100 percent agree with this—safeties should be worth more than 2 points

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

Came here to say that. There's nothing more powerful in a game than a turnover. Completely changes momentum. Adding two points to that just makes a safety the ultimate play in football. No need to add more points.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

How about we keep everything regarding points in the game of football the same? It works and I like it. No need for a change.

We hear your "GET OFF MY LAWN!" loud and clear.  Some of us like to look at things a bit more analytically.

Just now, eball said:

We hear your "GET OFF MY LAWN!" loud and clear.  Some of us like to look at things a bit more analytically.

I'm young and don't have a lawn. And I look at things as analytically as you or anyone else. Analytically, it makes sense to keep it the same.

I’m good with the safety. 2 points AND the ball is plenty. 

.... what I can’t freaking stand is if you fumble the ball out of the endzone while while going in to score, it’s a turnover. Take it back to the 15 or 20.  But for the love of god, that’s a stupid turnover rule. 

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I’m good with the safety. 2 points AND the ball is plenty. 

.... what I can’t freaking stand is if you fumble the ball out of the endzone while while going in to score, it’s a turnover. Take it back to the 15 or 20.  But for the love of god, that’s a stupid turnover rule. 

I love it because it’s chaos. Nothing else really makes sense either. If you fumble out of the bounds in the end zone, you can’t get the ball in the end zone. Going back to the 20 doesn’t make sense, you turned it over. You shouldn’t get extra downs if you fumbled on third down.

It’s one of those weird rules that is kind of unchangeable.

31 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm young and don't have a lawn. And I look at things as analytically as you or anyone else. Analytically, it makes sense to keep it the same.

Your answer is the opposite of an analytical take on whether a safety should be worth more than 2 points.  Your position is even mocked in the article.

51 minutes ago, MJS said:

Came here to say that. There's nothing more powerful in a game than a turnover. Completely changes momentum. Adding two points to that just makes a safety the ultimate play in football. No need to add more points.

48 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Safeties give you 2 points and the ball, which is potentially a 9 or 10 point swing. Safeties being worth a defensive TD and not the turn over takes away from them IMO.

But its not a turnover or even really close.  Average field position after a safety (as described in the article) is much worse than average field position after a turnover.  Its actually probably worth less points than a turnover from the same position on the field.  Its overall undervalued.  maybe 2 points and the ball at opponents 35 you could convince me but 2 points and return is not so valuable.

Teams have taken safeties at the end of close games to seal wins cause its worth so little value.  That should tell you all you need to know about how much its worth.

11 minutes ago, eball said:

Your answer is the opposite of an analytical take on whether a safety should be worth more than 2 points.  Your position is even mocked in the article.

It's not the opposite. My analytical approach is just as valid as yours: "a safety should be worth more because they are cool, man!"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I love it because it’s chaos. Nothing else really makes sense either. If you fumble out of the bounds in the end zone, you can’t get the ball in the end zone. Going back to the 20 doesn’t make sense, you turned it over. You shouldn’t get extra downs if you fumbled on third down.

It’s one of those weird rules that is kind of unchangeable.

Well it’s not a turnover anywhere else on the field. It’s unnecessary chaos. Loss of down and move it back. If it’s 4th down its turnover and touchback. It’s a very easy fix to a silly rule. 

9 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Well it’s not a turnover anywhere else on the field. It’s unnecessary chaos. Loss of down and move it back. If it’s 4th down its turnover and touchback. It’s a very easy fix to a silly rule. 

Move it back where?

How many points should it be if a player catches a kickoff in the end zone, then tosses it to the ref, who lets it fall to the ground ... then said ball is picked up by the kicking team?

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

How many points should it be if a player catches a kickoff in the end zone, then tosses it to the ref, who lets it fall to the ground ... then said ball is picked up by the kicking team?

.... depends on who you want to win. 

If the scoring team would be the bills and they’ve sucked forever so nobody cares if they get screwed or cares to see them advance ..... then zero points. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

A safety should be worth five (5) points and the ball, doing this would add more scoring and excitement to the game. 
I for one am all for such a changes. 

Go Bills!!!

Yeah, I was thinking a five-point play too. That makes sense. It's a hard play to make, it's rare, and it's an awesome play to boot. 

Bills defeat the Giants, 22-17 (because the Giants go for it on fourth down and fail instead of going for the FG to go up 20-19).

1 hour ago, Hardhatharry said:

Well it's 2 points and the team has to punt the ball to you.

You're the second person to mention this. This issue is literally described in exacting detail in the article.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

...I mean if people really want to get into scoring the minutiae we already have fantasy football. 

It's a great play and it's a football play (rather then a set-piece ST play). It's rare. And it's worth less than a garden-variety FG, the most boring play in the game outside of kickoff touchbacks. Moreover, it's worth 2 points because .... some guy in the 1890s assigned it two points.  

• Like (+1) 1