100 percent agree with this—safeties should be worth more than 2 points

I think it needs to be addressed that safeties can only really occur within a very specific part of the field, whereas defensive TDs can happen from anywhere. So it's not simply that safeties occur more infrequently...imo you have to look at the ratio of how many plays run from inside the 3 result in safeties vs the ratio of overall defensive snaps that result in defensive TDs...I expect it will make defensive TDs as infrequent, if not rarer, than safeties.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think it needs to be addressed that safeties can only really occur within a very specific part of the field, whereas defensive TDs can happen from anywhere. So it's not simply that safeties occur more infrequently...imo you have to look at the ratio of how many plays run from inside the 3 result in safeties vs the ratio of overall defensive snaps that result in defensive TDs...I expect it will make defensive TDs as infrequent, if not rarer, than safeties.

but doesnt that just belie the point.  Since safeties can only occur on a certain part of the field they are more rare.  I feel as if they should be game changing plays are they hardly ever are.  Would love to see what would happen if they were worth more.  certainly punting it inside the 5 would be a huge stat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

But shouldn’t that be taken in account when changing the points allowed for a safety? Not only do you need to make a tackle for a loss play, you have to first pin the opponent that deep to begin with. So you would have to take both probabilities and combine them. It isn’t simply the percentage of safeties that result when inside the 1. It would also need to take into account the probability of pinning your opponent inside the 3 so you actually have a legitimate chance at the safety play. It’s definitely a combined probability. 

10 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

but doesnt that just belie the point.  Since safeties can only occur on a certain part of the field they are more rare.  I feel as if they should be game changing plays are they hardly ever are.  Would love to see what would happen if they were worth more.  certainly punting it inside the 5 would be a huge stat.

Just now, PetermansRedemption said:

But shouldn’t that be taken in account when changing the points allowed for a safety? Not only do you need to make a tackle for a loss play, you have to first pin the opponent that deep to begin with. So you would have to take both probabilities and combine them. It isn’t simply the percentage of safeties that result when inside the 1. It would also need to take into account the probability of pinning your opponent inside the 3 so you actually have a legitimate chance at the safety play. It’s definitely a combined probability. 

My point was when you look at the specific circumstances that must occur by rule for a safety to be possible, they probably aren't as rare as they seem. 

Just now, GoBills808 said:

My point was when you look at the specific circumstances that must occur by rule for a safety to be possible, they probably aren't as rare as they seem. 

yeah thats not too surprising (nor would I disagree) but I think the counter is those specific circumstances are also pretty rare.

A safety should be worth five (5) points and the ball, doing this would add more scoring and excitement to the game. 
I for one am all for such a changes. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

A safety should be worth five (5) points and the ball, I like Worstevers81’s field goal points concept as well. 
doing these things would add more scoring and excitement to the game. 
I for one am all for such changes. 

Go Bills!!!

Should touchdowns from the 20 be worth more than touchdowns from the 5? 

1 hour ago, glazeduck said:

They ARE worth more than 2 pts. They're 2 pts and a turnover.

Came here to say that. There's nothing more powerful in a game than a turnover. Completely changes momentum. Adding two points to that just makes a safety the ultimate play in football. No need to add more points.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Should touchdowns from the 20 be worth more than touchdowns from the 5? 

TDs bump up to nine((9) points with traditional point after opportunities, I retract my statement on field goals. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Makes sense but it'll be funny when a team down 4 takes an intentional 20 yard loss to set up a 60 yard game winning fg.

Ow.  Now my head hurts after contemplating that.  I look like Richie Kotite with that stunned look he always had when coaching the Jets.