Best QB in the AFC East

Greg S

11 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I was thinking about this the other day too.  I think Josh Allen is already the best QB in the division.  

And then I thought - this is probably the first time in history that the Bills can claim that

If we could have ever claimed to have the best QB in the AFC East - it would certainly be very few times (at best).

Here is a year for you  -- 1980. The AFC East Quarterbacks were:

Jets -- Richard Todd

Dolphins - David Woodley

Patriots -- Steve Grogan

Colts (yes, for you youngsters out there - the Colts in the AFC East back then) - Bert Jones

Bills - Joe Ferguson

I think that the 1980 version of Joe Ferguson might have been the best of this group - although I always had a high opinion of Bert Jones.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

If we could have ever claimed to have the best QB in the AFC East - it would certainly be very few times (at best).

Jets -- Richard Todd

Dolphins - David Woodley

Patriots -- Steve Grogan

Colts (yes, for you youngsters out there - the Colts in the AFC East back then) - Bert Jones

Bills - Joe Ferguson

I think that the 1980 version of Joe Ferguson might have been the best of this group - although I always had a high opinion of Bert Jones.

I would have to give the edge to Jones. He was one of the best pure passers in the game during that time. Ferguson had a good year in 80 but overall he was up and down. In my lifetime Ferguson was the 2nd best QB to play for the Bills. Jack Kemp was before my time although he probably should be ahead Ferguson based on the back to back AFL championships he led the Bills to.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1

Jet fans are stewing hard over this. This reminds me of the Kelly/Marino rivalry. Marino was the slightly better passer, but Kelly had the better overall team. Couldn't explain that to phish fans. The majority of the Jet fan base thinks Darnold is good enough to overcome lack of talent and bad coaching/management. When he fails, they resort to excuses of that manner. Funny how they call Allen inaccurate yet Darnold threw more INTs in 4 less games in 2019

Edited by buffalo2218

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

Josh Allen is the worst.

Am I doing it right? I'm trying to act like the media. 

You forgot to add the Bills are overrated and will go 6-10 at best and the Patriots are the greatest sports franchise ever. Then you will sound like the media.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I would have to give the edge to Jones. He was one of the best pure passers in the game during that time. Ferguson had a good year in 80 but overall he was up and down. In my lifetime Ferguson was the 2nd best QB to play for the Bills. Jack Kemp was before my time although he probably should be ahead Ferguson based on the back to back AFL championships he led the Bills to.

As a passer Fergie is the 2nd best Bills QB of all time.  Hoping Josh eventually bumps him down to 3rd.

At this moment it's Allen and I hope it stays that way but.....

I think Darnold will have the better career and be the better QB but that depends on how quickly the Jets get rid of Gase. Darnold might have to move away from New Jersey to overtake Allen. But then he won't be in the AFC East (probably).

2 minutes ago, BritBill said:

I think Darnold will have the better career and be the better QB but that depends on how quickly the Jets get rid of Gase. Darnold might have to move away from New Jersey to overtake Allen. But then he won't be in the AFC East (probably).

Jets fans are hoping Joe Douglas does for them what Beane has done for the Bills. But if the Jets are going to get better then Gase will have to go. He is terrible IMHO but I hope he stays their HC for the obvious reason. JD has a 6 year contract with the Jets so the chances he gets to hire his own HC is probably a good one.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Posted this vid the other day in a different thread. I get the biggest kick out of Clark. He begrudgingly says Allen Is the best but it’s totally backhanded and you can tell its physically and emotionally paining him to admit it. 

I mean it’s a little different than the NFC South, right?   

54 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Jets -- Richard Todd

Dolphins - David Woodley

Patriots -- Steve Grogan

Bills - Joe Ferguson

If Jones didn't get injured, he would be one of the best ever. Much better than Fergy, who WAS good, but not even close to Jones.

Jmo.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Posted this vid the other day in a different thread. I get the biggest kick out of Clark. He begrudgingly says Allen Is the best but it’s totally backhanded and you can tell its physically and emotionally paining him to admit it. 

To be fair, it's probably the worst division in the league in terms of QB play right now. The fact that it's a debate between Darnold and Allen is pretty sad.

46 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Yeah, I don't remember 1980 Bert Jones very well, but overall he just crushed Sad Sack Fergy. Fergy did have a good year in 1980 though.

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

I was thinking about this the other day too.  I think Josh Allen is already the best QB in the division.  

And then I thought - this is probably the first time in history that the Bills can claim that

Who was better than Jim Kelly and the 4 superbowls that he led us to?

56 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Ferguson was five times better than Kemp, and I liked Kemp. But Saban would regularly pull Kemp in the middle of games and put Lamonica in to jump start the offense. 

34 minutes ago, BritBill said:

And what evidence is there of that? Darnold is an INT machine and was in college too. His coach doesn't cause him to throw INT's.

9 minutes ago, hjnick said:

Who was better than Jim Kelly and the 4 superbowls that he led us to?

As far as best QB in the division during this time many would give the nod to Marino. Both were great QB's but Marino was probably better. Jim had the better team which is why the Bills won most of the games between the two.

• Like (+1) 1