Reports that the Virtual Mock NFL Draft Test didn't go to well

MAJBobby

46 minutes ago, arcane said:

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if this stuff is driven by GMs grumbling that the draft wasn't postponed finding anything they can to be inconvenient and complaining loudly about it 

Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner.

Never felt more confident about a Bills FO going into a draft.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This is the bit I am most interested in. The teams making their picks less so but how does the TV bit work? 

Usually a draft is complicated enough when coming from one location, plus player cams at whichever location they are at. Now, you throw in the instability of live shots at multiple locations, which can be sketchy even with broadcast TVU units (backpack transmitters sending HD video over cellular data), but instead going with regular consumer wifi with 32 team feeds plus player feeds all coordinated to a central control room where directors/TDs cut the program for air. It’s a complicated production with a lot of moving parts.  I was a producer for the variety kids telethon for years and know what a huge technical undertaking that was, hence my amusement at those calling this draft nothing more than a fantasy draft ?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Usually a draft is complicated enough when coming from one location, plus player cams at whichever location they are at. Now, you throw in the instability of live shots at multiple locations, which can be sketchy even with broadcast TVU units (backpack transmitters sending HD video over cellular data), but instead going with regular consumer wifi with 32 team feeds plus player feeds all coordinated to a central control room where directors/TDs cut the program for air. It’s a complicated production with a lot of moving parts.  I was a producer for the variety kids telethon for years and know what a huge technical undertaking that was, hence my amusement at those calling this draft nothing more than a fantasy draft ?

Video feeds between teams and the NFL, between staff of any team, and any prospects and the NFL are not required for the draft to succeed. 

Only video needed is of the commentators and whomever is announcing the picks. 

Numerous people in this thread are making a mountain out of a molehill. 

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Video feeds between teams and the NFL, between staff of any team, and any prospects and the NFL are not required for the draft to succeed. 

Sheesh, ya think!

On 4/21/2020 at 12:40 PM, Mark Vader said:

Yeah, I cannot imagine it is going to be so difficult to pull this off.

Its very simple.  You have everyone who is participating upgrade to business class internet.  

Two main video conferences.  The GM who is making the pick will have 2 monitors for each VC 

VC 1 - the draft videoconference 

VC 2- the team’s videoconference 

Most of the communication happens on the team videoconference.  When ready the GM announces the pick he uses VC 1.

Theres a lot of smart people working behind the scenes.  The fact that they can’t figure it out is kind of sad.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Its very simple.  You have everyone who is participating upgrade to business class internet.  

Two main video conferences.  The GM who is making the pick will have 2 monitors for each VC 

Most of the communication happens on the team videoconference.  When ready the GM announces the pick he uses VC 1.

Theres a lot of smart people working behind the scenes.  The fact that they can’t figure it out is kind of sad.

Absolutely. They are making this more complex than it really needs to be.

5 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Most of the communication happens on the team video conference.  When ready the GM announces the pick he uses VC 1.

Probably because they are using whatever service offered the most to advertise it.

It is how NFL got M$ Surface tablets.

On 4/22/2020 at 12:58 PM, LabattBlue said:

I waited until the draft coverage began, but as I originally stated, there are multiple feeds from multiple locations ....

On 4/21/2020 at 11:28 AM, MAJBobby said:

Ha ha ha Housework messing up a draft that would be great

I remember saying this may go better for some than others and being told this isn’t like Linda on her zoom meeting.

but it’s not THAT different really 

On 4/22/2020 at 4:00 PM, Phil The Thrill said:

what about when two scouts are stumping and trying to share video or data for their guys - and then the GM and HC want to private sidebar on it and then loop in the OC. 

some teams will flow better than others