosophy and Bills should absolutely be looking at QBs

MAJBobby

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Kurt Warner, Mark Brunell, and Ty Detmer all of which went on to be starters in the league one making it to the HOF

Detmer left the Packers a FA.

Warner wasn't drafted by and never played for the Packers.

Brunnel was the only Packers drafted QB "flipped" for picks better than he cost them in 27 years (Hasselback was packaged with a 1st round pick to move up 7 spots).

• Thank you (+1) 3

For a second assume Allen plays significantly better than a rookie.  If Allen improves off last season and plays less reckless a day 2 pick on a Qb would be a waste.  Allen is entering his prime.  In a position where you can get another starter on the team you drafted a guy who will never help Allen win.  Barring injury ofcourse.  Ive stated in other threads im not against Buffalo taking any position besides kicker or punter day 2.  Actively looking for a qb day 2 would create a massive reach.  I think the best hedge bet you could make is Jalen Hurts.  Year 1 could he beat out Allen or even Barkley?  Probably not.  As an athlete he could add a slash or Tasum Hill component to the offense if he is willing to play barring hes not the top qb.  Thats a conversation worth having.  Fromm, Eason or whoever seems likes an incrimental improvement on Barkley at best.

20 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I would fully be on board taking a Hurts, Fromm, Eason etc if they are there in the 4th, develop them, showcase them in Preseason going into the next seasons and flip them in a heart beat.  Take a QB in the 4th, flip him in a couple years for a 1st and more

You seriously think we are going to draft a Hurts, Fromm or Eason, have them play in the preseason and THEN eventually trade them for 1st round picks?  You are joking right??  

If we take one of those 3, we are taking them as a fall back if Josh Allen falls flat on his face bigtime this year, which aint going to happen.  We still need offensive playmakers.  I get so frustrated reading some of you posters as well as the local media who seem to think our roster is set to contend for a Super Bowl right now, and all we need is some depth players for the future.  (And with that line of thinking lets draft 5 or 6 defensive guys)  We were what about 24th in the NFL last year in scoring.  And 26th in passing yards.  I would be ecstatic to draft TWO WR's and at least one if not two RB's.  And maybe a TE instead of the 2nd RB.  Our offense was not good.  And all we have done so far is add one big time WR.  And a couple of O lineman in Williams and Boehm who may not make the team   We need more offense.  So when you start talking about drafting QB's relatively high just to flip them down the road, that makes no sense to the goal of winning in the here and now!! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

You seriously think we are going to draft a Hurts, Fromm or Eason, have them play in the preseason and THEN eventually trade them for 1st round picks?  You are joking right??  

If we take one of those 3, we are taking them as a fall back if Josh Allen falls flat on his face bigtime this year, which aint going to happen.  We still need offensive playmakers.  I get so frustrated reading some of you posters as well as the local media who seem to think our roster is set to contend for a Super Bowl right now, and all we need is some depth players for the future.  (And with that line of thinking lets draft 5 or 6 defensive guys)  We were what about 24th in the NFL last year in scoring.  And 26th in passing yards.  I would be ecstatic to draft TWO WR's and at least one if not two RB's.  And maybe a TE instead of the 2nd RB.  Our offense was not good.  And all we have done so far is add one big time WR.  And a couple of O lineman in Williams and Boehm who may not make the team   We need more offense.  So when you start talking about drafting QB's relatively high just to flip them down the road, that makes no sense to the goal of winning in the here and now!! 

The goal is to become and maintain status of a contender. I for one think Josh will continue to grow. So yes I am taking a QB. Will supplant Barkley and develop come year 3 or 4 on the QB I flip him (provided he developed). 

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Detmer left the Packers a FA.

Warner wasn't drafted by and never played for the Packers.

Brunnel was the only Packers drafted QB "flipped" for picks better than he cost them in 27 years (Hasselback was packaged with a 1st round pick to move up 7 spots).

I think the point is stockpiling QBs .  I agree flipping them is rare.  Steve Walsh is the only QB that I think was chosen by Dallas purely for future trade value and a bit of a hedge if Aikman didn't improve.

• Like (+1) 1

Barkely has one good game in an otherwise unremarkable career.  If you believe in competition at all levels, then adding a QB this year makes sense.   

DE, OLB, RB, DB, and what else would you draft?  I would add P and QB to the list of needs.  I'd be happy with 5 of those 6 added with DE, OLB, and RB with three of he first four picks.  I believe in drafting for need but there is depth at DB so even though not a true need it may be wise to draft a DB (preferably a safety).  

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I think the point is stockpiling QBs .  I agree flipping them is rare.  Steve Walsh is the only QB that I think was chosen by Dallas purely for future trade value and a bit of a hedge if Aikman didn't improve.

I think the concept of doing that doesn't really exist.  The tweet that was posted suggesting there is a "template" for it actually proves it's not an actual thing that teams do (certainly not the team he cited).

Any team will consider trading a redundant non starter if they know another team values him more than they do.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Since 1992, the Packers have had 2 starting QBs, only one of whom they drafted.  What "template" is this guy referring to?  Matt Flynn (FA)?  Brent Huntley (cost a 5th, got a 6th)? 

Favre and Hasselback, Favre and Rodgers

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Since 1992, the Packers have had 2 starting QBs, only one of whom they drafted.  What "template" is this guy referring to?  Matt Flynn (FA)?  Brent Huntley (cost a 5th, got a 6th)? 

Favre and Hasselback, Favre and Rodgers.

I don't believe you draft QBs to flip them as assets.  That is like purchasing an automobile (a depreciating asset) as an investment and too make money.

But, by having a #1 QB in place and continuing to draft QBs gives you the opportunity to have a good back up, potentially have a successor or long term answer.  The ability to develop and evaluate a 2nd QB gives a team more options.  And, if they are decent and not ready to be the successor or long term answer then you move on from them.  IF you can recoup some capital by trading them, you do it.

It is just part of the process.

• Like (+1) 2

A number of thoughts on this.

1. Dallas potentially taking Hurts is a situation very unique to the Cowboys--he's an Oklahoma player, which means he would appeal to a huge swath of the Cowboys fanbase. Jones has gone to that well before, for Switzer, and he'd do it again. Considering Dak is franchise tagged, it's fair to say the Cowboys are "unsettled" at the QB position. They absolutely would not be in the business of stockpiling backup talent if they brought in a Heisman Sooner with their first round pick.

2. Has any team, ever, had a system of cultivating backup QBs and moving them for profit? As a poster above me stated more succinctly than I ever could: the Pats get a lot of credit for doing it, despite not really doing it. QB seems like the one position on the roster where successful teams actually make it a point to do the exact opposite, and roster guys who are .500 pace keepers at best. 

3. Conversely, it seems like whenever a situation arises where a team is forced to make a choice between two nominally "good" quarterbacks, the fan base can be divided for decades! Flutie/Johnson comes to mind, but Favre/Rogers, Wentz/Foles, Luck/Manning, Young/Montana, Brady/Jimmy G, the list goes on. As sure as YOU might be that any one of those QBs is better than the one they're linked to, just know that there is a fan on the other side of the fence who feels equally as passionate about the inverse. 

4. There's better talent out there on the market that will be cheaper after the draft. I'd take any one of of Cam/Jameis/Dalton/Flacco over a rook. Guys that know the game well enough to learn an offense on the fly, guys that are proven QBs who could keep us on a playoff pace, and guys that don't have boom/bust potential, because:

5. What has Josh Allen done to deserve looking over his shoulder? His play year 1 was encouraging, and then he followed it up with an extremely exciting, competent, good season 2 that was the Bills most successful campaign in decades. And this wasn't an Orton situation where the D carried us to 9 ridiculous wins, it was Josh Allen winning many games on his own. They weren't a 10 win team in spite of the QB, they were a 10 win team because of him. Draft the guy some weapons, get him a competent backup that can mentor him ala Andy Dalton, and give him all the support he needs, and lets just enjoy some good football for once.

Edited by JohnnyGold
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

2. Has any team, ever, had a system of cultivating backup QBs and moving them for profit? As a poster above me stated more succinctly than I ever could: the Pats get a lot of credit for doing it, despite not really doing it. QB seems like the one position on the roster where successful teams 2. Has any team, ever, had a system of cultivating backup QBs and moving them for profit? As a poster above me stated more succinctly than I ever could: the Pats get a lot of credit for doing it, despite not really doing it. QB seems like the one position on the roster where successful teams actually make it a point to do the exact opposite, and roster guys who are .500 pace keepers at best. actually make it a point to do the exact opposite, and roster guys who are .500 pace keepers at best. 

Back in the Favre days the Packers had guys like Ty Dettmer, Marc Brunell, Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Brooks and Rodgers as a backup. All of whom became starters and many they drafted and ended up trading away for higher pick than invested. Heck they also had Kurt Warner in camp but cut him before he ended up with Rams.

Edited by The Jokeman

I'm not a big fan of barkley and would like to see him cut or pushed to #3. JA has not locked it up just yet, year 3 for me would be a determining factor as far as steps foreword and becoming fully confident he could be under center for a years to come. 

definitely draft one and hopefully the kid can be a solid back up.

14 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

hurts will be a starter in this league. 

one that will tuck and run. he's very athletic, especially with his feet.