Pass rusher Dee Ford available. Bills were interested last year

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2020/04/20/dee-ford-trade-rumors-chiefs-49ers-brett-veach-was-right/

San Francisco took a big risk in signing Ford, who had proven to be an effective pass rusher when available, but who was unable to stay healthy for long periods of time. The only seasons the defensive end was able to play in all 16 games came in 2015 and 2018.

He missed 10 games in 2017 with nagging and recurring back injuries, and in his lone year with the 49ers, Ford was again hampered by injury. He played in only 11 regular season games while nursing a hamstring injury most of the year.

He has been largely ineffective as a pass rusher in the playoffs throughout his career, too, logging only 2.5 sacks in eight career playoff games, including one in the 2019 playoffs.

Dee Ford's cap hits are pretty high but it's really just a 1 year deal as he can be cut after the year. I'de prefer Ford over Murphy if we're trying to make a Super Bowl run in 2020.

2 minutes ago, hmsmystic said:

I Don't want anything to with that contract PLUS having to trade a premium pick

Ford wouldn't be a premium pick. SF wants the cap space. 6th or 7th round pick gets it done.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Dee Ford's cap hits are pretty high but it's really just a 1 year deal as he can be cut after the year. I'de prefer Ford over Murphy if we're trying to make a Super Bowl run in 2020.

Ford wouldn't be a premium pick. SF wants the cap space. 6th or 7th round pick gets it done.

I doubt it. The Niners have 0 picks in the 2-4 rounds, and probably want at least a pick or 2 in there. They need a new starting guard, a decent receiver, and an impact DL. They need another early pick for that. I suspect they want to move down from 31 to aquire some, should they not aquire them through player trades. 

They have trouble selling 31, though. I suspect they take a WR or possibly one of the OT at 13.

I’d take Kwon Alexander off their hands in a heartbeat to play WILL. It would mean the end of Milano. But Kwon is awesome and has a nice connection with Leslie Frazier. And FYI, Kwon is a month younger than Matt Milano. I’d rather take Kwon’s contract than pay Matt 13 million per. 

No thanks on Dee Ford.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I’d take Kwon Alexander off their hands in a heartbeat to play WILL. It would mean the end of Milano. But Kwon is awesome and has a nice connection with Leslie Frazier. And FYI, Kwon is a month younger than Matt Milano. I’d rather take Kwon’s contract than pay Matt 13 million per. 

No thanks on Dee Ford.

My feelings exactly.

I'm far more interested in Kwon Alexander than Dee Ford.

12 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

I doubt it. The Niners have 0 picks in the 2-4 rounds, and probably want at least a pick or 2 in there. They need a new starting guard, a decent receiver, and an impact DL. They need another early pick for that. I suspect they want to move down from 31 to aquire some, should they not aquire them through player trades. 

They have trouble selling 31, though. I suspect they take a WR or possibly one of the OT at 13.

They aren't getting anything premium for Ford.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

One of my favorite sayings of all-time: wish in one hand, ? in the other, see which one fills up first. Given his injury history and contract, he's not going to fetch a high pick, regardless of how badly they "want" one...

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

No thanks on Dee Ford.

could we keep Kwon and Milano.  Have LB group of Edmonds, Kwon and Milano??

4 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

One of my favorite sayings of all-time: wish in one hand, ? in the other, see which one fills up first. Given his injury history and contract, he's not going to fetch a high pick, regardless of how badly they "want" one...

that is the oddest saying I've ever heard! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What is Ford's cap hit?  Thx.

19 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Which is why he and Ford are up for a trade.

The 49'ers have a lot of money invested in their defense.

IMO, only 2-3 LBs in the league are worth $16 million-plus cap hits.   

He's not one of them...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, hjnick said:

What is Ford's cap hit?  Thx.

Very high. $15.9 this year. But next year you can release him and save almost $13 million. So it's basically a 1 year prove it deal.

Save $7.5 releasing Murphy. I guess the question is Murphy at half the price a better asset to the Bills? It's possible the answer is yes. Murphy is a role player that does his job. Not much of pass rusher though.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede