I agree with this philosophy and Bills should absolutely be looking at QBs

MAJBobby

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's a thread about a thing that doesn't exist based on a tweet that referenced a team that doesn't do it.

Otherwise....makes sense.

Like I said, be open to an opportunity, but don’t make roster decisions based around rare occurrences, jmo. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

If this was an actual thing every team would be super active doing it, but being that there is a dearth of Even above average QBs... Sure every once in a while a team scores an extra QB that has the ability to be a starter, and keeps or trades him, but really, it’s rare as hens teeth ? ??. I’m not saying not to keep your eye open for that opportunity and capitalize on it, but again how many unclaimed QBs have that potential? 

I think plenty of QBs have potential.  What’s lacking are coaches who have the ability and available time to spend grooming them.

44 minutes ago, Billl said:

I think plenty of QBs have potential.  What’s lacking are coaches who have the ability and available time to spend grooming them.

Correct, and much less for the second stringer.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the number of cases in the NFL where a backup QB was traded for a 1st rounder.

Here's what I've got thus far, off the top of my head, and from the late 20th/early 21st century:

• Trent Green (kind of an asterisk here because he was destined to be a starter before injury)
  • Rob Johnson (OMG)

I'm sure that this list is incomplete, but is just off the top of my head.

What I'm saying is that asking for a first rounder for a backup QB is rare, but it's possible in many cases (Google this -- I just did) to get a second rounder, in particular if you bundle another player.  Most recent cases I can think of were Jimmy G and Matt Cassel.

Having written all that, it's never a bad idea to look at QBs.  I just don't happen to agree with the POV that backup QBs can be groomed into being traded for higher draft picks most of the time.

Edited by Groin

15 minutes ago, Groin said:

Correct, and much less for the second stringer.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the number of cases in the NFL where a backup QB was traded for a 1st rounder.

Here's what I've got thus far, off the top of my head, and from the late 20th/early 21st century:

• Trent Green (kind of an asterisk here because he was destined to be a starter before injury)
  • Rob Johnson (OMG)

I'm sure that this list is incomplete, but is just off the top of my head.

What I'm saying is that asking for a first rounder for a backup QB is rare, but it's possible in many cases (Google this -- I just did) to get a second rounder, in particular if you bundle another player.  Most recent cases I can think of were Jimmy G and Matt Cassel.

Having written all that, it's never a bad idea to look at QBs.  I just don't happen to agree with the POV that backup QBs can be groomed into being traded for higher draft picks most of the time.

Favre going from Atl to GB would be the biggest example of a backup QB going for a first rounder

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, inthebuff said:

Favre going from Atl to GB would be the biggest example of a backup QB going for a first rounder

Yeah, I forgot that one... how could I?!  My mistake.

But still, it's rare to have first rounders be given for backup QBs, and to have them be successful at that.

• Like (+1) 1