Vintage Draft Day Threads

Rico

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I STARTED the Peterman thread?!?! :bag:

I need this to balance out being wrong on Josh. I told everyone in that thread Peterman was undraftable. It at the time was more controversial an opinion than not liking Allen as a 1st round pick a year later.... I have had plenty of unpopular opinions over my 7 years here.... but the only one I have ever had abusive PMs over was saying Nathan Peterman was terrible and I thought he was undraftable. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was such a delusional homer then.  Though I still stand by a few things:  whitner was a solid player who was overdrafted.  I wanted Bulaga but thought Spiller could be a weapon if used right.  And McKelvin was a great cover cb who had no ball skills.  

1 hour ago, eball said:

Oh @GunnerBill ...

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/205086-rd1-pick-7-josh-allen-qb-wyoming/?do=findComment&comment=5069064

Now I know Josh hasn't really "made it" yet but this is still a classic.

I wonder if Bears fans were puffing out their chests after much Mitch’s second season. 

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Good timing in this!!! That loser just led the Chiefs in postseason receiver and won a SB!!! What a loser.  

35 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I was such a delusional homer then.  Though I still stand by a few things:  whitner was a solid player who was overdrafted.  I wanted Bulaga but thought Spiller could be a weapon if used right.  And McKelvin was a great cover cb who had no ball skills.  

I wonder if Bears fans were puffing out their chests after much Mitch’s second season. 

Please continue crying about how the Bills broke your heart and you just can’t love again. We can’t get enough. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rico said:

46 pages, I don't know if I posted in it or not, afraid to look.

I did notice in the TJ Graham thread that there is no mention at all of Russell Wilson. Also in the Lil Donte thread, Bunkley's name gets dropped a whole lot more times than Ngata. Revisionists. :doh:

IMO, the people here who beat their chests and declare that they're knowledgeable about football are conspicuously quiet in pre-draft threads.  

• Like (+1) 1

Here’s my reply in the Allen thread:

“I hope they saw something special. Make or break time. Just have to trust the process now and see what happens.“

Some interesting background on this draft day: my house had flooded a week before the draft- a pipe burst in my kitchen upstairs while I was visiting my in-laws, and we lost half the house with the water falling to the first floor. We lived with my parents for about a week before moving into a hotel for 6 weeks- we checked into the hotel the day of the draft. After getting my family into the room, I went downstairs for a beer and sat with 6 businessmen in the lobby watching the draft. It was surreal as hell- they were mostly giants and jets fans and I think they were more excited for me than I was, but I think I was just so exhausted to be pumped. My initial reaction when I typed that was not “ I hope he doesn’t suck” but more “I hope we finally found the one”. I probably would have said that about any QB

Glad to say i came around pretty quickly... it was some time after all the craziness of life had settled down. I worked my normal job and spent my evenings hanging drywall and redoing most of my house with my dad. Later that year I took him to a preseason game as thanks to watch Josh in action for the first time against the panthers. I chose a preseason game because he’s not into huge crowds... and there had to be at least 50k people there that night hahaha. 

Maybe that’s why I like Josh so much now- I needed someone to cheer for and he was the chosen one. I think time will tell, but he might be something special after all.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Rico said:

OK, here's a good one... Right on. Pete! :thumbsup::

Apparently Fox Sports nailed it:

This according to Fox Sports...............

READY TO PLAY

Kyle Williams, DT, Buffalo Bills. Marv Levy is taking a lot of heat for this draft, but he found a fine player with the 134th selection. Williams is a high-energy defender who will fit in immediately as a rotation tackle. First-round pick John McCargo is a scout's dream who doesn't play to his potential. Williams is a coach's dream who hustles and makes a lot of plays but doesn't pass the tape measure tests. Don't be surprised if Williams is more productive this year.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t see it linked but I think in the Shaq Lawson thread I said the pick would get Whaley fired.  I was wright.

Drafting a player who was off other teams boards for a shoulder injury...who in a non-contact drill hurt said shoulder.  

That entire 2016 off-season was rough on Douglas.  

Eye opening!

Reading them may make me want to post this disclaimer if I post an opinion on draft night.

My views are subject to evolve/change.  It may also be very well affected at the moment by my very lousy mood at the moment and the amount of drinks in my system 

8 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Drafting a player who was off other teams boards for a shoulder injury...who in a non-contact drill hurt said shoulder.  

That entire 2016 off-season was rough on Douglas.  

Yes.  But then Shaq ended up being a good player.  Slow start strong finish - just like his pass rush moves.  It was still a horrible pick given the team’s needs.  So I was wrong/right.  

• Like (+1) 1