Reports that the Virtual Mock NFL Draft Test didn't go to well

MAJBobby

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Video meetings among far more people at a time are happening everywhere every day.

There's nothing that should make this such a problem.

two things.

1) Are there?

32 Gms,

32 owners

32 directors or amateur scouting

100s of scouts

several different NFL heads to track progress.

The NFL Commisioner

not to mention each team having its own separate channel set up of its entire staff of 50 to 100 people on its own channel

2) how many of those meetings are being televised as the biggest event to happen in ages. Skype/Zoom/Hangout meetings are not made for TV.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

two things.

1) Are there?

32 Gms,

32 owners

32 directors or amateur scouting

100s of scouts

several different NFL heads to track progress.

The NFL Commisioner

not to mention each team having its own separate channel set up of its entire staff of 50 to 100 people on its own channel

2) how many of those meetings are being televised as the biggest event to happen in ages. Skype/Zoom/Hangout meetings are not made for TV.

All of those people would not be together in one space on a normal draft.  Why add them up?  Each team will be meeting via video independently.  If each team can't do a video meeting with the couple dozen of employees they would normally need for their "war room", then they are incompetent. 

As for "2)", so what?  If half the scouts and owners and GMs connections went dead for a portion of the draft we wouldn't know by watching.  We wouldn't care either.  Picks will be made.

• Like (+1) 1

Couple of things i'm interested in:

Trade calls, communications are typically done by individuals other than Beane, and how they will organize that information via zoom interests me. 

I imagine they may have multiple zoom rooms, perhaps in prioritized groups. I heard the Schefter interview with Dimitroff. His main meeting will only have 5 individuals. And perhaps one of those 5 will be charged with any necessary discussions with scouts etc. in a separate chat?

Their actual draft board. It's typically a large magenetic or touch screen on the wall. They'll have to use a live google doc or something like that to refresh and update the board after every pick I assume. 

6 hours ago, PIZ said:

I’m reading multiple tweets that say the issues with the virtual draft are overblown. Seems there were some early hiccups, but they worked through them. They will figure it out. 

Elway was on local TV talking about the mock draft and said everything is fine.

He did comment that the virtual draft could cause less trades than normal.

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

fantasy football owners don't have to communicate with a staff of scouts and pro personnel while on the clock, potentially a thousand miles away from each others, arguing over a prospect

It's always easier just to talk face-to-face

Jesus, there have been plain old conference calls for a million years where Fortune 500 companies would do huge business.  

Yes it easier to talk face to face but c'mon guys.  The potential pain points come with broadcasting this on TV and doing things like forgetting to mute your mic.

5 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

We have a meeting everyday on Skype with over 50 people with zero issues for about a month now. The NFL is funny.

Your 50 person Skype call isn't part of a high profile event that tens of millions of people will watch

Your 50 person Skype call is significantly less likely to draw the interest of cyber criminals, foreign cyberwarriors, terrorists, hacktivists, or script kiddies

5 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Fantasy drafts don’t involve multiple remote webcams at probably fifty locations

And these dont have to either.

2 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Your 50 person Skype call isn't part of a high profile event that tens of millions of people will watch

Your 50 person Skype call is significantly less likely to draw the interest of cyber criminals, foreign cyberwarriors, terrorists, hacktivists, or script kiddies

Companies do investor calls on Skype and other similar platforms all the time.

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Jesus, there have been plain old conference calls for a million years where Fortune 500 companies would do huge business.  

Yes it easier to talk face to face but c'mon guys.  The potential pain points come with broadcasting this on TV and doing things like forgetting to mute your mic.

I don't think it's the end of the world but football coaches and personnel people are very strong opinionated

it would just be a lot more streamline if they're in the same room opposed to  arguing about a player via conference call

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think it's the end of the world but football coaches and personnel people are very strong opinionated

it would just be a lot more streamline if they're in the same room opposed to  arguing about a player via conference call

I'm not arguing that it's not more streamlined but let's not act like this is impossible or even difficult.

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

Companies do investor calls on Skype and other similar platforms all the time.

Do you think they've ever been compromised?

Disrupting investor infomercials isn't going to get the attention of most of the bad actors that I mentioned.  Disrupting a highly public event on the other hand will

I think any disagreements and questions on players should be answered prior to the draft. They’ve set a board, I wonder how much communication goes on with scouts etc in a normal year. 

Edited by CBD
  • Like (+1) 1